CFC ratings updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC ratings updated

The CFC ratings update today moves Bator Smabuev to #1 in Canada. For some reason the top ratings list has NOT been updated. BTW when it is updated, D. Tyomkin is listed at 2570 but there is no record of him having achieved that level. Can anyone explain?

Re: CFC ratings updated

My guess is that he was one of the beneficiaries of the infamous/famous rating points correction a while back, I believe in May of 2007 & just hasn't played CFC rated since & so hasn't distributed the rating points across the system. They gave the points out I believe based on player activity and he was a pretty active player before the correction. Which I believe defeats the purpose of the correction.

People who actually know may correct me.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 29th April, 2009, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Is the ratings statistician a human being?
      When I did CFC ratings circa 1970, I kept an eye out for grossly out-of-whack ratings and made allowances.
      For example: The pre-tournament CFC rating for Hikaru Nakamura is given as 2302 which has been upgraded to 2348 ! Whahoo! The wheels of bureaucracy roll on!
      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Thursday, 30th April, 2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

It's not like Hikaru cares about his CFC rating! His FIDE and USCF ratings are more relevant and important to him. In the Toronto Open he was given the #1 seed/board anyway so what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
          so what's the big deal?
          That others can not take advantage of his higher (actual) rating ;)

Comment

Take advantage??

Comment

Take advantage??
              Whatever are results, the person's rating change depends on the opponents' average rating. Thus it is better to play with higher rated players and especially not with underrated.

Comment

It is true that Nakamura is underrated at 2300+ however there are underrated and overrated players scattered across the entire rating range. It's best to let the invisible hand of the system work it out (just like the economic principle of letting the invisible hand do its thing in the marketplace) instead of manipulating the ratings manually as Vlad would have done. If you start manually adjusting one rating where do you stop?

Rapidly improving juniors are underrated but I am vastly overrated. So people can take advantage of me instead. :p

Comment

but I am vastly overrated. So people can take advantage of me instead. :p
                  I do not think that your rating vastly overated ;)
                  You are active. This year you have successfully played in 5 (!!!) tournaments with very stable results. Thus your rating is climbing accordingly.

Comment

Artem Samsonkin won against Hikaru Nakamura.

He gained 8 points minus 2% of rating dif ( ie .o2 x 150 = 3) for a net change of 5 points. If H.N. was taken as 2700, Artem would gain 8 PLUS 2% for a net gain of 11 points. This may seem like a pidling amount, however until H.N.'s rating reaches his proper level he will chip away several hundred EXTRA rating points from his opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Artem Samsonkin won against Hikaru Nakamura.

He gained 8 points minus 2% of rating dif ( ie .o2 x 150 = 3) for a net change of 5 points. If H.N. was taken as 2700, Artem would gain 8 PLUS 2% for a net gain of 11 points. This may seem like a pidling amount, however until H.N.'s rating reaches his proper level he will chip away several hundred EXTRA rating points from his opponents.
                      Just to clarify Vlad, you are talking about CFC rating points here aren't you?
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes, of course!

Comment

Working...
                        X