Morbid Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morbid Monday

Kevin Spraggett presents a morbid Monday thought with his Khalid Masood quote, "It's the end of time every moment, for someone."

World mortality stats would support Masood. There are roughly 1.75 deaths each and every second (versus just over 4 births) on the planet. In the 60 seconds I spent submitting this post, 105 poor souls, give or take a few, just died ):

Re: Morbid Monday

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Kevin Spraggett presents a morbid Monday thought with his Khalid Masood quote, "It's the end of time every moment, for someone."

World mortality stats would support Masood. There are roughly 1.75 deaths each and every second (versus just over 4 births) on the planet. In the 60 seconds I spent submitting this post, 105 poor souls, give or take a few, just died ):
    And those 4 births a second implies a lot of other 'activity', with a 9 month or so time lag ;)

Comment

Actually the part that we should be worried about is the fact that births - deaths = 2.75 more people on the earth every second. Over one year that is 86,783,400 more people on this planet, more than twice the population of Canada.

Until births = deaths, we are going to make things worse on this planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
        Actually the part that we should be worried about is the fact that births - deaths = 2.75 more people on the earth every second. Over one year that is 86,783,400 more people on this planet, more than twice the population of Canada.

Until births = deaths, we are going to make things worse on this planet.
        I am not sure even that will ultimately be enough though plenty of optimists are around who believe the number who can live on the planet will continue to advance with technology and have been proven correct, at least thus far.

I have an idea (probably bad idea) for a novel that I will surely never write. Set in the mid-2100s, thanks to technology which allows people to live to 150, the planet has a population of 20+ billion. The World Government tries to "correct" the problem by having a culling of the 99%. How they do this is to have a 24-hour Murder Day. On that day every non-essential (i.e. non-rich, non-powerful, non-connected) person has to kill at least one other person or have someone killed on behalf of that person (so, for example, a parent can kill someone on behalf of their child). Anyone not doing this is put to death. Between those killed by their fellow man, and those who are executed either because they are unwilling or unable to kill anyone in the 24 hours, the Earth's population instantly shrinks by well over 50% in only one day.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

There is already a movie with a similar theme which has made it to sequels though in that one you aren't compelled to kill and the 1% aren't necessarily immune. I didn't watch the movie which seemed to me to be a variation on the slasher movies. In that series the normal laws are suspended for a period of time and this brings massive mayhem or that is the impression that I got from the trailers.

Comment

Tom O,
            You really are a candidate for the loonie bin :)

What the planet can support with food must have a limit, but that doesn't mean everyone will starve by inches. Simply food will increase in price and the poorest will starve - as is happening now. The most affluent will continue to eat 'high on the hog'.
            Our friends south of the border will set new standards of obesity and there will be a huge market for anti-obesity pills - so that they can shed some of the blubber and engage in continuing gastronomic pleasures - the current version of the Romans' vomiting between courses so they could cram more food down their gullets.
            Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 15th July, 2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              I am not sure even that will ultimately be enough though plenty of optimists are around who believe the number who can live on the planet will continue to advance with technology and have been proven correct, at least thus far.

I have an idea (probably bad idea) for a novel that I will surely never write. Set in the mid-2100s, thanks to technology which allows people to live to 150, the planet has a population of 20+ billion. The World Government tries to "correct" the problem by having a culling of the 99%. How they do this is to have a 24-hour Murder Day. On that day every non-essential (i.e. non-rich, non-powerful, non-connected) person has to kill at least one other person or have someone killed on behalf of that person (so, for example, a parent can kill someone on behalf of their child). Anyone not doing this is put to death. Between those killed by their fellow man, and those who are executed either because they are unwilling or unable to kill anyone in the 24 hours, the Earth's population instantly shrinks by well over 50% in only one day.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
                I'm afraid I don't have a TV nor watch movies in theatres so unfortunately I've never heard of this. Too bad, because I had this idea about ten years ago and could have made a mint! :P
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                  I'm afraid I don't have a TV nor watch movies in theatres so unfortunately I've never heard of this. Too bad, because I had this idea about ten years ago and could have made a mint! :P
                  Heh. If it makes you feel any better, despite an interesting idea, the movie (and it's sequel) are pretty horrible in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X