23rd Super-Tournament Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23rd Super-Tournament Victory

Dennis Monokroussos reports at his 'The Chess Mind' blog that the Grenke Chess Classic win by Carlsen was his 23rd super-tournament victory, the same number as the two former World Champions, Anand and Kramnik in their illustrious careers. Wikipedia has a 'List of strong chess tournaments' and I've verified the 23 number for Carlsen, 1 in 2007, 3 in 2008, 2 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 4 in 2011, 3 in 2012, 2 in 2013, 2 in 2014, and 2 already in 2015.

I haven't as yet ascertained the numbers for Karpov and Kasparov which I suspect are more than 23 but I did see that Alekhine likely heads up the all-time list with 38 super-tournament victories. Carslen certainly has a good chance at surpassing that number by the time he's 30 or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ss_tournaments
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Tuesday, 10th February, 2015, 04:59 PM.

Re: 23rd Super-Tournament Victory

Considering Magnus is only 24 that puts an entirely different perspective on things. Id be interested to see Kasparov's tally.

Comment

Just for you, Hans. Top super-tournament winners appear to be:

1. Alekhine 38
      2. Karpov 36
      3. Kasparov 32
      4. Carlsen, Anand, Kramnik 23

Comment

What sort of list doesn't include Candidates tournaments, Interzonal tournaments and Soviet Championships? I wonder how many Dortmunds Kramnik would trade to have won either of the last two Candidates tournaments, for example.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

FWIW Jack I think Karpov's 36 is better than Alekhines 38 but no need to argue and those are the stats. Needless to say Magnus is already more than halfway to overtaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            What sort of list doesn't include Candidates tournaments, Interzonal tournaments and Soviet Championships? I wonder how many Dortmunds Kramnik would trade to have won either of the last two Candidates tournaments, for example.
            I agree Tom better criteria are needed.

Comment

Working...
            X