Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ding Liren Trains with Carlsen

Ding Liren Trains with Carlsen

This is not the most shattering chess news. It is interesting and gives me my first chance at using the on-line translators on Chinese!

Try it yourself. The link is:

http://www.wzrb.com.cn/article611230show.html

Carlsen and Ding Liren trained together for a week. From April 7 to 13, Ding Liren was invited to Doha, Qatar, for joint training with his coaches and assistants. He returned yesterday (April 14) to Beijing and gave an exclusive telephone interview to Wenzhou Evening News reporters on the secret training methods of the world champion.

Carlsen has his own dedicated coaches and assistants. Not long ago he emailed Ding Liren to join him to train for a week at a five-star hotel. Having a visa, he travelled alone to Doha, Qatar where Carlsen was training for the Azerbaijan tournament.

Ding Liren told reporters that Carlsen is very rich and not only reimbursed him for his round-trip ticket but also paid for five-star hotels with a free shuttle service for his coaches and assistants, each of which has his own room.

According to Ding Liren, he communicated in English. Each morning they ate breakfast at 10 a.m., in the training room. Carlsen would look at the NBA Live in the morning on his computer. Ding Liren found that Magnus had no telephone.

From 11 until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, Carlsen liked to play basketball, football and two on two. Because of the hot weather, Carlsen liked to go swimming in the sea. After that, they ate and then at 5 or 6 in the afternoon played blitz. They split the games. Carlsen’s reactions are super-fast.

Carlsen is quite funny and his assistant rolled on the ground with laughter at his slapstick.

Ding Liren found the week’s training to be very productive. He learned from Carlsen how to grasp the rhythm and play at a high level from the opening.

After returning to China, Ding Liren applied for a visa to travel to Russia for the Russian League. After Russia, he has to return to his Beijing University Law School class and then with Chinese competitions, he might just get a chance to visit his parents back in Wenzhou for a few days in June.

_________

A Note on Ding Liren: He was born in October, 1992 in Wenzhou, China. It used to be called “Chess City” back then. He learned to play chess at 4 years of age.

While attending school, he played chess in adult events. He was good in mathematics but after graduating from high school, he entered Beijing University, choosing law as his major. His favorite sport is basketball. He trains at chess for three to four hours per day.

Re: Ding Liren Trains with Carlsen

Very interesting. Did you notice Magnus paid all his expenses. Who else would have done that?? I am impressed. I like Magnus training methods. Have a first hand look at potential opposition. I also wonder how many rating points Ding Liren will gain as a result of the collaboration.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Very interesting. Did you notice Magnus paid all his expenses. Who else would have done that?? I am impressed. I like Magnus training methods. Have a first hand look at potential opposition. I also wonder how many rating points Ding Liren will gain as a result of the collaboration.
      Yeah, Magnus has a good management team behind him. But it is pretty standard to pay for all the expenses+salary of your training partners/seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        It seems Ding Liren is a pretty strong player already - no doubt he too will benefit from the collaboration.
        I am sure Magnus appreciates having a sparing partner that can give him a run for his money (up to a point at least).
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Magnus did the same for Wesley So back in 2011 according to a recent chessbase article.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
            Magnus did the same for Wesley So back in 2011 according to a recent chessbase article.
            and look what it did for Wesley! Eric, whens your turn coming?

Comment

Working...
            X