Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs Pacquiao

The biggest match in many years is coming up Saturday night.
    Floyd Mayweather
    42.11%
    Manny Pacquiao
    31.58%
    Draw
    0.00%
    I don't care
    21.05%
    Are they chess players???
    5.26%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 30th April, 2015, 06:31 PM.

Re: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Yes- there is a chess connection. A couple of friends who have played with Manny say he is around 1600 level legitimately. He loves the game.

Last edited by Eric Hansen; Thursday, 30th April, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      The biggest match in many years is coming up Saturday night.
      Who do you like to win? Wouldn't surprise me if Pacquiao wins this.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I like Mayweather this weekend. He is simply the greatest of all time but manny is a worthy challenger. It should be very entertaining !

Comment

Mayweather.

He was the Colbert Report's chess correspondent:

Mayweather: For kids in a tough neighbourhood, chess the the only way out...
          Colbert: Floyd, how did you stay straight?
          Mayweather: Well, I was lucky. My father put a bishop in my hand when I was three . By the time I was six, I could checkmate a man twice my size.

[CT won't let me upload the screencap: undefined error]

http://en.chessbase.com/post/colbert...alk-che-270913

Comment

Mayweather. Easy fight. He will outsmart his opponent and make the necessary adjustments.

Comment

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...uiao_will.html

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                Mayweather. Easy fight. He will outsmart his opponent and make the necessary adjustments.
                Mayweather: Easy Boxing. Hit and Run strategy works perfectly for a Boxer like Money Mayweather!

Pacquiao: Hard Fight (Pound for Pound Boxing - Show Me What You Got!). Attack, Attack, Attack. Knockout strategy works perfectly for a Fighter like Manny Pacquiao!

Prediction: Draw!!!

A Rematch??? It will be on September!!! Why settle for ONCE when you can get as much TWICE!?

MANY (Manny Pacquiao) MONEY (Money Mayweather) ISN'T IT? Those two words perfectly rhyme too.

Comment

Although I am pretty interested in the result, I'm planning not to watch. Mayweather is such an odious human being that I will not support his ventures with money. Hoping Pacquiao destroys him, but expecting Mayweather to win.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    Although I am pretty interested in the result, I'm planning not to watch. Mayweather is such an odious human being that I will not support his ventures with money. Hoping Pacquiao destroys him, but expecting Mayweather to win.
                    100% this. There's no way I can be a part of putting money into Mayweather's pockets. He should be in prison. Would love to see Pacquiao win, but doubt it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Who do you like to win? Wouldn't surprise me if Pacquiao wins this.
                      I want Pacquiao to win but at this point in their careers I clearly favor Mayweather.

Comment

the betting odds have narrowed down still in favor of Mayweather. Skiils are not that far apart and the mental aspect can narrow the gap ... in this case Pacman has a real chance because the thought of avoiding a loss could stress Mayweather mentally. This could be Pacman's streak - destroying lossless players three in a row - Bradley, Algeiri, Mayweather. Incidentally cherry picker Mayweather wanted no part of Bradley becuase the man is fast and iron chinned and fought slow footed Maidana instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                          I want Pacquiao to win but at this point in their careers I clearly favor Mayweather.
                          I used to keep track of the heavyweights. When I was a kid my dad let me stay up and listen to the fights with him on the radio. Lewis, Charles, Walcott, Marciano. It was a big deal back then. By the time Patterson came along chess was more important for me. I still remember the general angst (is that the right word?) when Patterson lost to the Hammer of Thor. In the third round Patterson went down and up more times than a toilet seat. I think it was 7 times before they called it a TKO.

The rematch had a big gate for the times, as I recall.

If it's an exciting close fight tonight I wonder how much a rematch would bring in.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Marciano-Walcott

In the early days of television, our family and relatives would come together for a whole evening in front of our small-screen, black-and-white television.

It was May 15, 1953 – a Friday. The Friday night fights were boxing matches, usually sponsored by Gillette.

Jersey Joe Walcott had lost his heavyweight title eight months before to Rocky Marciano. Rocky was 29 years old, Jersey Joe 39. Rocky had won all 43 of his fights, 38 by knockout. This was the rematch and Rocky’s first defense of the Heavyweight crown.

Walcott was careful in the first two minutes, keeping away from Rocky. My mother went out to the kitchen to get a cold beer for my Uncle John.

Marciano threw a roundhouse left hook that dazed Walcott, then followed with a withering right uppercut before Jersey Joe knew what had hit him. He went down and was sitting on the seat of his pants waiting to get up at the count of seven. The noise was terrific, he never heard it. Walcott was counted out. The ring announcer hoisted Marciano’s hand in the air at 2:25 of the first round!

Later Marciano said, “I was surprised he didn’t get up!”

My mother came in to the living room with my Uncle’s cold beer and asked, “What happened?”

“The fight’s over, Mom. You missed it.”
                            Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 2nd May, 2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Really bummed out about the fight. I was hoping Manny would be able to press more than he did, but Mayweather's defense was too good. I don't think there will be a re-match.

Comment

Working...
                              X