Writing down opening names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing down opening names

At a few tournaments I've attempted to write down the opening names of the players in the open section (not any move or anything that can be mis-perceived as analysis) on a blank piece of paper.

I was reviewing the rules here: http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...4&view=article (not sure if these are current rules or not) and I can't see any reason why this would be not allowed (I remember a famous grandmaster of the past either Tartakower or Tarrasch did a similar thing at the beginning of each round).

The closest rule I could find was
    During play the players are forbidden to make use of any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyse on another chessboard

However I don't believe writing opening names should count as this due to the lack of impact it would have in my game and they aren't pre-made notes or anything like that.

So are my actions illegal under FIDE or CFC rules?
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Re: Writing down opening names

A variation on your query is whether it's even legal to write down on your scoresheet the name of the opening you think is being used in your own game, while it's in progress. Many scoresheets provide a space to write down such. Also, a player might punctuate an opponent's move with a question mark (happened once, I vaguely recall) - bad form, at the very least, I'd say.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Use current rules. http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category
      A few Canadian Opens ago my friend was stopped from writing the clock time on his score sheet by an arbiter (after opponent complained). This is no longer illegal. The rules use the word "relevant" which I would interpret as allowing opening name writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
        During play the players are forbidden to make use of any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyse on another chessboard
        IMHO
        Any notes means any notes LOL To avoid a control what you are writing it is better forbid writing at all thus any notes except a scoresheet.

Even writing your game opening on your scoresheet is not allowed in general. If the scoresheet has no line for that, then this information is irrelevant to the property holder ("The scoresheet shall be used only for recording the moves, the times of the clocks, offers of a draw, matters relating to a claim and other relevant data." and "8.3 The scoresheets are the property of the organiser of the competition.")

Comment

[QUOTE=Egidijus Zeromskis;92883]IMHO
          Any notes means any notes LOL To avoid a control what you are writing it is better forbid writing at all thus any notes except a scoresheet.

"12.3 During play the players are forbidden to make use of any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyse on another chessboard"

This rule forbids making USE of any notes, not making them. Therefore, making notes is not illegal.

Of course, since making notes is not expressly stated as being legal either, an arbiter could reasonably prohibit note taking under other sections (e.g. if it was deemed to be distracting or annoying to the opponent).

Comment

I seem to recall that at one point they were considering banning players from looking at other games which would really be difficult to enforce at a tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              IMHO

Even writing your game opening on your scoresheet is not allowed in general. If the scoresheet has no line for that, then this information is irrelevant to the property holder ("The scoresheet shall be used only for recording the moves, the times of the clocks, offers of a draw, matters relating to a claim and other relevant data." and "8.3 The scoresheets are the property of the organiser of the competition.")
              It is a completely different situation looking at past notes written for analysis purposes, and just writing down opening names.

Comment

Seeing what happened to So today I suggest you don't write down opening names Adam!

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
                  Seeing what happened to So today I suggest you don't write down opening names Adam!
                  Giving yourself personal advice of how to handle yourself in a game is a bit different from my situation, however I believe So should have been allowed to do that as it does not count as chess analysis in any way, but I guess FIDE rules are against me here too.

Comment

Working...
                  X