Spawn of a lustful god, a born chessplayer is doomed a trifler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spawn of a lustful god, a born chessplayer is doomed a trifler

Spawn of a lustful god, a born chessplayer is doomed a trifler - Phil Marinelli

Phil Marinelli is known in Windsor as a long-time chessplayer and natural story-teller. In the used bookstores and library sales he is my nemesis as our interests often intersect when the books in question deal with poetry and prose or great literature. No one else that I run into have much interest in the books that interest me other than Phil.

Recently he gave me a manuscript which Ray Stone had previously seen and told me about. The manuscript is a book of poetry. It is a tribute to chess, life and memory with a healthy dose of Greek mythology, Catholic influences and throughout the game of chess as the stage for this drama. It is something which Phil has been working on for a lifetime. The work is somewhat haunted and haunting with a hint of acknowledged but unrepentent, unapologetic guilt, and the presence of some friendly ghosts and characters we all know.

"Two spheres, World and Chess Dance coincidentally."

We meet the King blood thirsty.

"I was not even
    in control
    of I.

And growling, or killing
    couldn't change that. Oh, sure, I could beget
    rivers of blood.

I could burn or pillage a town; or a tribe, or
    a nation - I could kill the story-teller~
    I could kill all the story-tellers.

But I couldn't kill the stories -
    they had a life of their own."

We meet all the characters. The rook struts down the street with his bulging biceps. The captured pawn leaves a space. The queen sheds a tear as she sacrifices herself. I look forward to seeing this as a book that I can hold in my hand.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 2nd February, 2015, 02:18 PM.
Working...
X