• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Chess Tour 2015

Grand Chess Tour 2015

April 24, 2015

From the Official Site:

http://www.uschesschamps.com/news/in...ed-saint-louis

SAINT LOUIS (April 24, 2015) – There is a new, gold standard for international chess competition, providing more opportunities for the world’s best chess players to compete on a grand stage.

The world’s most prestigious, international chess events are combining efforts to establish a gold standard for the inaugural Grand Chess Tour, an annual competitive circuit for ten of the world’s top grandmasters. The announcement was made today at a press conference held at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis.

The Grand Chess Tour is an affiliation between the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis (Sinquefield Cup), Tower AS (Norway Chess) and Chess Promotions Ltd. (London Chess Classic), combining the organizational efforts of three elite events into one unified competitive structure. The partnership aims to raise worldwide awareness for each prestigious tournament, as well as for the tour.

The inaugural 2015 Tour will kick off in June as a three-event cycle, beginning with Norway Chess 2015, followed by the Sinquefield Cup in August/September, and finishing with the London Chess Classic in December.

Norway Chess 2015 Stavanger, Norway June 15 - 26, 2015

Sinquefield Cup Saint Louis, USA August 21 - September 3, 2015

London Chess Classic London, England December 3 - 14, 2015

Based on FIDE's January 2015 rating list, the Grand Chess Tour invited the world’s top-ten international grandmasters, eight of whom agreed to appear in all three international events. A ninth grandmaster, who will also play the entire tour, will be added at a later date. The tenth and final grandmaster will be selected as a wildcard by each organizing host.
    Each of the three 2015 Grand Chess Tour events will award individual prize funds of $300,000, with competitors also tallying points toward a tour prize fund of $150,000; the overall tour champion will receive an additional $75,000. The total prize fund for the circuit is $1,050,000.

The participating players are:

World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen, Norway

Fabiano Caruana, Italy

Alexander Grischuk, Russia

Veselin Topalov, Bulgaria

Viswanathan Anand, India

Levon Aronian, Armenia

Anish Giri, Netherlands

Hikaru Nakamura, USA

“The Grand Chess Tour was created with just one goal in mind: Demonstrating the highest level of organization for the world’s best players, ” said Tony Rich, Executive Director of the CCSCSL. “Featuring the world’s strongest chess professionals fighting for massive prize funds, along with a full spectator experience led by world-class commentary, this circuit sets forth an internationally coordinated effort that casts a shining spotlight on global chess competition. ”

“It’s an honor to be among the giants of chess organizers, ” said Joran Aulin-Jansson with Tower AS (Norway Chess)
    “Having the world’s best chess players in one circuit is a great way to fuel excitement for the future of chess. ”

“The London Chess Classic is delighted to be part of this new venture which we feel sure will greatly add to the public interest in top flight chess, ” said Malcom Pein, Director London Chess Classic. “We look forward to the Grand Chess Tour climaxing in London and to further tournaments joining the GCT in coming years. ”

Participating tournaments are identified as the gold standard for international event organization, setting the model for player conditions, prize funds and spectator experience. Each of the events will cater to live audiences, as well as offer streaming broadcasts complete with grandmaster commentary.

For more information, visit www.grandchesstour.com

It is said that Vladimir Kramnik was invited but declined. Betting on the ninth grandmaster is between Wesley So and Maxime Vachier-Lagrave.

Re: Grand Chess Tour 2015

Grand Chess Tour 2015

From chess-news.ru

Vladimir Kramnik Explains Why He Declined the Grand Chess Tour

Saturday, 25.04.2015

Vladimir Kramnik has explained why his name is missing from the participants for the recently-announced Grand Chess Tour. The ex-champion said it is due to the tournament commitments he already has for this year.

"There are events for which I have already signed up. In addition, there is a very important World Cup, which will be my last chance to reach the Candidates. If I were to sign up for three more events, then I would not see my family at all and I am already at the age where that matters to me. I would have been happy to play in the Grand Chess Tour, but ideally, I would have liked to choose just two of the three events. But the rules are that I would have to play all three and that, unfortunately, I cannot do."

As well as the eight players named last night, Maxim Vachier-Lagrave today confirmed that he has accepted an invitation to be the ninth.

Comment

Important news for the chess world. Why? Well funded tournaments by great organizers evolving into a chess tour. Shouldnt be anymore messups.

Comment

More details from 'St. Louis Public Radio'.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/...rnational-tour

Comment

I only have one criticism of the article. My chess heroes dont plod. (whose do?) My chess heroes have sharp minds, sacrifice pieces with deft hand movements, and play wild, fighting games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            I only have one criticism of the article. My chess heroes dont plod. (whose do?) My chess heroes have sharp minds, sacrifice pieces with deft hand movements, and play wild, fighting games.
            My guess is that's a typo, Hans. 'Plotting' makes far more sense (:

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
              Grand Chess Tour 2015

From chess-news.ru

Vladimir Kramnik Explains Why He Declined the Grand Chess Tour

Saturday, 25.04.2015

Vladimir Kramnik has explained why his name is missing from the participants for the recently-announced Grand Chess Tour. The ex-champion said it is due to the tournament commitments he already has for this year.

"There are events for which I have already signed up. In addition, there is a very important World Cup, which will be my last chance to reach the Candidates. If I were to sign up for three more events, then I would not see my family at all and I am already at the age where that matters to me. I would have been happy to play in the Grand Chess Tour, but ideally, I would have liked to choose just two of the three events. But the rules are that I would have to play all three and that, unfortunately, I cannot do."

As well as the eight players named last night, Maxim Vachier-Lagrave today confirmed that he has accepted an invitation to be the ninth.
              Wesley So declined as he has committed to play in tournaments before this was announced but he will play the wild card at the St. Louis leg

Comment

I am glad Wesley So was asked. Good news that he is playing the wildcard in St. Louis.

Comment

Thanks Jack! I guessed someone would eventually post a correction. I was having fun with it. By the way I think it was a dumbed down version of spell check that did that and someone else typing at high speed.

Comment

Grand Chess Tour 2015

The time control in the Grand Chess Tour is 40 moves in 2 hours, followed by the rest of the game in 1 hour with a 30-second increment from move 41

http://www.grandchesstour.com/content/rules-regulations

It is not clear to me if this makes for more exciting chess, with scrambles at the controls, than the recently published official FIDE Event controls for the Grand Prix:

40 moves in 100 minutes, followed by 50 minutes for the next twenty and fifteen minutes for the rest of the game with 30-second increments, starting from move 1.

Comment

Its more civilized for chess players but needs more arbiter alertness.

Comment

Grand Chess Tour 2015

Dates Announced for Three Tournaments in the Grand Chess Tour 2016. Stavanger Planned for April

September 3, 2015

At the final press conference in St Louis, the organisers announced their plans for the Grand Chess Tour next year. It is known that the 2016 event will consist of the same three tournaments. The following dates have been earmarked in the calendar:

Stavanger: 16 - 29 April

St Louis: 19 August - 2 September

London: 30 November - 13 December

from chess-news.ru

_______

And an interesting note from chess.com: Should St. Louis keep similar dates in 2017, the players will be almost directly in the path of the first total solar eclipse in the contiguous U. S. since Karpov was world champion!
                        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 5th September, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

The Grand Chess Tour 2015/6

Axe Soup

December 14, 2015

Andrey Deviatkin, Grandmaster

If one asks my sincere opinion, without any diplomatic equivoques, about both GP series, I'd say that it makes me sick.

In Russian, there's a saying "axe soup" that arises from someone allegedly having promised to make a good soup out of a simple axe, which the person did by putting an axe to boiling water, and then adding there all the ingredients necessary for a good soup. Both FIDE Grand Prix and the Grand Chess Tour (especially the second one) are luxuriously organized events, but in both the chess part is the very same axe. With its high level of organization and all the fuss created, I don't think they would be less interesting if the central activity were a block championship in yard-cleaning or washing the dishes.

A Grand Prix series consisting of mixed Swiss events like Qatar Open, Aeroflot Open, Gibraltar, etc., and the final round-robin, would probably make sense - but not the current format. Almost everyone, including those players, has been pretending (maybe because when one gets paid well one feels obliged to pretend?) that something great is going on, even if the Berlin is used in 30% of the games and novelties happen at move 36. But even without the Berlin, watching the same 10-15 players facing each other again and again is unbearable.

The other point is that while the elite cult is on, the majority of ordinary GMs around 2600 (like me when I was an active chess player) get no real chance in their life to face the top 10 in classical chess even once. This is utterly unfair and not in the spirit of sports at all, isn't it? Meanwhile, it's not that the very top are uncapable of losing to middle-class GMs: remember just the recent European team championship in Reykjavik, where Carlsen lost to Pelletier and couldn't beat other supposedly mediocre GMs; Giri "the Unbeatable" was demolished by Babula, Adams (9 draws in London) lost to Solak. Again, this kind of unexpected rivalry makes mixed events much more attractive in the eyes of spectators, including yours truly.

So, I'm for more and more open tournaments with both top and middle-class players present, probably Swiss ones. At the same time, the number of closed elite events should be reduced to the minimum. In my opinion, the chess world needs Wijk aan Zee, at least because it's a huge tradition; we need maybe another one or two, but no more than that. In no way the closed elite tournaments help promote chess, whatever their organization; on the contrary, they intensify the wide public's impression of chess as a very boring activity for the few. In fact, such events are likely to be pushing the already endangered game further towards the brink of extinction.

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/20627

Comment

The Grand Chess Tour

January 6, 2016

Norway Chess quits the Grand Chess Tour

Norway Chess has left the Grand Chess Tour, with Tournament Director Joran Aulin-Jansson telling chess24 the series isn't sustainable until it focuses more on commercial success. The Norway Chess supertournament will go ahead in 2016, with World Champion Magnus Carlsen already a confirmed participant. The Grand Chess Tour is currently reduced to only the Sinquefield Cup and the London Chess Classic but also plans to continue, with VG.no mentioning it may add a rapid tournament in France in early summer.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/nor...and-chess-tour

There was once talk of the GCT adding Indonesia as one of the venues:

From the very start Jakarta has been mentioned as a potential location for a new tournament that would be included in the Tour. Because of personal reasons, the organizer of that event had to put his plans on hold.

http://schaken.chess.com/news/norway...hess-tour-7776

Comment

Working...
                            X