2015 Zonal: Sambuev looking for 3rd straight title, Hansen returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Updated List

I think 3 or 4 women (including Nava Starr and Hazel Smith) played in the 2004 edition of the Closed.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      I think 3 or 4 women (including Nava Starr and Hazel Smith) played in the 2004 edition of the Closed.
      Yes. I recall talking to Duncan at the event and Hazel was playing. I don't recall if there were other women playing.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Indeed! Nava, Hazel and Dinara Khaziyeva all graced the 2004 Closed. Pretty sure Qiyu is our first female defending world champion at the Closed though Gordon!

Comment

Valentina Goutor was the highest scoring woman of the 2004 event. Daniela Belc and Dina Kagramanov graced the 2006 event. Looking forward to participating with Qiyu (maybe i will get to play her!) in this years event.

Comment

Re: Schach of Ages

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
            Hi Hal, sorry, I would have sent this to you via email, but I couldn't find it. I appreciate your effort for the Zonal. My minor contribution toward this is as follows:

(1) Our company (Business Improvement Group Inc.) will provide a brilliancy prize of $1,000 CDN as judged by GM Duncan Suttles of 3 games submitted by your group to me/Duncan.

(2) $1,000 to anyone that might achieve a perfect score.

Hope this is ok with you.

Brian
            Hi Brian,

Have you received the 3 candidate games for the brilliancy prize? All games are available at http://www.canadianchesszonal.com/games.html

Comment

Hi, I left it to the organizers to supply the candidate games, versus GM Suttles having to pore over several. Of the ones submitted, Duncan chose the Sambuev game.

What I might have preferred would have been a website setup with pgn games submitted by any player who wanted their game considered, then have the chess playing public/audience choose the best 3 by voting, then have Duncan review those - while this can be manipulated to some extent, the point of it would be to generate interest and interaction. Perhaps next time.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
                Hi, I left it to the organizers to supply the candidate games, versus GM Suttles having to pore over several. Of the ones submitted, Duncan chose the Sambuev game.

What I might have preferred would have been a website setup with pgn games submitted by any player who wanted their game considered, then have the chess playing public/audience choose the best 3 by voting, then have Duncan review those - while this can be manipulated to some extent, the point of it would be to generate interest and interaction. Perhaps next time.

Brian

That's a great idea. Maybe next Canadian Closed. :)

Comment

Working...
                X