GMs Hansen and van Kampen lectures at ACC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMs Hansen and van Kampen lectures at ACC

Annex Chess Club is pleased to announce a lecture series by GM Eric Hansen, Canada's #2 ranked player, and GM Robin van Kampen, one of the top rising talents in Holland. These lectures will include chess analysis and stories of the “trials and tribulations” of playing chess professionally. Lectures are from 6:30 to 7:30 pm each Monday night. Topics are as follows:

April 13 – “Counterattack!” – Robin/Eric
    April 20 – “Trials and Tribulations from my Two Years as a Grandmaster” – Eric/Robin
    May 11 – “Calculate like a Grandmaster” – Eric/Robin

Fees for this series are listed below:

General Public: $20 per lecture (or $40 for the series)
    Participants in the Toronto Closed: $10 (or $20 for the series)
    ACC Members: $5 (or $10 for the series)

Additionally, non-members may apply their lecture fees towards ACC membership. For more information about our membership options, see: http://annexchessclub.com/membership/

This is a unique opportunity to hear from two rising chess professionals. A full announcement with bios of both of our guests is available on our website: http://annexchessclub.com/2015/03/ha...hess-lectures/

-
    Eric Hansen is a homegrown Canadian talent from Calgary, Alberta. He earned his GM title in 2012, while playing for Canada at the Olympiad in Istanbul. He is currently the second-highest rated player in the country at 2580 FIDE.

Something of a prodigy, Robin van Kampen won the Dutch Under-20 Championship at age 14, and earned his GM title in 2011 when he was just 16. Rated 2617 FIDE, he is currently the seventh highest rated player in the Netherlands.
    -

We're very excited about these events! Any questions can be directed to: info@annexchessclub.com

Tyler Longo

Re: GMs Hansen and van Kampen lectures at ACC

A lecture tour by GMs Eric Hansen and Robin van Kampen - what a great idea!

Comment

Reminder, the first lecture is this Monday!

Comment

Reminder, that the first lecture is this evening. Expecting a great turnout!

Comment

Photos

I took some photos at the ACC and posted them on my Google page

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10980287...75639835440521

Comment

Re: Photos

Robin gave the first lecture on Counterattack giving his games Kampen 1-0 Tse it lin Gilbrator 2014 and Kampen .5-.5 Rapport Bundesiga 2014. Interesting that his opponents played surprising moves that he didn't see and he said he isn't a computer when analysizing his way out.
            Next week is Eric's turn. He came to Toronto 10 years ago to play in the Canadian Closed as one of those low rated juniors whom I complained diluted the field.
            Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Tuesday, 14th April, 2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
              OB in gave the first lecture..........
              Please translate :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                I took some photos at the ACC and posted them on my Google page

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10980287...75639835440521
                Thanks for the great pictures, John!

Comment

The second lecture in this series is tonight. Hope to see some new faces!

Comment

I brought cookies from the Viking Bakery.

Eric enjoys travelling and met Robin in Greece. Eric was stuck in a variation of the Ruy Lopez unknown to him (nobody plays it in Calgary). Robin, on the next board, frowned as he had spent over 20 hours on it. Robin was shocked when Eric didn't lose. In North American Swiss players fight to win on tactics or time. The two players learn from each other. Robin invited Eric to be his roommate at the next tournament which Eric won, his first GM norm. Robin has over 500 chess books and Eric is catching up on his reading and theory. Robin will be with Eric in Uruguay.

Comment

The final lecture in this series is tonight, May 11th. Hope to see everyone there!

Comment

Working...
                      X