Sitzfleisch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitzfleisch

GM Yasser Seirawan's article at 'St. Louis Public Radio' introduces a new German word to me, sitzfleisch (:

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/...les-laws-chess

Re: Sitzfleisch

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    GM Yasser Seirawan's article at 'St. Louis Public Radio' introduces a new German word to me, sitzfleisch (:
    Really? You should know the word if you've been reading about chess. I already knew it in the 1960's for gosh sakes.

Comment

Sitzfleisch

Google has something called an Ngram Viewer, which searches the contents of books from about the last two hundred years to find the occurrence of certain words.

Sitzfleisch started to be used in English around 1842 and reached peaks of usage in 1905 and 1970. I suppose there is a correlation with chess matches in those years.

I have used Ngram to find when the word “refrigerator” first came into the language (1820s to 1860s), reaching its zenith in 1947. Quite a useful tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        I have used Ngram to find when the word “refrigerator” first came into the language (1820s to 1860s), reaching its zenith in 1947. Quite a useful tool.
        Yep, a fridge is quite useful, indeed. With that, I'm off to get another beer. :p

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X