X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proposal for Rule Change (CYCC)

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Chris:

To your knowledge, has anyone ever actually brought a formal motion to authorize youth to attend the WYCC, who do not participate in the CYCC?

Bob
    The highest rated in any category can attend WYCC without CYCC participation.
    ________
    Side Effects Of Zoloft
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

You don't need a formal motion to discuss things, and this has been discussed before, yes.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris:

No doubt you are right. And discussions can give some indication of what might happen if a formal motion was brought.

But my point was if there was a formal motion in the past, what happened to it? I have to assume it was defeated since this option is not now available.

But if there has never been a motion, then maybe Eric's proposed motion is not clearly doomed, since it has never formally been defeated before.

So, again, has there ever to your knowledge been a formal motion on this point that came to a vote?

Bob

Comment

I like Rene's idea for raising some funds, it should be included if something like this were to pass. I also think it should be mandatory that every year at least 1 coach accompanies the team. Some money should be set aside for that. After all, Canada doesn't play in any other international events other than the Olympiad. I notice that on the front page of the CFC, there is still a "donate to the Olympiad team " item, while there is no mention of donating to the youth program. Maybe that could be fixed. And for qualification, you could have something like top 5 qualify by rating, and then the top three at CYCC. This would keep most of the attendance. The ones that feel they are underrated will still have a chance, and some others will go to try to qualify if some of the heavy favourites decide to forgo the event as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
            ..... After all, Canada doesn't play in any other international events other than the Olympiad. ....

you appear to have forgotten the World Championship Cycle and it's qualifiers, probably the World Junior as well.

Comment

I haven't forgotten either of those. Its a couple days from May, and there has been no mention of the Canadian Closed in this World Cup year. Canada is very lucky to have it's own zonal, yet we still don't take advantage of this situation. And as for the World Junior, Canada is not a consistent participating member and the prestige of the Canadian Junior has dropped dramatically.

Comment

The hotel was pretty cool. Not like it was party central or anything, but good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ling Feng Ye View Post
                  Seeing how Mr Daswani was so quick to jump on my rather mundane two-line opinion with nothing short of an essay, I felt compelled to offer some clarifications.
                  Woah, I made a long post which you acerbically referred to as an essay! I'd better grab some aloe vera now that you've wounded me with your SCATHING WIT.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.
                  That's YOUR fault.
                  No it's not. That's my opinion on the matter. If you don't agree with it then you can simply say so instead of posting shallow remarks. This just makes you obnoxious.
                  First, that's not your "opinion". How could I disagree with the fact that you don't understand something?

I realised that you didn't "see why [Hansen's idea] wouldn't work." How could you? Had you examined the financial repercussions? Had you sifted through past GLs? Of course not. You hadn't even waited for more than two replies to be posted.

You couldn't see why Hansen's idea wouldn't work? All you had to do was walk away from the computer AND COME BACK TO CHESSTALK AN HOUR LATER. THIS IS WHY IT WAS YOUR FAULT.

IMO the wycc is an interesting experience
                  Okay, at least one person believes that competing internationally is "interesting". Does anyone agree with him? Does anyone, perhaps, consider it "painfully boring"? I volunteer to keep a tally of people's views on this VERY PERTINENT (NOPE) matter.
                  Here's one person: the original poster.

WYCC is one of the best opportunities for improvement and international experience that a youth player can have, and Canada should take advantage of this great chance for youth development.
                  This was rather obvious if you had actually taken the time to read the original post. I also rest my case: I don't know how the tournament conditions in BC are like, but generally international competitions are in fact more interesting than local tournaments. I'm quite certain that most people would agree with me on this one.
                  Can you think? Of course international competitions are "interesting"; THAT'S MY POINT. Why say that they're interesting? What are you trying to demonstrate? And that's such a poor a choice of words. Cribbage with your grandfather is interesting; representing your nation is, to quote Hansen, "one of the best opportunities for improvement and international experience that a youth player can have."

Why did you inform us all (thanks, chief) that the WYCC is interesting? Do you think people didn't realise this? Were you of the belief that the CFC executive, high above in the ivory towers, had no idea that children were having fun at the WYCC?

Most importantly, it's irrelevant that the WYCC is enjoyable. The Stanley Cup Finals are probably enjoyable; should we qualify more teams?

and as long as the players are willing to pay they should be given the chance.
                  So, you're saying the WYCC should be an open event? WHERE YOU GONNA DRAW THE LINE, CHIEF?
                  No, I'm not saying that the WYCC should be an open event. Keep in mind that I was writing a reply acknowledging Eric's proposal. I was merely following up on his idea that the tournament should be open to players having met certain rating requirements. I apologize for omitting this fact, but then again I intended it to be a short reply, not a thesis. There is absolutely no need to shout at me uncontrollably here.
                  Shouting at you? Caps lock doesn't denote shouting; it denotes scorn. I use exclamation points to shout.

Your apology is accepted. You should have included said fact. Certain people do believe that the WYCC should be open. You know, like, FIDE, whoever they are.

It wouldn't affect the cycc in anyway as the participants are still playing for first place and a free trip.
                  Diminishing its value wouldn't affect it in any way? Man, let me go over this one for you. Currently, Canadians need to play in the CYCC to qualify for the WYCC. You advocate allowing some Canadians to qualify directly to the WYCC, you know, BYPASSING THE CYCC. That has an impact on the CYCC. You might even say... it affects it. Actually, you wouldn't, but you're the contemptible sort.

You could argue that the proposed change will have a small effect on the CYCC. You could also argue that it will have a positive effect on the CYCC. (You'd be wrong in both instances, but you've clearly demonstrated that you're comfortable in such territory.) But, you claim that it would have no effect on the CYCC? NO EFFECT? NONE?

When I read posts like yours, I get so mad. I will not be able to sleep tonight and you are to blame.
                  Fine. I get what you mean. There certainly will be players who simply decide to not play in the CYCC. But isn't that the whole point of the proposal? The point of the CYCC is first and foremost to determine the Canadian Champion, as well as having the role of determining who gets the free trip valued at 2000-3000$. Why wouldn't a reasonable Canadian youth still play for such stakes? Again, as argued above, not everyone will be able to bypass this; this only applies to certain players whose qualifications were to be discussed in this post. Before you came in and started verbally assaulting everyone.
                  Okay, but that's not what you said. You said it would have no effect. This is the comment that enraged me.

Speaking of the numerous personal attacks, I will dismiss them as the annoying complaints of a child with a bit too much time. If you couldn't sleep last night because of a simple 30-second reply, then maybe you should consider some anger management programs.
                  Smooth attempt, boss. Too bad I'm an adult and you are a child. As a responsible adult, I feel I should tell you to WATCH YOUR MOUTH. I don't need some baby-faced youngster sassing me.

Nitpicking on every sentence other people posts doesn't make you smarter. It just makes you look like a complete asshole.
                  If I was nitpicking "on" (huh?) every sentence, I'd have pointed out that you were unable to distinguish between "anyway" and "any way". You're from Quebec, so I'll assume you speak French fluently. Anyway (see how it's used there?), I don't mind being a completely literate complete asshole. It's better than the alternative. ;) ;) ;)

I will leave to the other posters to defend themselves, despite remarking the continuously occurring logical fallacies in Mr Daswani's following arguments.
                  That is not close to a sentence. Am I going to elaborate? No. It's 4:08. I think iCarly is on soon.
                  everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Ben, I feel you. I too, am still recovering from the trauma that the last New Jersey Devil's game caused me.
                    Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 30th April, 2009, 09:43 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      Please tell me more Andrei.

We have also organized Futurities which have FIDE time controls and the Superfest was 90 minutes per player.

I mean really, sounds like a CFC line you are throwing in the water :). Keep fishing :)
                      Sure Larry, if you are interested in telling us more about the CMA Nationals.

Please respond to my 2 questions:

1.Do you find 30 minutes games good to decide the Canadian grade champion in older grades (many of the players with a rating +1800)?

2. Do you think is healthy for 6-9 years old to play in a tournament with 9 rounds in 36-40 hours?

Based on the CCC format for so many years my guess is that your answer is NO to both questions.

Andrei
                      ________
                      Jalpa
                      Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Agreed, Andre. The Canadian Chess Challenge does not encourage participants to return yearly. For me, I just play each year to meet up with friends. I have decided that it has been a waste of my time, and so I won't be playing this year.
                        i rep back 3+

Comment

Personally, I have some issues with chess-math. The nationals is a fun tournament and all, but theres a couple things that make me reconsider going. In the summer of 07 I got my national master title, and thinking that I should be entitled to $1,000 for achieving that, I contacted them. They said because of the rating boon that they stopped the bursary program(their website contradicts this statement), so I would not be receiving anything. Then shortly after they announced that a player from Ontario would be awarded $1,000 for the NM title. Hmmm? So, we asked and they replied " he is a special case because he has been playing with chess-n math for a long time". Even though I had been playing chess n math for a long time as well, we decided that our appeals were useless. They assured me that they'd try to make it up to me by inviting me to a futurity. Well, nothing happened and there was no communication. I also recall being lied to on a seperate occasion by being told by them that if I were to go to Nationals (chess'n math) and be one of the top fide rated players, I would be invited to a futurity. Just a bunch of bad experiences..

Comment

I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible.

Woah, I made a long post which you acerbically referred to as an essay! I'd better grab some aloe vera now that you've wounded me with your SCATHING WIT.
                            Okay, that essay thing was a metaphor. Get over it.

First, that's not your "opinion". How could I disagree with the fact that you don't understand something?

I realised that you didn't "see why [Hansen's idea] wouldn't work." How could you? Had you examined the financial repercussions? Had you sifted through past GLs? Of course not. You hadn't even waited for more than two replies to be posted.

You couldn't see why Hansen's idea wouldn't work? All you had to do was walk away from the computer AND COME BACK TO CHESSTALK AN HOUR LATER. THIS IS WHY IT WAS YOUR FAULT.
                            Hey, calm down here buddy. It's one harmless, idealistic point of view. And as far as I know, you don't necessarily need to be an expert in a field to say what's on your mind. I might think that an exploratory shuttle to another galaxy would be a good idea without knowing anything about astrophysics. I would clearly be dead wrong in that case, but that's not the point: I don't mind someone pointing out that my perspective is not right, as long as they don't blatantly attack me while doing it.

I was not going to do a research on the subject. It was a simple two lines acknowledging one simple proposal. There is no need to overanalyse that. Whether I'm right or wrong is irrelevant here; I simply could not accept your objections in the way they were presented.

Can you think? Of course international competitions are "interesting"; THAT'S MY POINT. Why say that they're interesting? What are you trying to demonstrate? And that's such a poor a choice of words. Cribbage with your grandfather is interesting; representing your nation is, to quote Hansen, "one of the best opportunities for improvement and international experience that a youth player can have."

Why did you inform us all (thanks, chief) that the WYCC is interesting? Do you think people didn't realise this? Were you of the belief that the CFC executive, high above in the ivory towers, had no idea that children were having fun at the WYCC?
                            Yes. I do realize that is your point (presented in conveniently sarcastic form). I merely intended to share one piece of experience having played first-hand in these events. Is that so unacceptable in your book?

Please, for the sake of all of us, work on your tolerance levels.

Shouting at you? Caps lock doesn't denote shouting; it denotes scorn. I use exclamation points to shout.
                            It doesn't matter whether caps indicate a stronger voice tone or stronger emotions. Either way I consider it to be an overreaction.

Smooth attempt, boss. Too bad I'm an adult and you are a child. As a responsible adult, I feel I should tell you to WATCH YOUR MOUTH. I don't need some baby-faced youngster sassing me.
                            Believe me, I do respect the impressive three more years of experience you have over me. That doesn't mean that my words are any less significant than yours. Attempting to belittle me with a phrase as desperate and ridiculous as "WATCH YOUR MOUTH, child", simply based on our age difference, doesn't strike me as particularly remarkable.

If I was nitpicking "on" (huh?) every sentence, I'd have pointed out that you were unable to distinguish between "anyway" and "any way". You're from Quebec, so I'll assume you speak French fluently. Anyway (see how it's used there?), I don't mind being a completely literate complete asshole. It's better than the alternative.
                            Yes, for your information, English is in fact my third language. I don't see of any reason why a spelling error would be of any importance in this discussion. If such details amuse you so much, I would be more than pleased to send you my next essay for proofreading.

Comment

Personally, I have some issues with chess-math. The nationals is a fun tournament and all, but theres a couple things that make me reconsider going. In the summer of 07 I got my national master title, and thinking that I should be entitled to $1,000 for achieving that, I contacted them. They said because of the rating boon that they stopped the bursary program(their website contradicts this statement), so I would not be receiving anything. Then shortly after they announced that a player from Ontario would be awarded $1,000 for the NM title. Hmmm? So, we asked and they replied " he is a special case because he has been playing with chess-n math for a long time". Even though I had been playing chess n math for a long time as well, we decided that our appeals were useless. They assured me that they'd try to make it up to me by inviting me to a futurity. Well, nothing happened and there was no communication. I also recall being lied to on a seperate occasion by being told by them that if I were to go to Nationals (chess'n math) and be one of the top fide rated players, I would be invited to a futurity. Just a bunch of bad experiences..
                              Hi Eric,

I understand your frustration. Our bursary program was discontinued before you earned the title. We have not held a Futurity for a number of years unfortunately. We also have someone who donated $1,000 towards our next Futurity and we have not used this money yet. We still intend to invite you to our next Futurity but I can easily understand your sceptiscm. Actions always speak louder than words and the ball is definitely in our court on this. The time to promise things is long gone on this and now it is up to us to act!

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                                Sure Larry, if you are interested in telling us more about the CMA Nationals.

Please respond to my 2 questions:

1.Do you find 30 minutes games good to decide the Canadian grade champion in older grades (many of the players with a rating +1800)?

2. Do you think is healthy for 6-9 years old to play in a tournament with 9 rounds in 36-40 hours?

Based on the CCC format for so many years my guess is that your answer is NO to both questions.

Andrei
                                Hi Andrei,

I think there is room on the chess landscape for tournaments at different time controls. I have seen Canadian Speed Chess Championships at 5 minutes per player. I have seen and in fact was an arbitre at a World Active Championship (30 minutes per player). The event included players like Karpov, who as you know is also rated a little over 1800 :)

I am going to answer your second question with a question: Do you think it is healthy to have 6-9 year olds wait around for hours between games? In other words, the round starts at 9 a.m., they finish their game in 15 minutes, and they they wait around for over 5 hours before playing another game in less than a half hour?

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X