Montreal blitz results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal blitz results

Congratulations to Neil Sullivan who won the monthly Cafe Pi blitz tournament with a perfect 19-0 score! Complete results will be posted in the next day or two.

Going back a few years, Neil won Montreal's 1974 Alekhine CC "speed chess marathon" (Chess Canada, May-June 1975, p. 16). Kevin Spraggett had won it in 1971, 1972, and 1973; Leo Williams in 1970; Gerry Rubin in 1969. Kevin also won it in a couple of subsequent years. The title was determined by the player with the highest blitz rating at year end who had played over a certain number of games (I forget the number).

Re: Montreal blitz results

Thanks Hugh! Of course I had the requisite amount of luck, but I am still pathethetically pleased about the result.

During the event I overhead a couple of kids saying "Have you played the old guy yet? He's pretty strong." Imagine my shock when I realized they were talking about me! :) Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun to play.

If I remember correctly, the Alekhine yearly title required a minimum of 100 games played. That could have been as little as 6 - 7 tournaments, so it wasn't that hard to qualify. Kevin took a break in 1974 which is the only reason I had any chance whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
    X