WYCC 2015 - Team Canada Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYCC 2015 - Team Canada Lineup

We have a very large team travelling to Greece this year.

The team lineup is now posted on the CFC website.
    http://miltonchess.ca/images/cfc/wyccgreece.pdf
    We are working towards an Aug 16th target date to register the team.

Please report all errors & omissions on the list ASAP.
    Report to info@chess.ca and renepreotu@gmail.com

Everyone should have received an invitation from Rene by now.
    If not, hurry to your keyboard.

Many thanks to Rene Preotu who has spearheaded this effort.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 12th August, 2015, 02:20 PM.

Re: WYCC 2015 - Team Canada Lineup

Wow, 60 players!

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      Wow, 60 players!
      a couple of days ago I got the actual registered number which was 38 players(much more than last year), probably the CFC list above(60) includes those who haven't made decision or don't go.
      notice that the World Champion Qiyu in above list, it will be the first time that Canadian world champion participate next year's WYCC if she really goes.

Comment

A lot of familiar faces on the players roster this year! Strange, but you can't say the same about the coaching staff.

I know of a least a few other titled players who showed an interest for the position, so how exactly did we determine a who was the best fit? Was there a vetting process, an application? I conveyed my interest since the very moment the CYCC ended, with an email to the CFC. Having coached the WYCC the last 2 years in a row, I expected to at least receive consideration, or a reply to acknowledge that my intent was received. I don't mind being rejected but I didn't even get that response. Either I've been overlooked by accident or on purpose, both seem quite unfair.

Last year, among my other bright students, I had the pleasure of working with Qiyu Zhou and helping her achieve a gold medal in the U14G category. I don't claim to be her only influence, in fact quite the opposite: I started working with Qiyu for the first time during the event. However, I did play a significant role preparing specific things for every game and I think this speaks to my capabilities as a coach. As far as I know, reviews from players and parents on my behalf are quite positive as well. I find it astonishing that someone who has demonstrated clear proficiency for 2 years in the WYCC coaching position did not receive any consideration this year. Even if there was consideration, there was certainly no communication.

It's a real shame that the selection process for this position seems to have been cheapened to whoever emails first and agrees to do it for the least amount of money. Surely past success in the position, experience, combined with rating and other chess qualifications have to come into consideration when determining candidates for the job? In any case, an interesting group of coaches the CFC has put together, and discouraging I'll not be a part of it despite my enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
          with an email to the CFC
          Sorry to hear your story.

Let me guess, your email was lost in another xxx of the presidents emails LOL
          Let me guess (x2), the noise about the youth committee will rise again :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Sorry to hear your story.

Let me guess, your email was lost in another xxx of the presidents emails LOL
            Let me guess (x2), the noise about the youth committee will rise again :)
            I also found Aman's story to be a sad commentary on the current state of affairs... there doesn't seem to be an upper limit on the noise though.
            Almost every action the CFC takes seems to be a knee-jerk *reaction* by the Executive or (sometimes? often?) a single member of the Executive.

This is not the way to run any organization. If you are going to have an enlightened dictatorship, you have to have the 'enlightened' part...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I don't mind being rejected but I didn't even get that response. Either I've been overlooked by accident or on purpose, both seem quite unfair.

Last year, among my other bright students, I had the pleasure of working with Qiyu Zhou and helping her achieve a gold medal in the U14G category. I don't claim to be her only influence, in fact quite the opposite: I started working with Qiyu for the first time during the event. However, I did play a significant role preparing specific things for every game and I think this speaks to my capabilities as a coach. As far as I know, reviews from players and parents on my behalf are quite positive as well. I find it astonishing that someone who has demonstrated clear proficiency for 2 years in the WYCC coaching position did not receive any consideration this year. Even if there was consideration, there was certainly no communication.

It's a real shame that the selection process for this position seems to have been cheapened to whoever emails first and agrees to do it for the least amount of money. Surely past success in the position, experience, combined with rating and other chess qualifications have to come into consideration when determining candidates for the job? In any case, an interesting group of coaches the CFC has put together, and discouraging I'll not be a part of it despite my enthusiasm.
              I have sent you an email. You have not been rejected and there is time to include you on the coaching team.

Comment

just guess there might be a possibility to have more coaches considering there are 58 registered players with 5 coaches currently(more than 10 players per coach). Last year I think there were at least 4 coaches for 16 players(less than 4 players per coach)?

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
                  just guess there might be a possibility to have more coaches considering there are 58 registered players with 5 coaches currently(more than 10 players per coach). Last year I think there were at least 4 coaches for 16 players(less than 4 players per coach)?
                  Last year a lot of players dropped out after coaches were already appointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    Last year a lot of players dropped out after coaches were already appointed.
                    Good that World Champion Qiyu didn't drop out last year :) expect Canada gets another world champion this year, Razven, Maili-Jade etc.

Comment

A lot of familiar faces on the players roster this year! Strange, but you can't say the same about the coaching staff.

I know of a least a few other titled players who showed an interest for the position, so how exactly did we determine a who was the best fit? Was there a vetting process, an application? I conveyed my interest since the very moment the CYCC ended, with an email to the CFC. Having coached the WYCC the last 2 years in a row, I expected to at least receive consideration, or a reply to acknowledge that my intent was received. I don't mind being rejected but I didn't even get that response. Either I've been overlooked by accident or on purpose, both seem quite unfair.

First, I would like to thank CFC, Vlad and Rene (as a parent volunteer) for working hard and putting everything together.

Second, I support Aman’s concern. It would be fairer to have a transparent process for deciding the coach team.

Thanks!

A chess player's parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Connie zhou View Post
                        First, I would like to thank CFC, Vlad and Rene (as a parent volunteer) for working hard and putting everything together.

Second, I support Aman’s concern. It would be fairer to have a transparent process for deciding the coach team.

Thanks!

A chess player's parent.
                        This year our process has been that every coach that applied and was willing or able to go under our very modest compensation formula has been accepted. We only pay a $500 honorarium which is up from the $350 honorarium which was in place when I took over as CFC president. In addition we pay for accommodation and food and the plane ticket to Greece. I wish we could do more but that is what we do presently.

Some people compare what we do to the U.S. where the coaches get much more ($5000 each) but from what I have been told this does not come from the federation. Each player is assessed a significant fee and required to pay for these coaches and their tickets and an expensive pre-tournament training regimen. If you don't pay, you don't get to play.

Comment

Updated list with FIDE ratings as September 1st

Code:
                          Head of Delegation			
                          Jung-Doknjas, Victoria			

Official Players			
                          Chen, Max				U08 Open	1517
                          Issani, Nameer			CM	U10 Open	1750
                          Vettese, Nicholas		CM	U12 Open	2045
                          Chen, Richard			CM	U14 Open	2086
                          Preotu, Razvan			IM	U16 Open	2456
                          Song, Ziyuan				U18 Open	2055
                          Lin, Angela				U08 Girls	0
                          Kuleshova, Julia		WCM	U10 Girls	0
                          Demchenko, Svitlana			U12 Girls	0
                          Wang, Constance				U14 Girls	1629
                          Li, Yilin				U16 Girls	1968
                          Foote, Joanne				U18 Girls	1751
                          Zhou, Qiyu			WIM	U16 Girls	2154

Additional Players			
                          Atanasov, Anthony			U08 Open	0
                          Bui, Alan				U10 Open	0
                          Cai, Jason				U14 Open	1994
                          Cui, Cynthia				U12 Girls	0
                          Doknjas, John			CM	U16 Open	2218
                          Doknjas, Joshua				U14 Open	2104
                          Doknjas, Neil				U10 Open	0
                          Dorrance, Adam				U18 Open	2131
                          England, Max				U10 Open	0
                          Farkas, Jezzel				U10 Girls	0
                          Fox, Dylan				U14 Open	0
                          Gaisinsky, Adam				U12 Open	1533
                          Gaisinsky, Jacob			U10 Open	0
                          Gilani, Mysha			WCM	U10 Girls	0
                          Graif, William				U16 Open	1917
                          Guo, Yu Han (Veronica)			U08 Girls	0
                          Hua, Eugene			CM	U12 Open	1991
                          Kaneshalingam, Mathanhe		WCM	U14 Girls	1628
                          Lee, Stefano				U16 Open	1566
                          Liang, Hairan				U14 Open	1880
                          Lin, Benjamin				U12 Open	1515
                          Low, Ethan				U12 Open	1481
                          Low, Kevin				U10 Open	1798
                          Makarczyk, David			U12 Open	0
                          Noorali, Aahil			CM	U10 Open	1476
                          Ouellet, Maili-Jade		WCM	U14 Girls	1932
                          Peng, Janet				U16 Girls	1571
                          Pulfer, Luke				U12 Open	1750
                          Rodrigue-Lemieux, Shawn			U12 Open	1766
                          Sabaratnam, Alex			U18 Open	0
                          Srinivas, Atharva			U08 Open	0
                          Surya, Benito				U12 Open	1731
                          Tian, Shi Yuan				U10 Girls	0
                          Van, Thuy Thanh An			U10 Girls	0
                          Wu, Nicholas				U10 Open	1549
                          Xie, Austin				U08 Open	0
                          Xu, Andrew				U08 Open	0
                          Xu, Jeffrey			CM	U14 Open	1947
                          Zhang, Henry				U12 Open	1677
                          Zhao, Harry				U14 Open	1792
                          Zhao, Jonathan				U10 Open	0
                          Zhong, Joey				U16 Open	2028
                          Zhou, Aiden				U10 Open	1870
                          Zhou, Lily			WCM	U14 Girls	1472
                          Zhu, Jeffrey Xin-Yu			U14 Open	1758

Coaching Staff			
                          Szabo, Gergely-Andras-Gyula	GM			2560	
                          Milu, Romeo-Sorin		IM			2388	
                          Peredun, Andrew			FM			2269	
                          Berube, Richard			FM			2158	
                          Ivanov, Mike						2188	
                          Egorov, Mikhail						2006

Comment

Why is Razvan playing WYCC? In earlier posts you mentioned it was a waste of time for Razvan to be playing in these youth events such as WYCC.

Comment

Working...
                            X