Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: minimum games?

Originally posted by James Tan View Post
    As a chess fan in Canada. I would hope to see Canada sends the strongest 5 players. The simple method (less controversial), in my opinion would be only based on rating (for players who meet the number of games played requirement).

Based on the above, the 2016 Olympics Team would then be:
    1. GM E.Bareev 2675--2708--2691.5
    2. GM A.Kovalyov 2623--2653--2638
    3. GM E.Hansen 2586--2648--2617
    4. GM B.Sambuev 2546--2666-2606.
    5. GM K.Spraggett 2543--2618--2580.5.

If any of the above players decline invitation due to any reasons, the invitation moves on the the next in line, also by rating:
    6. IM R.Preotu 2468--2647--2557.5
    7. GM A.LeSiege 2528--2577--2552.5
    8. IM N.Noritsyn 2466--2601--2533.5
    9. IM A.Hambleton 2450--2606--2528

Forget the Canadian Champion, forget the Selection Committee, just send TOP PLAYERS !!
    Would Kevin Spraggett meet the requirement of X CFC rated games in the last few years??

Serious question. At what point do you move on if the guy left the country and doesn't play there anymore?

Otherwise, I agree with you on the principle. Set a few objective criteria and select the best, period. Anything else is gonna lead to failure in one way or another.

Comment

Re: Canada welcomes GM Evgeny Bareev

James wrote:

Would Kevin Spraggett meet the requirement of X CFC rated games in the last few years??
      You can request that your foreign games be CFC rated - in advance, and for a fee. Unless he has done that, he's out of luck. From the Handbook:

"A Canadian may have a foreign FIDE-rated tournament count for their CFC rating by sending a letter to that effect in advance to the CFC. (And include $25 in advance with the letter sent to the CFC office. The letter should be received by the CFC office not less than 1 month before the start of the event, and include the $25 flat rating fee. - CFC Office policy effective December 1st, 2003) The CFC will rate the event only to the extent that FIDE does. Results must be reported within one month after the tournament is completed. Failure to submit a crosstable after registering an event bars the player from registering a tournament participation for three years. [see Motion 78-15; GL, April 1978, p. 39]"

James wrote:

Serious question. At what point do you move on if the guy left the country and doesn't play there anymore?
      I would say - as long he's a Canadian citizen, and FIDE has him as Canadian - it shouldn't matter where he lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post

Otherwise, I agree with you on the principle. Set a few objective criteria and select the best, period. Anything else is gonna lead to failure in one way or another.
        Hi Mathieu:

I may be out of date on this, but when I was a voting member, we allowed games that were FIDE-rated to count, just like CFC games. I believe this is why some "Non-Canada active" players, each year make the list. Someone can update me if the regulation has gone back to only CFC-rated games counting.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Hi Mathieu:

I may be out of date on this, but when I was a voting member, we allowed games that were FIDE-rated to count, just like CFC games. I believe this is why some "Non-Canada active" players, each year make the list. Someone can update me if the regulation has gone back to only CFC-rated games counting.

Bob A
          Hi Hugh:

Just saw your post from the current CFC Handbook that now foreign FIDE-rated games only count if there is advance notice/payment to CFC. Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Hugh:

Just saw your post from the current CFC Handbook that now foreign FIDE-rated games only count if there is advance notice/payment to CFC. Thanks.

Bob A
            That is incorrect. Foreign FIDE rated games count the same as CFC games for the game count.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              That is incorrect. Foreign FIDE rated games count the same as CFC games for the game count.
              Hi Vlad:

Thanks for the clarification.....seems I'm not yet beyond my expiry date! :)

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                James wrote:

You can request that your foreign games be CFC rated - in advance, and for a fee. Unless he has done that, he's out of luck. From the Handbook:

"A Canadian may have a foreign FIDE-rated tournament count for their CFC rating by sending a letter to that effect in advance to the CFC. (And include $25 in advance with the letter sent to the CFC office. The letter should be received by the CFC office not less than 1 month before the start of the event, and include the $25 flat rating fee. - CFC Office policy effective December 1st, 2003) The CFC will rate the event only to the extent that FIDE does. Results must be reported within one month after the tournament is completed. Failure to submit a crosstable after registering an event bars the player from registering a tournament participation for three years. [see Motion 78-15; GL, April 1978, p. 39]"

James wrote:

I would say - as long he's a Canadian citizen, and FIDE has him as Canadian - it shouldn't matter where he lives.
                Hi Hugh:

Vlad Drkulec in another post in this thread has said, if I understand him, that it is one thing for a player to get his foreign games CFC-rated - that is the section you quote.

BUT, for the purposes of eligibility for the Olympiad team, a foreign FIDE-rated game counts exactly the same as a CFC-rated game. This is why players not active in Canada year after year make the list and have the required number of games.

It seems to me Ct'ers are somewhat divided between 2 positions:

1. To be on the Olympiad team, a player must show a clear "Canadian playing track record" (Not just be a Canadian active abroad). But at the moment, of the games currently required by the regulation, there is NO minimum no. of games in Canada that must be played. All games can come from outside Canada. So those holding this position need to bring a legal amendment before the Voting Members' meeting, to try to impose some minimum "Canadian game content".

2. If a player is Canadian, and plays the required no. of games (FIDE-rated), all outside Canada, then he is eligible (The only Canadian content needed is that the player be Canadian). This side has the floor at the moment.

Personally, I do find the picture possible a bit odd......Canada could have 5 Canadians on the team, all living outside Canada, and having no connection at all with the Canadian chess-playing scene (Never come to Canada to play in a tournament). Yes, it may be the way to get the best onto the team, to put winning as the first and only priority.

But if these players can "use" the Canadian flag at their table, should we not ask that they also contribute something in return to the local Canadian chess scene, by at least doing something in chess in Canada?

Is this letting emotional drivel over-ride "Patriotism (Canada must have the best, and win)"?

Bob A
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 29th May, 2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                  From Mavros Whissell post. "And Kovalyov, seriously? I don't think he should be on the team at all. He barely plays in Canada and would probably switch teams at the drop of the hat if it suited his purposes. If you want to put Alexandre in, replace Kovalyov with him."

It's not the first time (probably also not the last one) I read here very negative posts about Anton. Definitely, he didn't deserve this kind of attitude. It's not his fault that he was not burn here but immigrated twice with his family from Ukraine to Argentina and from Argentina to Canada.

It's not his fault that his transfer from Argentinian federation to CFC was very slow. You know, it's not easy to transfer 2600+ active GM. It was much faster with E.Bareev because of his resent inactivity.

It's not Anton's fault that he currently spends more time in USA as a student. Canadian universities don't provide any support for chess players.

It's not his fault that he doesn't play a lot in Canada. Where should he play? In Canadian Open with just 2 registered GMs with average rating around 2500? In Quebec Open with 8-round event and no norm opportunities? In Canadian Closed last year? But he qualified to World Cup on Pan-American championship (and he performed there really well, he passed 2700 and 2600+ players and lost only to Caruana in 3 round).

Anton's performance in Norway was close to 2700, I don't remember any other Canadian with such a strong result. He played all 11 games, lost only once, drew with Nakamura, Gelfand and Adams. What else do you need?
                  Chesstalk is not representative of the opinion of most Canadian chessplayers. The chesstalk culture is to tear people down whether they deserve it or not. Envy, insanity and the very worst of what people are is often on display here. It probably won't change any time soon. I often think about heeding the advice of the many people who suggest that I shouldn't be posting here.

Anton is knocking on the door of the world chess elite. I don't see the point of chesstalk posters criticizing him for taking the steps required to make this a reality.

Comment

Chesstalk is not representative of the opinion of most Canadian chessplayers. The chesstalk culture is to tear people down whether they deserve it or not. Envy, insanity and the very worst of what people are is often on display here. It probably won't change any time soon. I often think about heeding the advice of the many people who suggest that I shouldn't be posting here.

Anton is knocking on the door of the world chess elite. I don't see the point of chesstalk posters criticizing him for taking the steps required to make this a reality.
                    Wishing Anton good skill and good luck in the Americas Continental Championship starting tomorrow. I believe he is fourth-ranked. And four World Cup slots are up for grabs to the top finishers. Go get one of them Anton!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Whether this or that player is considered by onlookers to be «québécois» or not that much is clearly irrelevant here and certainly played no part at all.
                      In a heated and controversial thread, you can always rely on IM Hebert to bring the comic relief.

Comment

As a voting member, I would oppose any motion that attempts to change the current activity rules to require some minimum "Canadian Content" rules. If the player is a Canadian Citizen, and he meets activity requirements to play by playing FIDE rated games, then he should be allowed to play.

As an example, suppose So or Nakamura had become a Canadian Citizen. Would we seriously tell them "Sorry, but you failed to play two tournaments in Canada, so you are not on the team"? If Eric Hansen had decided to stay in Europe to play in elite league chess and higher rated elite tournaments because that was how he could earn a living, would we say "Sorry, but you are not doing enough to promote chess in Canada"?

It makes much more sense to cheer for their international success than feel snubbed because they didn't play in in Canada.

Comment

Well, if FIDE rated games count regardless of the location, so be it.

I'd still give a little more weight to local games. Like, if a local GM is rated a notch below the long time expat GM Spraggett, I'd give the nod to the local. Just because he's contributing to chess in Canada right now.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                            In a heated and controversial thread, you can always rely on IM Hebert to bring the comic relief.
                            If it is so heated and controversial maybe you should let it go and refrain from interfering ? If it hadn't come from such a little man acting as if he owned this message board, I might have taken it for a try at intimidating.
                            But that would really be funny. Wouldn't it ?

Comment

"If it hadn't come from such a little man acting as if he owned this message board, I might have taken it for a try at intimidating."

Fantastic! You can't make these things up.......LOL!
                              Fred Harvey

Comment

Salut Jean!

Help me through this whole mess, you want the CFC to field the strongest team possible without playing politics?

In other words, with playing politics CFC has a weaker team?

And BTW, let me take this opportunity to express my sorrow and perhaps more to the point my anger, that Quebec has been f'k over for so so long. And having said that I think it would be foolish for Canada to send a weak team rather than a strong team. To me it's all about results.

Even if all the players come from Nunavut!

Oh but wait...

Chess Federation of Canada's ongoing lack of vision and pathetic understanding of organized chess in Canada is not reserved just for Quebec.
                                Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 30th May, 2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X