X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tbilisi FIDE Grand Prix

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    What was the betting line on that game?
    I don't know the precise numbers, Gary, but I seem to recall that Kasimdzhanov was the slight favourite with White and Jobava roughly 3 to 1. Anyone who had money on Jobava can not be happy - unless of course they bet the draw odds (which were just under or just over even money).

Comment

There were 7 draws again today so we now know the final standings. More importantly, we now know the Grand Prix composite standings. None of the 4 players - Mamedyarov, Radjabov, Andreikin, and Kasimdzhanov - who played their last Grand Prix game today have any chance whatsoever of finishing in the top 2 and securing one of the 2 Grand Prix Candidates spots. Mamedyarov is currently listed as 2nd but Caruana is guaranteed to surpass him since Caruana will tack on a minimum 10 more points (i.e. a last place finish) in Khanty-Mansiysk. You can find the full standings at this Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIDE_Gr...014%E2%80%9315

Comment

Tbilisi 2015

Round Eleven
        February 27, 2015

The Tbilisi Grand Prix ended with six draws in the final round, just like yesterday. Evgeny Tomashevsky secured first place yesterday and today, Dmitry Jakovenko took second and Teimour Radjabov, third. Dmitry Andreikin, winner of the previous Grand Prix in Tashkent, finished in last place this time.

Tomashevsky played a KID again but really did not make too much of an impression against Radjabov.

Tbilisi 2015
        Round 11, Feb. 27
        Tomashevsky, Evgeny – Radjabov, Teimour
        E90, King’s Indian, 5. Nf3

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 O-O 6.h3 e5 7.d5 Nh5 8.g3 f5 9.exf5 gxf5 10.Nh4 Nf6 11.Bg5 Na6 12.Bd3 h6 13.Be3 Nh7 14.Qh5 e4 15.Bc2 Nb4 16.O-O-O Nxc2 17.Kxc2 Bd7 18.Bd4 Qg5 19.Qe2 Bxd4 20.Rxd4 Qf6 21.Qe3 Ng5 22.Ne2 a5 23.Nf4 Kh7 24.Kb1 b6 25.Rc1 Rae8 26.Rd2 Rf7 27.Rdc2 Rfe7 28.Nhg6 Rg7 29.Nh4 Rge7 30.Nhg6 Rg7 31.Nh4 1/2-1/2

Mamedyarov and Svidler were out of the money and had a 13-move draw.

Jakovenko-Kasimdzhanov was a draw, as was Grischuk-Vachier-Lagrave.

(ChessVibes) - Without a doubt the most interesting game of the round was GM Baadur Jobava vs Dmitry Andreikin. A Chebanenko Slav quickly left theory, and then Andreikin played a typical exchange sacrifice that is known from a topical line in the Queen's Gambit Accepted.
        Jobava couldn't easily untangle on the kingside and had to give back the exchange and a pawn. After some tough defense he held the draw.

Tbilisi 2015
        Round Eleven, Feb. 27
        Jobava, Baadur – Andreikin, Dmitry
        D15 QGD Slav Accepted (4…a6)

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6 5.Bg5 dxc4 6.a4 h6 7.Bxf6 exf6 8.e3 b5 9.axb5 cxb5 10.Nxb5 axb5 11.Rxa8 Bb7 12.Ra1 Bb4+ 13.Nd2 Qd6 14.f3 O-O 15.Kf2 f5 16.g3 Bxd2 17.Qxd2 Bxf3 18.Kxf3 Qd5+ 19.Kf2 Qxh1 20.Qa5 Nc6 21.Bg2 Qxg2+ 22.Kxg2 Nxa5 23.Rxa5 Rb8 24.Kf3 b4 25.Ke2 g6 26.Kd2 Rc8 27.Rb5 c3+ 28.bxc3 bxc3+ 29.Kc2 Kf8 30.Rc5 Ra8 31.Kb3 Ra1 32.Rxc3 Rh1 33.Rc2 Re1 34.Kc4 Rxe3 35.Kc5 g5 36.d5 f4 37.gxf4 gxf4 38.Kd4 Ke7 39.Rf2 Rh3 40.Ke4 f3 41.Rxf3 Rxh2 42.d6+ Ke6 43.d7 Rd2 44.Rh3 1/2-1/2

(ChessVibes) - The last game of the tournament to finish was GM Anish Giri vs Leinier Dominguez. Either player would have joined Radjabov in third place with a win, which would have meant a cheque of 12,000 Euro. However, the game was drawn, and both got 9,875 Euro for a shared fourth place.

The game was a Bogo-Indian, although it soon looked like a King's Indian or Breyer Ruy Lopez. White was slightly better, as Black's knight on g7 wasn't great (and his e7-bishop not much better than in a KID). However, without the rooks it was easier for Black to hold the draw.

Tbilisi 2015
        Round 11, Feb. 27
        Giri, Anish – Dominguez Perez, Leinier
        E11 Bogo-Indian Defence, Grunfeld Variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4+ 4.Nbd2 O-O 5.a3 Be7 6.e4 d6 7.Be2 c5 8.d5 Nbd7 9.O-O e5 10.Ne1 Ne8 11.Nd3 g6 12.b4 b6 13.a4 a5 14.bxa5 Rxa5 15.Nb3 Ra6 16.Bh6 Ng7 17.Qd2 Nf6 18.f3 Kh8 19.a5 Ng8 20.Be3 f5 21.axb6 Rxa1 22.Rxa1 Qxb6 23.Qc2 Nf6 24.Nf2 Bd7 25.Rb1 Rb8 26.Nd2 Qa7 27.Rxb8+ Qxb8 28.f4 exf4 29.Bxf4 fxe4 30.g4 Qf8 31.Be3 h5 32.h3 hxg4 33.hxg4 Nge8 34.Kg2 Qg7 35.Qb1 Kg8 36.Qb8 Bf8 37.Qb3 Qe7 38.Bf4 e3 39.Qxe3 Qxe3 40.Bxe3 Be7 41.Kg3 Nh7 42.Nf3 Kg7 43.Bd3 Kf7 44.Bc2 Kg7 45.Bd2 Nef6 46.Bc3 Kf7 47.Nh4 Nf8 48.Nf3 Bc8 49.Ng5+ Kg8 50.Nf3 Ba6 51.Bd3 Kf7 52.Ba5 Ke8 53.Kf4 Bd8 54.Bc3 Be7 55.Nd2 N6d7 56.Nd1 Bf6 57.Bxf6 Nxf6 58.Ne3 N6d7 59.Nf3 Kf7 60.Bf1 Kf6 61.Ng5 Ke7 62.Ne4 Nh7 63.Be2 Nhf6 1/2-1/2

_________

Tomashevsky got 20,000 Euro for his first place and Jakovenko, 16,000 Euro. Tomashevsky won ahead of the favorites Giri and Grischuk and is a popular and battle-scarred veteran.

Baadur Jobava is a volatile, gifted player with a big conscience and it is impossible (for me) to predict his results for the next year.

Alexander Grischuk fell this time around but may redeem himself in Khanty-Mansiysk. I like what one commentator said about him, “GM Grischuk is a great chess player, but looking at his pictures there is this developing and irresistible urge to lend him a hairbrush every time.”

Anish Giri can only get better.

The fourth and final Grand Prix will be held May 13-27 in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia. After it finishes, the top two players in the overall standings will have qualified for the 2026 Candidates Tournament.

_________

Final Standing at Tbilisi

Tomashevsky 8
        Jakovenko 6.5
        Radjabov 6
        Mamedyarov 5.5
        Kasimdzhanov 5.5
        Giri 5.5
        Dominguez 5.5
        Jobava 5
        Grischuk 5
        Vachier-Lagrave 5
        Svidler 4.5
        Andreikin 4

Grand Prix 2014-2015 Standing

Tomashevsky 82(1) + 170(3) + x(4) = 252
        Mamedyarov 35(1) + 125(2) + 75(3) = 235
        Caruana 155(1) + 75(2) + x(4) = 230
        Radjabov 50(1) + 50(2) + 110(3) = 210
        Nakamura 82(1) + 125(2) + x(4) = 207
        Andreikin 20(1) + 170(2) + 10(3) = 200
        Gelfand 155(1) + 15(2) + x(4) = 170
        Jakovenko 30(2) + 140(3) + x(4) = 170
        Karjakin 82(1) + 75(2) + x(4) = 157
        Kasimdzhanov 35(1) + 15(2) + 75(3) = 125
        Grischuk 82(1) + 40 (3) + x(4) = 122
        MVL 75(2) + 40(3) + x(4) = 115
        Jobava 75(2) + 40(3) + x(4) = 115
        Giri 40(2) + 75(3) + x(4) = 115
        Svidler 82(1) + 20(3) + x(4) = 102
        Dominguez 10(1) + 75(3) + x(4) = 85

X = points earned at Khanty, which is (4).

(1) = Baku, (2) = Tashkent and (3) = Tbilisi

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

Anish Giri can only get better.
          He'll have to do that to win events in the top tier. A win today would have been a tie for 3rd.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

With Tbilisi over, here are the 'Chess By The Numbers' odds for finishing in the top 2 after Khanty-Mansiysk. Grischuk has dropped from 40% to 3%, Giri from 14% to 2%, and MVL from 15% to 1% ):

https://chessnumbers.wordpress.com/w...rix-2014-2015/

Comment

Despite just finishing yesterday, Tbilisi has been incorporated into the new March ratings.

http://ratings.fide.com/top.phtml?list=men

Comment

Tbilisi 2015

Interview with Evgeny Tomashevsky

(Excerpts from a chess-news-ru interview conducted by E. Surov, after the final round [Feb. 27, 2015])

E.SUROV: We are now in Tbilisi, in a Georgian restaurant. Bon appetite! By the way, how do you like the food here in Tbilisi?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: Georgian cuisine is wonderful! The meat dishes, khachapuri, salads, beans - everything is great. Now, we are having mostly khinkali on the table, it's also great. [...]

E.SUROV: How do you like Tbilisi, in general?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: I have been feeling very comfortable here. As I've already mentioned during the press conference, Georgian culture is popular in our family. Moreover, it's also popular in my hometown of Saratov. That's why it's pleasure for me to play in Tbilisi. I've been feeling here like at home, which could probably be noticed.

E.SUROV: You are among the three favorites of the whole Grand Prix series. Will you try to instill something in your mind and play the Khanty-Mansiysk stage as if nothing has happened?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: I'm not going to instill anything in my mind, I will just keep playing as usual. If you aren't calm, it lessens your chances. What's the point of being worried? I think one of the factors that assured my good result in this stage was exactly my objective perception of the tournament situation during each part of it. What's the point of depriving myself of this advantage voluntarily? [...] One should just come, play and be calm. It's only in the course of a tournament that you could think about your chances and things like that.

E.SUROV: Anyway, what are the other factors beside calmness, that have assured your success?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: First of all, I came prepared really well. Not only I've been long working on chess in general - I was also preparing exactly for this tournament for 2 months. That's why I didn't play at all after the Qatar open. Apart from the openings, I've prepared physically and psychologically. Alexei Iljushin has also done a good job.

E.SUROV: Alexei Iljushin is your coach and second, isn't he?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: Yes, he is my coach, second, and friend. He is almost like brother for me. Besides, my family was also helping me during the preparation by creating the necessary atmosphere. So, the preparation had been really long and targeted, and it has worked. In addition, the tournament went successfully for me from the very beginning.

E.SUROV: Another question: 'How does your average day go in terms of training? How many hours per day do you study? How much of this time is allotted to solving tactical puzzles?'

E.TOMASHEVSKY: It's a good question. Even though I've been asked it repeatedly in my interviews, the answer would always be different, because, for example, the amount of work we've done as the preparation for the Grand Prix has been really large. When you are to prepare for a serious tournament, the preparation takes nearly all your time. It's hard to say exactly how much it takes per day on average. Sometimes it's up to 10 hours, while sometimes you feel you should take some break. But on average, you have to work every day intensely and a lot. As for solving tactics... 'For a chess player, solving tactics is the same as practicing scales for a piano player', as Yury Sergeevich Razuvaev (Tomashevsky's long-term coach in the past - CN) would say. In general, I can't say I need it badly, but anyway, it's better to 'practice scales' now and then, just to keep your mind agile, to keep up the rhythm. So, I think one should do tactical exercises from time to time anyway. I don't know exactly how much time I spend solving tactics, but it's a part of my preparation, of course.

E.SUROV: I can't help asking yet another typical question. Your marriage hasn't influenced your rating yet, has it?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: It has. Positively.

E.SUROV: Positively? How is this possible? Please tell me the secret.

E.TOMASHEVSKY: Why not? Maybe it had happened a couple of times that someone had lost his rating after the marriage, and then this 'rule' has been formulated. It seems to me it's about unconfirmed statistics again. Besides, it depends very much on your chosen one. Actually, I'd like to thank my wife a lot and dedicate this victory to her (although she isn't too fond of public panegyrics). I'm very lucky in this respect, and maybe my success in Tbilisi is the result of my marriage.

E.SUROV: After this, I even feel a bit reluctant to ask the next question that came from our Vkontakte group: 'What game from this Grand Prix stage is the most memorable for you'?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: [...] The most memorable game in a tournament is usually the decisive one, which has brought the victory. In Tbilisi, it was the game vs Andreikin, which was also the most difficult and crazy. On the other hand, I can't say that any other game from Tbilisi isn't dear to me. Let me single out the game vs Grischuk: it was the critical one both in psychological and sportive respect. After it, I realized I got the real chance for a high place, because Grischuk is probably the most uncomfortable opponent for me among the top players. I used to hardly draw him, let alone beating him.

E.SUROV: Vladimir Fomin: 'No one could suppose that you would have such a brilliant and smooth tournament.' By the way, Vladimir thought Andreikin was the favorite. 'I wonder if anything had happened in your life that contributed to this success? I understand that you had prepared well, but to win so convincingly, by such a wide margin - it requires some particular burst of energy. Where did it come from?'

E.TOMASHEVSKY: First of all, I think that some people could have supposed it - they are my parents. Sometimes it seems to me that my family believes in me much more than I believe in myself. Before each tournament, my dad tells me, calmly and routinely, that I will win, and describes how I will win. Usually I just smile, but sometimes I really win tournaments, which made me think - maybe he wasn't so wrong after all? My mom also supports me a lot. Now my wife is a big support as well.

E.SUROV: Do your parents watch your games live during the tournaments?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: One can hardly drag them away from the monitor!

E.SUROV: Are they also chess players?

E.TOMASHEVSKY: Rather, they are not. [...] They are just rooting for me, and it seems to help. Now, I've also got great mother-in-law and father-in-law, who are also my supporters. In fact, the whole Saratov roots for me - I have many friends there, and this gives me a huge impact. It's real pleasure to feel that you aren't playing on your own.

These are just bits from a much longer interview available, in English, at:

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18286

Comment

Working...
                X