Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWC TD - Decision Making Issues/Protests

I wondered if some players had witnessed these games:

The game Saposhnikov vs. Gladstone. Gladstone lost on time in an obviously drawn position B+R vs R endgame. Simon was trying to get the attention of the TD to get a draw but to no avail.

Another Game: Teodoro vs. Yuan. Teodoro in a winning position with two Bishop and a passed pawn against a Rook. Should the TD informed that both already reached the 40 moves in 2 hours. Teodoro could have won the game easily. Time scramble to reached the 2nd time control resulted in lost which has been a won endgame.

You should have watched these games and if you think that the TD had done a good job, i doubt it!

Re: PWC TD - Decision Making Issues/Protests

Originally posted by Precy Mckoy View Post
    The game Saposhnikov vs. Gladstone. Gladstone lost on time in an obviously drawn position B+R vs R endgame. Simon was trying to get the attention of the TD to get a draw but to no avail.

Stop your clock and go for the TD, if you have less than 2 min.
    "B+R vs R endgame" is not so obvious draw. I mean, the defended must show that he can defend, and a winning side must show that it tries to win. The TD can make a decision to draw a game even after the time elapsed.

Should the TD informed that both already reached the 40 moves in 2 hours.
    Your question is tricky. Lets say you want to ask if the TD must inform that 40 moves were made. Than the answer is No.
    If you want to ask if the TD must take care of moves number after one's flag fallen (2 hours passed), than Yes.

FIDE rules:
    "If neither player is required to keep score under Article 8.4, the arbiter or an assistant should try to be present and keep score. In this case, immediately after one flag has fallen, the arbiter shall stop the clocks. Then both players shall update their scoresheets, using the arbiter`s or the opponent`s scoresheet."

Comment

Hi Precy:

I'm not a TD, but I'll give my opinion based on what I think I've learned from experience:

Sapozhnikov-Gladstone: If Simon wanted to make a draw claim, he has the right to pause the clock and advise Roman he is calling the director to make a claim.

Teodoro-Yuan: When a player has less than 5 min., and has stopped recording, he suffers all consequences of that. If he has not ticked off the moves at least, and has no idea when the 40th move has been reached, that is his problem. It's up to him to decide if and when he will stop blitzing because he is sure they have passed 40 moves. There is no obligation on Yuan to notify him, assuming she was still keeping score, when 40 moves had been reached. In fact the rule is she cannot talk to the opponent except to offer a draw, resign or advise of a claim to the TD. And I don't think the TD can interfere in this position - he cannot save the blitzing player from the consequences of their poor time management.

My best take on it. Other opinions?

Bob

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Precy Mckoy

Stop your clock and go for the TD, if you have less than 2 min.
        "B+R vs R endgame" is not so obvious draw. I mean, the defended must show that he can defend, and a winning side must show that it tries to win. The TD can make a decision to draw a game even after the time elapsed.
        Isn't that what increments were made for? As a spectator (briefly) at the event I noticed the large number of digital clocks in use and wondered why increment-equivalents of the time controls were not allowed/mandated (as they are in FQE events).

Comment

B+R vs. R is an incredibly difficult endgame. Here is how Kamsky lost it just the other day (from chessbase):

(7) Akopian,Vl (2696) - Kamsky,G (2720) [C07]
          4th FIDE GP Nalchik RUS (5), 19.04.2009

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.Ngf3 cxd4 6.Bc4 Qd6 7.0-0 Nf6 8.Nb3 Nc6 9.Nbxd4 Nxd4 10.Nxd4 Be7 11.b3 0-0 12.Bb2 Qf4 13.Qe2 Rd8 14.Rad1 Bd7 15.Bd3 Bc5 16.Nf3 Bc6 17.Ne5 Be4 18.Rde1 Bf5 19.g3 Bxd3 20.Nxd3 Qf5 21.Nxc5 Qxc5 22.c4 Ne8 23.Rd1 Qc6 24.Rd3 Rxd3 25.Qxd3 f6 26.Rd1 Rc8 27.Qd7 Qxd7 28.Rxd7 Rc7 29.Rd8 Kf7 30.Ba3 e5 31.g4 g6 32.Kg2 h5 33.h3 a6 34.Bb4 b5 35.cxb5 axb5 36.Rb8 Rc2 37.Rb7+ Kg8 38.Rb8 Kf7 39.Rb7+ Kg8 40.gxh5 gxh5 41.a4 bxa4 42.bxa4 Ra2 43.a5 Ra4 44.Kf3 f5 45.Ke2 Nf6 46.Kd1 Nd5 47.Bd2 Ra2 48.Rb5 Nf4 49.Rxe5 Ra1+ 50.Kc2 Ra2+ 51.Kc3 Nxh3 52.Rxf5 Nxf2 53.Bc1 Re2 54.Rxh5 Kf7 55.Kb3 Nd3 56.Ba3 Ne5 57.Rh7+ Ke6 58.Re7+ Kd5 59.a6 Rg2 60.Ka4 Nc4 61.a7 Rg8 62.Rb7? [62.Rc7! Nxa3 63.Kxa3 Kd6 64.Rg7! ] 62...Ra8 63.Rb5+ Kc6 64.Bc5 Kc7 65.Rb4 Rg8 66.Rxc4 Kb7 67.Ka5 Rc8 68.Rb4+ Ka8 69.Rb5 Re8 70.Bd4 Rc8 71.Rd5 Kb7 72.Bb6 Rg8 73.Kb5 Re8 74.a8Q+ Kxa8 75.Kc6? 75...Re6+ 76.Kc7 Re7+ 77.Kd6 Rh7 78.Kc6 Rh6+ 79.Kc7 Rh7+ 80.Kc8 Rh8+? Now White can win. [80...Rh5! is the move to draw.] 81.Bd8 Rh7 82.Ra5+ Ra7 83.Rb5 Rb7 84.Rh5 Rf7 85.Ra5+ Ra7 86.Rb5 Rb7 87.Re5 Rh7 88.Re1 Rb7 89.Ra1+ Ra7 90.Rb1 Rb7 91.Re1 Rh7 92.Re2 Rb7 93.Be7? Rb8+? [93...Rxe7!= ] 94.Kc7 Rb7+ 95.Kc6 Ra7 96.Bd8 Rh7 97.Bc7 Rh6+ 98.Bd6 1-0

Comment

I saw the end of that game though I was not in a position to observe the clock. Simon lost the rook unless my mind was playing tricks on me. I went over to where Larry Bevand was selling books and commented on what a heartbreaking ending it was for young Simon after working long and hard against a much higher rated opponent. As someone else commented B+R vs. R is a very difficult ending for the weaker side to hold. The TD would be stepping outside the rules to declare that position a draw. You have the fifty move rule and three fold repetition claim if it is possible to hold the position. Any TD that made such a ruling would be one that I would avoid in future decisions about tournament participation. Mr. Lamb was definitely a very good TD in the two tournaments that I observed him at work.

I have had an inexperienced TD muse about making a ruling of a draw in a game where I was playing in a rook ending with all pawns on one side but the specifics of the position were such that it was not a draw and I was way ahead on time. Just because a position may be a theoretical draw with best play and with the defensive pieces ideally placed is not an adequate reason for a TD to step in and make any kind of a ruling.

Another Game: Teodoro vs. Yuan. Teodoro in a winning position with two Bishop and a passed pawn against a Rook. Should the TD informed that both already reached the 40 moves in 2 hours. Teodoro could have won the game easily. Time scramble to reached the 2nd time control resulted in lost which has been a won endgame.

You should have watched these games and if you think that the TD had done a good job, i doubt it!
            I think that in the second case the TD would be helping one of the participants if he made any type of comment and that would be outside the rules. If Eduardo's opponent Yuanling had a complete scoresheet then he could have looked there for confirmation on the number of moves. I believe that it is illegal to hide the scoresheet but you have given no indication that this happened.

There were well over a hundred games to monitor. The TD could not be expected to be on top of every one of them. I do recall a speech from either the TD or one of the organizers on the correct procedure to summon the TD. I don't think that the TD could be expected to intervene in either of your example situations so your case for criticizing the very fine work of Mr. Lamb is more of a case of your own lack of understanding of the rules than any bad reflection on his excellent work.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

I was able to make it to watch the final round.

My only comments about Precy's are that because of the size of the sections, Bryan could have asked for Assistant TD's to watch games in Time trouble.
              I think though he would have to designate these Assistant TD's at the start of Round one so all would know who they were.

I think that a R+B vs R has been moved up to a 75 move rule rather than the old 50 move rule.

As far as I know a player can tell his opponent he is stopping the clock to seek the TD and if the claim is wrong the opponent can get a time adjustment.

Reminds me of the good ol' days when 40/2 caused lots of time scrambles.
              Exciting for the spectators but dissappointing for the losers.

Comment

It seems that a player should be ticking off the moves to know when they've gotten to time control, then is obligated to use the opponents score sheet to update their score sheet before moving again.

From the handbook "If a player has less than five minutes left on his clock at some stage in a period and does not have additional time of 30 seconds or more added with each move, then he is not obliged to meet the requirements of Article 8.1. Immediately after one flag has fallen the player must update his scoresheet completely before moving a piece on the chessboard". I'm not sure what happens if your opponent has made mistakes on the scoresheet.
                If both are in time trouble then a TD is required & you should be able to stop the clock & get one. Speaking of stopping clocks I think you can also note your time when you wanted the clock stopped & ask your opponent to stop the clock, as with so many varied digital clock models out there I have to admit I don't know where all the pause buttons are but your opponent should know how to stop his model of clock. I was in a position in Niagara Falls where my opponent got a clock but apparently didn't know how to set it up as it wasn't his and when the time control was met his clock froze at 0:00, I had to get the TD to fix the clock as he was in the process of taking a long think with the clock not couting down. The clock was reset with his clock showing an hour & couting down, I should actually have asked that it be deducted some time that he had used, which would have become important later on.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  I think that a R+B vs R has been moved up to a 75 move rule rather than the old 50 move rule.
                  Yes, but that happened in 1988 - since 1992 the 50 move rule has applied to all endings. (In 1928 FIDE authorized 132 moves for R + B vs. R - yikes!)

Comment

Working...
                  X