Alberta electoral results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta electoral results

There is an NDP majority government in Alberta.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Alberta electoral results

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

There is an NDP majority government in Alberta.
    Yes, Nigel. A new chapter in Alberta's history. Let's call it Chapter 11.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Yes, Gary. Chapter 11.

That's when the responsible people come in to clean up the mess left by the previous administration. :)

Maybe the environment has a fighting chance now!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Maybe the environment has a fighting chance now!
        Yes, Bob. Like here in Ontario where large emitters are moving to Mexico and the U.S.
        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 7th May, 2015, 10:30 AM.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

a Canadian first with the resignation of a seat before the vote count was completed.

In what was probably a first in Canadian history, PC leader Jim Prentice resigned the leadership of his decimated party and also resigned his seat in the Alberta Legislature even before the vote count was finished.

Truly, as one commentator put it, it was like shoveling fresh clumps of dirt onto the descending coffin of the PC party in Alberta. I can't help but think that this contempt for the voters, in imposing a completely unnecessary expense onto the people of Alberta as a parting, spiteful shot, will be reciprocated by the voters once the by-election takes place.

The PCs might consider running a farm animal in that riding by-election. After all, pigs are flying in Alberta. Oink, oink.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 7th May, 2015, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Yeah, Adolph feels much the same way ...

Hitler reacts to Alberta NDP Majority election - parody video
            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 7th May, 2015, 12:30 AM. Reason: link

Comment

Yeah, Adolph feels much the same way ...

Hitler reacts to Alberta NDP Majority election - parody video
              LMAO - I had forgotten about that clip (and it obviously refreshes with new subtitles...)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I have to tell you, Kerry, there will have to be some clarity from Alberta on taxation and royalties before I put money into that province. Particularly the oil and gas companies. The taxation doesn't bother me now because a company has to make money to pay taxes. Royalties work different so it will keep me away until clarification.

I don't mind taking a risk. I was buying Air Canada stock at around $1.00 and less when few would touch it.

Until there is some clarification which I can see will differentiate Alberta from the way Venezeula has treated business, it's not for me. Although, I did have stock in one company which did business in Venezeula some years ago. It was called Boots and Coots. No kidding. If you ever saw "Hellfighters" with John Wayne you know what they did. They fought well blowouts. I think they more or less got paid in some form of local money and U.S. money. That was kind of a fun company for me. I worked in the industry and admired the work that company did.

Eventually the company was bought out by a large company but I'd sold my small stake by then.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  LMAO - I had forgotten about that clip (and it obviously refreshes with new subtitles...)

One improvement could have been: when one woman consoles another and says "Don't worry, we can move to Saskatchewan" it could have had the crying woman responding: "But there's no CFC chess in Saskatchewan!" :D
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: a Canadian first with the resignation of a seat before the vote count was complet

In what was probably a first in Canadian history, PC leader Jim Prentice resigned the leadership of his decimated party and also resigned his seat in the Alberta Legislature even before the vote count was finished.

Truly, as one commentator put it, it was like shoveling fresh clumps of dirt onto the descending coffin of the PC party in Alberta. I can't help but think that this contempt for the voters, in imposing a completely unnecessary expense onto the people of Alberta as a parting, spiteful shot, will be reciprocated by the voters once the by-election takes place.

The PCs might consider running a farm animal in that riding by-election. After all, pigs are flying in Alberta. Oink, oink.
                    This is nothing new; it happened in Nova Scotia circa 1993 when Premier Donald Cameron, leading the Conservatives to a loss, resigned his seat before the vote count was finished. His remarks included the (in)famous line, "I am a doer, not a hanger-on-er".

Comment

Re: a Canadian first with the resignation of a seat before the vote count was complet

Listen Comrades, things are fine here. We have potatoes in every pot!

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                        Listen Comrades, things are fine here. We have potatoes in every pot!
                        Just wait a little...

Comment

Originally posted by Alvah Mayo View Post
                          This is nothing new; it happened in Nova Scotia circa 1993 when Premier Donald Cameron, leading the Conservatives to a loss, resigned his seat before the vote count was finished. His remarks included the (in)famous line, "I am a doer, not a hanger-on-er".
                          Thanks for the info.

Unlike any other job that I know, it's considered perfectly normal for politicians to utter falsehoods, make promises they don't keep, and play a little "Calvinball" if things don't go their way.

I wonder what the effect on the voters in Prentice's riding would have been if they knew that he was going to carry out this stunt on E-day.

On the other hand, if he had no intention of showing up, providing any services to his constituents, or participating in the expected duties of an MLA, then there is a kind of dishonourable honour in what he did.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Unlike any other job that I know, it's considered perfectly normal for politicians to utter falsehoods, make promises they don't keep, and play a little "Calvinball" if things don't go their way.

I wonder what the effect on the voters in Prentice's riding would have been if they knew that he was going to carry out this stunt on E-day.

On the other hand, if he had no intention of showing up, providing any services to his constituents, or participating in the expected duties of an MLA, then there is a kind of dishonourable honour in what he did.
                            Here in Albertastan, when you dishonor the party, you are relegated to the Salt Mines of Grande Prairie. We honor Comrade Prentice for his services!

Comment

Alberta Electoral Results

From The National Post May 8, 2015

The parties never die, they just start selling tractors: The bizarre second lives of Alberta’s fallen political dynasties

“Since its 1905 inception, Alberta has elected four consecutive political dynasties, only to send each into utter oblivion once voters got tired of them.

But in a testament to Prairie tenacity, not a single one of these parties has seen utter defeat as a reason to disband. Generations after they had any hope of wielding political power, all of Alberta’s former dynasties have survived to the present day as forlorn hopes, professional underdogs and tractor retailers.”

Comment

Working...
                              X