Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed trivia...

Answers will be posted later.

1) Who is the only player ever to have participated in a Canadian Championship (CC) who did not represent a Canadian province? (he represented a territory).

2) Name three players who played in CC's who were not Canadians (and never became such), and were recognized by FIDE as being from other federations. Two were Americans.

3) When and where was the first CC held outside of Ontario and Quebec?

4) Who was the first winner from outside of Ontario and Quebec?

5) Twice (in the round-robin era) has the CC been won with a perfect score. By whom?

6) How many took part in the largest round-robin CC?

7) Who was the only pure-blood Native Canadian ("Indian") to have participated?

8) How often has the CC been held in the Maritimes?

9) Over the years, CC winners have represented how many provinces?

Re: Canadian Closed trivia...

Here are the answers.

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

1) Who is the only player ever to have participated in a Canadian Championship (CC) who did not represent a Canadian province? (he represented a territory).
    A.T. Stephenson took part in the 1904 CC. He was from Red Deer, Alberta - then part of the North-West Territories. (Alberta became a province in 1905).

2) Name three players who played in CC's who were not Canadians (and never became such), and were recognized by FIDE as being from other federations. Two were Americans.
    1940: Fred Wren (Maine, USA) finished with 0/10. He also played in 1943 (3/11). 1947: Robert Wade (New Zealand) finished with 7/13 (8th out of 14 players). 1984: Danny Kopec (USA) tied for 2nd with 10/15.

3) When and where was the first CC held outside of Ontario and Quebec?
    1904 in Winnipeg.

4) Who was the first winner from outside of Ontario and Quebec?
    Magnus Smith from Winnipeg won in 1899.

5) Twice (in the round-robin era) has the CC been won with a perfect score. By whom?
    Abe Yanofsky in 1943 (11-0) and in 1959 (11-0).

6) How many took part in the largest round-robin CC?
    The 1938 CC was held in Toronto with 19 players. They completed the round-robin event in 10 days. Maurice Fox won (15-3).

7) Who was the only pure-blood Native Canadian ("Indian") to have participated?
    Harold Tootoosis of Saskatchewan finished last in the 1969 CC with 0.5/17.

8) How often has the CC been held in the Maritimes?
    Once - 1943 in Dalhousie - a town of about 5,000 in NE New Brunswick.

9) Over the years, CC winners have represented how many provinces?
    All winners have been from 4 provinces - Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and BC.

Comment

Re the 2nd question: in the 1984 Closed Danny Kopec did tie for 2nd with Brian Hartman but they scored 9 points only in the 16 player RR. I think 10 ponts would have been good for an IM title at that time. They did both later become IM's.

Comment

What I wrote above is mostly right but a little wrong. The tournament was kind of thrown into turmoil by the withdrawal of Bob Zuk after seven rounds. As he had played less than 50% of his games his results were scrubbed so it was more like a 15 player RR, depending on how you view these things. I think that 9.5 points would have secured the IM title at the end, and both Danny and Brian missed the target by half a point, largely thanks to me--I drew Danny in round 14 in a marathon game and held Brian to a draw in the last round.

Comment

Working...
        X