Re: Canadian Open 2016 ?

I will Play if ON or QC

Comment

Stephan Tonakanian will play if ON or QC

Comment

I will play if it's on Mars!

No, seriously... what is this? Sounds like responding to a event invite on facebook. Sure thing, I'll be there *click*. 150 person click and 3 will show up.
        Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Monday, 14th September, 2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post

No, seriously... what is this? Sounds like responding to a event invite on facebook. Sure thing, I'll be there *click*. 150 person click and 3 will show up.
          what is this?
          Mathieu, if you care about the Canadian Open, please go back to post#1 and read thru them all.

This is an attempt to encourage organizers to submit bids for the 2016 Canadian Open (and beyond). Organizers who have given up on the dream because they felt pressure to "put on a big budget show" with dozens of GM's. Low budget Canadian Open's are possible if we show support.

If sponsorship money is available that year, then a big show is a go, great. But it appears there isn't enough sponsorship money around for a "big show" every year. So why not fill in those lean years with a low budget event.
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 15th September, 2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Don't worry, I've read everything.

I still think there's no point in showing 'support' that way. Saying you will play via an internet message board is basically like saying you might play in real life. There's absolutely no commitement here.

And people around this board tend to forget something. The guys posting here are a very very small but very very vocal minority. We've got thousands of people playing chess in Canada and here, it's always the same ~20 guys posting. And we're far from being representative of the majority.

So this thread is counter-productive at best. A potential organizer will see that only 10 guys are willing to play in the Canadian Open and he won't feel like it's a good idea to get involved.
            Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Tuesday, 15th September, 2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Mathieu I know all of these 6 people who have signed up. They are serious and trying to get some momentum going in the hope that someone will come forward

Comment

So this thread is counter-productive at best. A potential organizer will see that only 10 guys are willing to play in the Canadian Open and he won't feel like it's a good idea to get involved.
                So far, you are right, the pledge list is counter-productive. But at present, there are no organizers for a (low budget) Canadian Open stepping forward, so we really have nothing to lose. I would rather do something, than nothing.

Signing the list is not a serious commitment to play. You are simply acknowledging that you would be willing to play in a low budget Canadian Open. Less of a commitment than a pre-registered list, but greater than a Facebook “like”. Okay?

Comment

Working...
                X