FIDE: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

New regulations for registration and licensing approved by PB4/2014 come to effect on 1st April. Please note that from 1st April, all new players registered must give an email address to be properly registered. That means all new (non-registered) players in tournaments that will be rated after March 31st have to have an email address. Failure to do so will mean that the tournament will not be rated.

Michalis Kaloumenos
    Chairman of FIDE Online Commission

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...f-players.html

Re: FIDE: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

I'm wondering whether FIDE, being based outside Canada, might be in any way obligated to follow the new Canadian anti-spamming regulations.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 5th March, 2015, 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      New regulations for registration and licensing approved by PB4/2014 come to effect on 1st April. Please note that from 1st April, all new players registered must give an email address to be properly registered. That means all new (non-registered) players in tournaments that will be rated after March 31st have to have an email address. Failure to do so will mean that the tournament will not be rated.

Michalis Kaloumenos
      Chairman of FIDE Online Commission

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...f-players.html
      Given that e-mail is now a main way of communicating, and is cheap, this seems a reasonable decision by FIDE. However, we must admit, we are not aware of the extent to which FIDE ever in fact does send e-mails to "all new players registered"? Bob Armstrong never got anything from FIDE to him personally, when he achieved making it to the official first of the month rating list, when he finally got his FIDE rating. Has anyone had occasion to ever receive a personal e-mail from FIDE as a "new player registered"? Of course, maybe they are intending to institute some protocol in this regard, once the system has the necessary e-mail group.

Canadian Life Consulting (CLC)

Comment

I recall receiving emails from at least one candidate for the last FIDE presidency election, even though I was no longer a CFC governor/(voting member).

It may be one thing for an organization to spam Canadians from outside of Canada, once they have found their email addresses by some means of searching for it, e.g. on a website. It may be another thing if people are obligated in any way to give their email addresses to such an organization, such as by a Canadian organization like the CFC.

Comment

They will not be obligated by the CFC. They will be obligated by the rules of FIDE which will mandate that the tournament will not be FIDE rated if the required email addresses are not provided.

Comment

If I wish to play in a typical Ottawa weekend event at the moment, I am obligated to play in the FIDE rated open section by the organizer. I suppose it's his choice whether to keep FIDE rating such events. On the other hand, if I wish to play in the Canadian Closed, I am obligated to play in a FIDE rated event. The CFC bidding process can require this event be FIDE rated, too. I suppose I could choose not to play, but then what if I'm Canada's best shot at doing well in the world championship cycle? That possibility is not desirable for the CFC to discourage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              If I wish to play in a typical Ottawa weekend event at the moment, I am obligated to play in the FIDE rated open section by the organizer. I suppose it's his choice whether to keep FIDE rating such events. On the other hand, if I wish to play in the Canadian Closed, I am obligated to play in a FIDE rated event. The CFC bidding process can require this event be FIDE rated, too. I suppose I could choose not to play, but then what if I'm Canada's best shot at doing well in the world championship cycle? That possibility is not desirable for the CFC to discourage.
              "must give an email address to be properly registered" (my emphasis).

Note that the word "valid" is not present. Nor is there any requirement that it be an address you check. I like a@b.com myself when filling out forms that demand email addresses.

Comment

The rule is for all new players and does not appear to apply to players who already have a FIDE id.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  "must give an email address to be properly registered" (my emphasis).

Note that the word "valid" is not present. Nor is there any requirement that it be an address you check. I like a@b.com myself when filling out forms that demand email addresses.
                  Could everyone just put office@fide.com, so they end up emailing any spam back to themselves?
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Given that e-mail is now a main way of communicating, and is cheap, this seems a reasonable decision by FIDE. However, we must admit, we are not aware of the extent to which FIDE ever in fact does send e-mails to "all new players registered"? Bob Armstrong never got anything from FIDE to him personally, when he achieved making it to the official first of the month rating list, when he finally got his FIDE rating. Has anyone had occasion to ever receive a personal e-mail from FIDE as a "new player registered"? Of course, maybe they are intending to institute some protocol in this regard, once the system has the necessary e-mail group.

Pete McKillop is wondering if Bob Armstrong always writes about himself in the third person? :)
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                      Pete McKillop is wondering if Bob Armstrong always writes about himself in the third person? :)
                      That reminds me of you know who. I kind of miss his posts.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think that it would be unlawful for CFC to provide FIDE with player's emails without their consent. Perhaps everyone's email can simply be listed as: info@chess.ca ?
                        That way, if FIDE wants to contact someone they would write CFC and then CFC would decide whether to contact that person.
                        When registering for An Arbiter title I had to provide my email, phone number and address. I was quite surprised to find out that much of it was then listed on the FIDE website. They since removed the address and I am quite happy with the very outdated information about me that they currently have listed:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                          I think that it would be unlawful for CFC to provide FIDE with player's emails without their consent. ....
                          Quite possibly (although there are exemptions) but I suspect the CFC is unconcerned about the legality or the wishes of their members in this. Last year, I became involved in a situation where a 3rd party (the USCF) was asking the CFC for personal information (birthdate) about a player who did not reside in either Canada or the US and the CFC seemed to be quite happy to oblige not withstanding privacy laws forbidding this. The CFC did not actually know the birthdate so my aid was sought and when I dug my heels in over the legality I was told (paraphrasing) that "I was an incompetent organizer and the reason why the CFC cannot find sponsors" ( I know, the last half is a non sequitur)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            It's the royal "we"! Personally, we find it rather pretentious.......
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              Quite possibly (although there are exemptions) but I suspect the CFC is unconcerned about the legality or the wishes of their members in this. Last year, I became involved in a situation where a 3rd party (the USCF) was asking the CFC for personal information (birthdate) about a player who did not reside in either Canada or the US and the CFC seemed to be quite happy to oblige not withstanding privacy laws forbidding this. The CFC did not actually know the birthdate so my aid was sought and when I dug my heels in over the legality I was told (paraphrasing) that "I was an incompetent organizer and the reason why the CFC cannot find sponsors" ( I know, the last half is a non sequitur)
                              I am not aware of this situation. Can anyone enlighten me about the circumstances?

I am pretty sure that you are a competent organizer and you are not the reason the CFC cannot find sponsors though to be fair we have had more sponsorship in the last year than we have had in some years.

If you don't want to provide a valid email address it is well within the rights of FIDE not to allow you to play though not rating the tournament seems a bit draconian. Birthdates would only be relevant in the case of something like NAYCC where there is some reasonable expectation that they will verify qualifications.
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 5th March, 2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X