Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gun on the Table

A Gun on the Table

There recently has been a discussion on the English Chess Forum about weapons at American tournaments.

The covers of two chess books add impact to the thread: The Sniper by Charlie Storey and Secret Weapons by Andrew Martin.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic....158963#p158963

The posting that sparked comment was this, in part, from the USCF Forum:

I have recently had to make a decision at a chess tournament which I feel was the correct decision but would like to see how the USCF, and others, would respond to this decision.

A man I know wanted to have a gun present at a chess tournament for his protection citing Open Carry laws. Focusing only on this aspect, and not on the stuff that led up to this man feeling this was necessary (it wasn't), here is the reasoning I used in denying him entry into my events:

(1) The USCF rules book says players cannot have an aid to playing the game. Aids include taking notes, electronic devices, and all manner of other things we all often discuss.

(2) A gun can be an intimidating presence to other players, especially those who are not gun enthusiasts.

(3) Thus, this can give a psychological advantage over your opponent.

(4) Therefore, as a TD, I ruled that this was unacceptable and I denied him entry.

I believe this was the right course of action completely, against this individual. But, I'd like to see if anyone else has run into this sort of thing or not?

http://www.uschess.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21617

And here I thought that the only things you could not bring into the playing hall were a cell telephone and a secret computing device!

Re: A Gun on the Table

Hand grenades ?

Comment

About 20 years ago I was playing in a tournament in California with a fairly large prize fund (c. $8K) and asked offhand to another player whom I knew fairly well what would happen if the event were robbed as the prizes were being paid out in cash. He replied "See that guy over there? He's a Navy Seal and is carrying. This guy over here is a cop, and he is carrying ..." etc. He mentioned four or five players that he knew of in the tournament that were armed. I don't know if he was joking or not though he seemed "deadly" serious.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

having a gun at a "sporting event" where people complete and possibly someone gets angry. What could possibly go wrong.....

Playing in the US occasionally and knowing the non-rational nature of the debate there regarding guns I have thought previously what I would do in such a situation and the answer is that I would refuse to play the person in question. And if it was likely that my games would run into that situation on a regular basis I would stop playing in those tournaments.

Yes it is intimidating and yes it is not safe.

Comment

The great Russian writer A. Chekhov taught us that if a gun appears in the description of a story ... then it must go off before the end of the story. Let's hope life doesn't imitate art.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
          X