Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IAs Please Help

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
    There is no difference between a normal draw offer and an implicit draw offer.

A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before pressing his clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid but Article 11.5 must be considered. No conditions can be attached to the offer. In both cases the offer cannot be withdrawn and remains valid until the opponent accepts it, rejects it orally, rejects it by touching a piece with the intention of moving or capturing it, or the game is concluded in some other way.
    I believe Tony's point is that the clock has been paused in the case under discussion. So, how long does the non-requestor have to decide? It is different from a normal draw offer as the person deciding will have his clock running.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      I believe Tony's point is that the clock has been paused in the case under discussion. So, how long does the non-requestor have to decide? It is different from a normal draw offer as the person deciding will have his clock running.
      The composition of the FIDE rule committee did change after Guert Gijseen left the chair. I have emailed a former member of this committee and I got confirmation that this rules has been added at the request of the USCF. This was quite obvious for anybody who has ever read a USCF rulebook. As he said: «The US wanted it. They should have worded it satisfactorily.» The wording is so confusing that different IA would have handled it differently.

If we go at the source, the USCF 5th edition rules, the draw offers begins only after the clock substitution or at the game resumption if there is no clock substitution. Under this rules, the player is not allowed to think on the offer before the clock substitution.

In my inbox, I have 50% of IA in favour of forcing the player to accept or refuse the draw rapidly and 50% in favour of doing the thing the USCF way, which is to substitute the clock without waiting for the opponent's acceptance. The number of answers is not statistically significant.

Congratulation Tony! You did find a flaw in the Law of Chess. The person in charge of rewriting this article for the 2017 Laws of Chess has been notified (not by me). He believes that this is not an urgent matter. This means that we are struck with this wording until July 1st 2017.

To Hall Bond, why is Canada not represented in the Rules and Tournament Regulations Committee?

Comment

Hi Pierre - Canada is not represented on the Rules and Tourney Regs because no one has applied. I have attended a number of their meetings and find them insufferable. I serve as Councillor on the Development Commission, and stepped aside on the Arbiters' Commission for Aris who is now the esteemed Secretary of it. At the most recent Congress in Abu Dhabi I attended the Medical Commission meeting which conflicted with Rules because I had a recommendation for them which I expect will be adopted.

Comment

Hi Hal - I have been told by a former FIDE REP that it would be worthwhile to send to the Rules and Tournament Regulations Committee a complimentary copy of Robert's Rules of Order. Actually, most Quebecker are aware only of Morin's Code https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morin_code . Which Rules of Order are followed is not the most critical success factor.

I volunteer anyway. By its nature, this committee write the rules before the GA, which means a lot of work at home which I can do.

Comment

Working...
          X