Clear All

• Nigel Short sticking to his guns...

Poor Nigel, not politically correct at all:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-of-chess.html

Re: Nigel Short sticking to his guns...

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Poor Nigel, not politically correct at all:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-of-chess.html
    I agree that it's not politically correct. And I would certainly try to avoid making such comments if I were a public figure in chess.

Still... men and women are different. Nurturing can get you some places, but it's pointless to deny nature, too.

Nigel is just being provocative here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      I agree that it's not politically correct. And I would certainly try to avoid making such comments if I were a public figure in chess.

Still... men and women are different. Nurturing can get you some places, but it's pointless to deny nature, too.

Nigel is just being provocative here.
      Provocative ? Why ? Because he states a balanced opinion ?
      Of course, men are genetically more suited to fighting than women. And chess is largely fighting.
      There is absolutely no point in denying that.
      Which does not mean that women cannot play good chess or shouldn't play chess at all.
      I can hardly believe that Judit Polgar would have said something like : playing chess is not about gender but about being smart.
      Considering the facts that would actually be extremely derogatory to women.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        Provocative ? Why ? Because he states a balanced opinion ?
        Of course, men are genetically more suited to fighting than women. And chess is largely fighting.
        There is absolutely no point in denying that.
        On the whole, I agree with you Jean. But when you write or say such things, you have to be very careful because people will cite you in the most outrageous way possible just to create drama.

And a statement like Short's "The simple fact of the matter is that men play better chess than women" is obviously false, if taken just by itself with no proper context.

So yeah, Short was being provocative. Not in what he said, but in the way he said it. IMO.

Comment

So yeah, Short was being provocative. Not in what he said, but in the way he said it. IMO.
          If you state something worth being stated, there is no way to state it without being provocative.
          If someone disagrees with it, he will find it provocative, if not squarely insulting.
          Way to go Nigel Short !
          He has something important to say and he says it, strongly but respectfully IHMO.
          We need more Shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            If you state something worth being stated, there is no way to state it without being provocative.
            If someone disagrees with it, he will find it provocative, if not squarely insulting.
            Way to go Nigel Short !
            He has something important to say and he says it, strongly but respectfully IHMO.
            We need more Shorts.
            I would like to know why it needed to be said that men's brains are better wired to play chess than women's brains. Ignoring the whole question of whether the statement is true or not and to what degree (since it certainly wouldn't be universally true as Judit Polgar's record against Nigel Short indicates)... WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE STATED AT ALL?

For that matter, why is anyone bothering to separate men and women in chess? Why isn't there a separation of left-handers and right-handers in chess? Or of liberals and conservatives? Or separate out the various races? We could go on and on creating separate groups, and maybe some day we'd find that deaf left-handed conservative blue-eyed Asian vegetarian bisexual transgenders born under the sign of Taurus make the overall best chess players. And of course, even they lose regularly to top computer engines.

Nigel didn't need to say anything at all comparing women and men in chess. He is inviting controversy, even more so by his follow-up rants against feminists. What service does this do to chess? What company that does business with both sexes is going to hear about this and say "Hey, we should put some money into chess"?

And one thing is absolutely for sure: if Jean Hebert disagreed with Nigel's view, we all know Jean would NOT be saying "way to go Nigel Short".
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

If female chess players disagree with Nigel, then why are they not petitioning FIDE to eliminate female-only tournaments and championships? Why do they not demand the elimination of Women's teams at the Olympiads? It seems to me that these practices are sexist and condescending to women if we are to assume that there is no reason why women cannot play chess just as well as men can. The women who attack Nigel but not FIDE want to have their cake and eat it too. They are guilty of a double-standard. I will respect their attacks on Nigel only when they themselves attack FIDE and the chess world for having women's only events. In fact, by not attacking FIDE and the chess world they are implicitly agreeing with Nigel, unless they are willing to admit to their double-standard of wanting the cake and eating it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                Why do they not demand the elimination of Women's teams at the Olympiads? It seems to me that these practices are sexist and condescending to women if we are to assume that there is no reason why women cannot play chess just as well as men can. The women who attack Nigel but not FIDE want to have their cake and eat it too. They are guilty of a double-standard.
                Come on now, let's not act like women aren't a minority in chess tournaments.

You know what's it's like to be a minority? To have the majority always picking on you with condescending remarks? Because that's exactly what your post is doing.
                Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Wednesday, 24th June, 2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

You know what's it's like to be a minority? To have the majority always picking on you with condescending remarks?
                  Really? As an adult white male, I am a distinct minority in local chess tournaments, which are mostly juniors of Chinese or South-Asian descent. That must be why I lose, because the majority is picking on me.

Hey, I'm a victim! Can I get compensation, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                    I would like to know why it needed to be said that men's brains are better wired to play chess than women's brains. Ignoring the whole question of whether the statement is true or not and to what degree (since it certainly wouldn't be universally true as Judit Polgar's record against Nigel Short indicates)... WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE STATED AT ALL?

Nigel didn't need to say anything at all comparing women and men in chess. He is inviting controversy, even more so by his follow-up rants against feminists. What service does this do to chess? What company that does business with both sexes is going to hear about this and say "Hey, we should put some money into chess"?

And one thing is absolutely for sure: if Jean Hebert disagreed with Nigel's view, we all know Jean would NOT be saying "way to go Nigel Short".
                    The answer is simple. Controversy attracts attention, one only has to look at the number of posts on these threads to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                      Really? As an adult white male, I am a distinct minority in local chess tournaments, which are mostly juniors of Chinese or South-Asian descent. That must be why I lose, because the majority is picking on me.

Hey, I'm a victim! Can I get compensation, or something?
                      An adult white male in Canada... thinks he's a minority. I've heard it all.

Comment

Even in Canada as a whole, men are a minority "total population: 0.99 male(s)/female (2013 est.)" (Wikipedia).

However, I said I was a minority in local chess tournaments, as white adult male. Note the qualifying adjectives.

Comment

An adult white male in Canada... thinks he's a minority. I've heard it all.
                          You missed the part "... in local chess tournaments" - he is also a minority in Chinese Supermarkets but that means just as little.

Sometimes a "minority" is NOT the result of systemic bias, it is just the makeup of the people involved. For hundreds of years,
                          chess has been dominated by males but that does not mean females were explicitly excluded.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I understand all of that. But being a minority also involves that you might feel intimidated (strong word, but you get the idea) by the majority. Not like the majority is actively intimidating you, but there's just a slight feeling of discomfort.

If you're a white adult male and feel intimidated by a bunch of asian kids in your local chess tournament, maybe you should get yourself checked.

Comment

So your understanding of a minority is someone who feels intimidated?? Sigh.

This thread has turned into a prime example of "when you argue with an idiot, there are two idiots arguing".

Comment

Working...
                              X