Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The A.C. White Christmas Series

The A.C. White Christmas Series

The series ran from 1905 through 1936. The publisher of the series was chess composer and enthusiast Alain Campbell White (1880-1951). A. C. White sent most books of the series to his friends as Christmas gifts. But they were offered for sale, too. The series consists of 44 books on problems. Most books are hard covers, bound in red cloth with gold lettering, usually written in English, sometimes in German and French and one was partially in Czech.

Some of the titles are: Tasks and Echoes, 100 Chess Problems by William Meredith, The White Knights, Asymmetry, Sam Loyd and His Chess Problems and Valves and Bivalves. Two that are almost never seen for sale on the used book market are Retrograde Analysis and the Robert Braune book, described below. A facsimile edition of the latter is available.

Almost every chess book collector worth his salt has tried his hand at getting the whole 44. After decades collecting, I have about 30. Perhaps, with determination, I might reach 40 in the next few years.

This interesting note on the Braune book appeared at the Ken Whyld site recently:

Today (May 7) marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of RMS Lusitania which was torpedoed 11 miles west of Ireland on 7th May 1915. The ship was apparently carrying many copies of Robert Braune, Apôtre de la Symétrie by Alain C White and published by Librairie De La Stratégie in Paris 1913. Robert McWilliam of the British Chess Problem Society claimed, in a letter to Bob Meadley, that 500 copies had been lost but this figure has been disputed by Meadley in his extremely interesting "A Letter to Bert" suggesting that the total print run would have only been about 300.

This has always been given as the explanation for the scarcity of this edition of the "Christmas Series", however, the ship was travelling from New York to London and quite why many copies of this book, which was presumably printed in France, were on board is a mystery to me.

The fact remains that "Robert Braune" is by far the rarest of the Christmas Series and a copy sold at the Klittich auction in June 2014 for 2,200 euros.

Michael Clapham

From: http://www.kwabc.org/index.php/17-la...-rms-lusitania

Re: The A.C. White Christmas Series

The A.C.White Christmas Series

January 8, 2016

I have recently been editing some Canadian chess material from 1951 and came across this note by Malcolm Sim:

Alain White Passes – An unique figure in the chess problem world, and one of the most outstanding in the last half-century, Alain White died at Summerville, S.C., on April 23th., in his 71st year. Mr. White was a great problem theorist, and certainly was the greatest of connoisseurs. His two notable achievements were the collection of world chess problems, now in the hands of sectional curators in England, and his Christmas series of problem books covering a number of years.

We had the pleasure of collaborating with Mr. White on this collection of world problems for twelve years, and in the work on the production of several of his books. When we viewed the vast collection intact, back in 1918, at Riverdale-on-the-Hudson, it occupied three sides of a large room. All the problems were arranged according to theme in their various classes.

Mr. White’s first great problem book was “Chess Lyrics”, the collection of the compositions of A.E. Mackenzie, of Kingston, Jamaica, though blind, the greatest composer in his time. Then Mr. White hit on the idea of the less costly series of Christmas books, one or two appearing each year-end, and their popularity was instant. To his chess friends, the world over, he sent them gratis.

A fine tribute book, “To Alain White”, was published on the occasion of his 65th birthday, on March 3rd, 1945, contributed to by his friends the world over, and edited by the late Edgar W. Allen of Boston and Eric M. Hassberg, a leading composer of New York. Mr. White was an accomplished literary man in many fields. He was a bachelor, and lived with his sister at their homes in Litchfield, Conn., and Lakewood, N.J., until her death over ten years back.

Malcolm Sim, Canadian Chess Chat, May 1951, p.23
    _______

I had the opportunity recently to bid on a number of the Christmas Series books and won four.

“Retrograde Analysis” was on the block and I thought, if I were lucky, I might get it for a bargain price. In the last minute however, bidding intensified. A button came up which, if clicked, would put me $5 over the presently bid offer. I clicked and, to my horror, saw that it was $910! Then the auction was done – time had run out.

Happy and unhappy ending – the winner must have had an undisclosed bid of a thousand or more because he won the Retro book for $920 and I still have my cash in my pocket to buy another Bobby Fischer book.

Comment

June 2, 2019

In 2015 I wrote about The A.C. White Christmas Series of problem books, and in particular about the rarity of one volume:

Robert Braune, Apôtre de la Symétrie

A rare chess book of the modern era. And now, there is one up for auction:

http://www.chesslund.com/detail.asp?...-de-la-Symtrie

The auction is at the Lund Chess Academy. The starting bid was 100 euros and at present, with seven days to go, it is at 1200 euros.

The auction ends June 10 at 19:40 Swedish time.

I would expect it to sell for more than 5000 euros; that would be 7500 CAD
      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 3rd June, 2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

June 10, 2019

Bids have finished on Lund auction item “Robert Braune, Apôtre de la Symétrie”. The price was 2950 euros, which translates to 4432 CAD or 3338 USD. There were 37 bids and a bidder with the nom of Garyl got it.

I expected the final price to be much higher.

The Canadian magazine Checkmate 1901-1904 went for 226 euros to 32 bids

15 autographs from Karlsbad 1907 – a sheet with the signatures of Rubinstein, Maroczy, Nimzowitsch, Duras, Teichmann, Salwe, Duz-Khotimirsky, Marshall, Spielmann, Janowski, Berger, Mieses, Chigorin, Olland and Cohn went for 1320 euros with 43 bids.

The signatures of Leonhardt Schlechter, Vidmar, Wolf, Tartakower and Johner are missing
        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 10th June, 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

July 2, 2019

The 44thand last book in The Christmas Series was “A Genius of the Two-Mover: A Selection of Problems by Comins Mansfield”, by A.C. White, Stroud 1936.

This from The Chess Reader, Volume II, Spring 1956, pages 73-75, edited by Ken Whyld:

In 1941, Alain White resumed the compilation of problem books, with the help of Frank Altschul, a New York banker. Mr. Altschul had always been interested in printing as an art, and in 1934 had set up a private press at his country home in Stamford, Connecticut, which he called the “Overbrook Press”. During the years 1941 to 1945, he printed eight problem books. “Adventures in Composition” is generally regarded by chess bibliophiles as being the most pleasing of a very fine series, although “Variation Play” was selected by a jury of the American Institute of Graphic Arts in 1943, as one of the fifty “Books of the Year” from a typographical standpoint.

In 2017 the complete series was offered up for auction at a starting price of 2500 euros but there were no bids.

The description of the books:

1. A.C. White, C. Mansfield, F. Gamage & V. Eaton: A Century of Two-Movers. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1941. 8°, 213 pages; ed. of 350 copies. L/N 2843; Betts 36 - 6 / Condition : a very small faded stripe (about 0,5 cm) on top of the cover. Gilt edges on top. Overall Assessment = Very Good!

2. A.C. White. F. Gamage. An Artist in Chess Problems. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1941. 8°, 227 pages; ed. of 250 copies. L/N 2849; Betts 33 - 31 / Ex-libris Mr. David DeLucia. Condition : Gilt edges on top. Overall Assessment = Excellent!

3. R. Cheney, V. Eaton, O. Wurzburg & A.C. White (eds.): A Chess Silhouette. One Hundred Chess Problems by the Reverend Gilbert Dobbs. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1942. ed. of 150 copies. L/N 2851 Condition : Overall Assessment = Very Good!

4. A.C. White, E.W. Allen, B.M. Marshall: A Sketchbook of American Chess Problematists. 2 Volumes. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1942. 8°, vol. 1 – 138 pages; vol. 2 – 163 pages; ed. of 250 copies. L/N 2857; Betts 32 - 32, in a slipcase with original very thin brown paper wraps encasing the hardback bindings, Ex-libris Mr. David DeLucia. Condition = slipcase with very slight wear. Overall Assessment = Excellent!

5. A. Buschke, R. Cheney & A.C. White: The Two-Move Chess Problem in the Soviet Union 1923-1943. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1943. 8°, 62 pages; ed. of 300 copies. L/N 2859; Betts 36 - 7, Condition = a tiny tear and hole on the original very thin brown paper wrap encasing the hardback binding. Overall Assessment = Very Good to Excellent!

6. W. Jacobs & A.C. White: Variation Play. A Study in the Mechanisms and Relationships of Black Moves in the Two-Move Chess Problems. Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1943. 122 pages and 131 diagrams; ed. of 225 copies. L/N 2866; Betts 35 - 7. With a handwritten dedication from R. Cheney to Reuben Fine. Condition = slight wear to top and lower part of the spine, corners slightly bumped. cover edges with some slight shelf wear. Overall Assessment = Very Good!

7. C. Mansfield: Adventures in Composition. The Art of The Two-Move Chess Problem. Ed. by A.C. White, Stamford, The Overbrook Press, 1944. 8°, 212 pages; ed. of 400 copies. 150 on W&A rag paper. This copy is printed on W&A rag paper. This edition is much scarcer than the Flemish Book laid paper green binding edition. L/N 2878; Betts 34 - 12. Ex-libris Mr. David DeLucia. Original very thin white paper wrap encasing the hardback binding. Condition = Overall Assessment = Excellent!

8. E.W. Allen & E.M. Hassberg (eds.): To Alain White. A Tribute from his friends on the occasion of his sixty-fifth birthday March the third, 1945. Loosely inserted: A Note of Thanks from Alain White. Stamford, The Overbook Press, 1945. 8°. With 1 plate, 77 pages; ed. of 300 copies. L/N 2889; Betts 33 - 86. Ex-libris Mr. David DeLucia. Condition = slight discoloration to back board, slight shelf wear, corners bumped, light foxing on the last two endpapers. Overall Assessment = Good to still Very Good!

http://www.chesslund.com/detail.asp?...ookquot-series

They were offered again for auction in June of 2019, but this time, separately. The two right entries have the winning bids, first in euros and then, in Canadian dollars:

1. A Century of Two Movers 180 euros 266 CAD
          2. An Artist in Chess Problems 412 euros 610 CAD
          3. A Chess Silhouette 602 euros 891 CAD
          4. Sketchbook of American Chess Problematists 637 euros 943 CAD
          5. The Two-Move Chess Problem 300 euros 444 CAD
          6. Variation Play 1008 euros 1492 CAD
          7. Adventures in Composition 485 euros 718 CAD
          8. To Alain White 170 euros 252 CAD
          9. Overbrook Series: Advertisement 24 euros 36 CAD

Total 3818 euros or 5652 CAD

Comment

Working...