Richard Riedstra memorial tournament (planned) 14th-15th March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Riedstra memorial tournament (planned) 14th-15th March

At Kitchener's city hall, March 14th and 15th is the (planned) Richard Riedstra memorial chess tournament. Players inquiring to play may preregister Ed Thompson (to edthompson@netflash.net - agreeing to provide assistance for those registrants) to qualify for a savings of $10 ($50 instead of $60) possible discount. Toronto chess news, the CFC newsfeed and Chess Canada's newsletter editors have been emailed earlier in the month as well.

http://www.chess.ca/tournaments might also be providing a link of the details as well in the coming week or 2.

---

I haven't been able to visit chesstalk often lately; perhaps one of the alternate organizers of the Kitchener city hall chess club will be able to expand on any discussions about a preregistered list, costs, round times, time-controls, parking, etc.

I've still been watching for a few other dates (please see: http://www.psmcd.net as the dates appear in his calendar - addendum: some dates for 2015 have now been confirmed at the Kitchener city hall club site which he administers; thanks!) of chess events, such as the Waterloo regional chess challenge, OYCC, our April active event (Brian Clarke could be the contact for this event), and the Kitchener team tournament (an active with match-point style of pairings) which usually occurs about 6-8 weeks after the other spring active event.

---

The city of Kitchener chess club looks forward to visiting with friendly faces again, and would also like to invite new members to enjoy the experience of a visit to Kitchener-Waterloo.
    Last edited by Kai G. Gauer; Sunday, 1st March, 2015, 04:55 PM. Reason: Edited details for contacts to preregister

Re: Richard Riedstra memorial tournament (planned) 14th-15th March

Saturday, Sunday- March 14,15, 2015– Richard Reidstra Memorial – five
    rounds – TC Game in 90 min plus 30 s with Round One Game in 60 min plus 10 s.
    Entry Fee: $60 or with preregistration $50 TD Brian Clarke
    Reg: edthompson@netflash.net
    Kitchener City Hall, 200 King St West, registration on site 9am, first rd 10am Saturday March 14

Comment

Great to see a memorial tournament for this fine gentleman, good luck with it Hans!

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
        March 14th and 15th is the (planned) Richard Riedstra memorial chess tournament.

I've still been watching for a few other dates (please see: http://www.psmcd.net as the dates appear in his calendar)
        On the same days the Aurora Open takes place. A similar format too.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          On the same days the Aurora Open takes place. A similar format too.
          I'm hoping for some global warming to kick in so I can attend one or both of these events (if rescheduled to remove the conflict). I still need to gain 59 points to qualify for the Canadian Closed.

Comment

We are going to have to go with this date here in Kitchener. We were booked well in advance and have been in this slot for 3 years now after moving so as not to conflict with the Toronto Reading Week Open (in February).

Comment

As long as there is a KW Chess Club there will be a Richard Riedstra Memorial every year. Richard had a great vision. (thanks to Mahmud for furthering the idea of this tournament and thanks Brad for mentioning it)

Comment

Count me in Hans and Ed! Maybe I can bring some Guelphites

Comment

Great Hal! It'll be good to see you playing!

Comment

I am looking forward to it Hans - I suspect my opponents are looking forward to it even more...

Comment

Do you have a pre-registered list?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Chen View Post
                        Do you have cash prizes/trophies? I mean a tournament flyer?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Chen View Post
                          Hello Richard,

Due to family issues, I haven't been at the local club to check in much to see who is distributing a prize fund. However, after contact club President Mario Piccinin 3 weeks ago, he ( mvp@embreellp.ca - who agreed to also accept registrations before Mr Jung notified me that Ed might also be accepting inquiries/registrations) or Ed Thompson (email?! - see above; not sure that he's on chesstalk much however) might be able to provide such details - if not the club's secretary, Hans Jung.

Dates for a couple of other tournaments have also been more officially announced (the club's websites are the official source, and hosted by the psmcd.net network in previous seasons, the webmaster having also been busy with other extracurricular events related to the club) after confirming bookings of dates with city hall for some of the spring and summer tournaments advertised elsewhere (TCN, CCN, CFC newsfeed, etc).

I won't personally be able to play, but I might be able to drop by for an hour or so on the weekend.

Comment

The preregisters that I have are: Andrew Peredun 2360, Hans Jung 2301, Gord Olheiser 2150, Mahmud Hassain 2002, Hal Bond 1786, Dennis Shamroni 1771, Istvan Kiss 1741, Daniel Yu 1385, Jamie MacInnis 968. I have not received an update.

The only tournament flyer is the same as the posting #2 above.

Comment

the name Jamie MacInnis seems familiar....seems to me he played in the Canadian Amateur rookie section....

Comment

Working...
                              X