Correspondence chess question (for Gary?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correspondence chess question (for Gary?)

I have been contacted by a guy who is incarcerated - he wants to play correspondence chess by mail - snail mail. He says he wrote to the Correspondence Chess Association, but apparently no one plays by snail mail.

Gary, is this the case?

Re: Correspondence chess question (for Gary?)

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    I have been contacted by a guy who is incarcerated - he wants to play correspondence chess by mail - snail mail. He says he wrote to the Correspondence Chess Association, but apparently no one plays by snail mail.

Gary, is this the case?
    I haven't played Correspondence chess for several years so don't know for sure but I suspect they no longer play by snail mail. For some events the Canadian organization loads the events on the ICCF server and the games are played there. Other events will be email. The cost of postage has become too expensive.

The ICCF, does have postal events and the Canadian Correspondence Association can enter a player into one of those international events. Some of those can take a long time for a move depending on the country. I don't know what the Canadian policy is now for prisoners and international mail.

When I directed ICCF events, there were incarcerated players. Quite a few from the US. They could not be paired with each other. It wasn't allowed.

The Canadian association used to have several incarcerated players.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Further to my last reply, I received information the correspondence association does still have snail mail events. They also currently have a Canadian Closed by post and a nationwide open by snail mail. They start other events as the entries allow but maybe they are slow to get enough entries.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Not very many snail-mail tnmts are held by the CCCA these days. After playing in the ongoing Closed (my games are finished), I have to say that I very much prefer the ICCF server by a wide margin for CCCA, NAPZ, and ICCF events.

Comment

I also like the ICCF server. It was my preference. It took away the problem of writing the wrong moves like in postal and email.

The big part I miss about the ICCF is their message board.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I suspect the incarcerated guy may not have regular access to email and internet.

JC

Comment

Working...
            X