Millionaire Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Millionaire Chess

There was quite a discussion about draws at the Istanbul Congress in 2012. Nigel Short spoke in favour of stalemate = loss. I do like the diplomatic immunity that a King currently enjoys. The matter of the short repetition claim was acknowledged but not discussed much.

Your idea is interesting David - the draw stands but it means elimination. The laws of chess are upheld, the game is rated, and the players cannot continue. It's published and all players sign off before round 1.

Comment

Hi Hal,

How come this event had so many forfeits? I understand that people signed up but didn't actually show up for round one and were still paired. That's bad, as it makes getting norms impossible. But I was more interested in some of the other ones. Did this many people miss the 30-minute grace period?
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        Hi Hal,

How come this event had so many forfeits? I understand that people signed up but didn't actually show up for round one and were still paired. That's bad, as it makes getting norms impossible. But I was more interested in some of the other ones. Did this many people miss the 30-minute grace period?
        What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas:-)

Comment

One of the "correct" answers during the elimination game (to see who would choose a square to try and win a million) was incorrect.

The sequence was 9, 729, 8, ____ , 7, 343. After neither of the contestants got it in 10 seconds, the answer was revealed to be 528.

8^3 is not 528. It's 512.

Seems like the kind of thing you might want to double check when potentially giving away a million dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
            One of the "correct" answers during the elimination game (to see who would choose a square to try and win a million) was incorrect.

The sequence was 9, 729, 8, ____ , 7, 343. After neither of the contestants got it in 10 seconds, the answer was revealed to be 528.

8^3 is not 528. It's 512.

Seems like the kind of thing you might want to double check when potentially giving away a million dollars.
            Must be rounding error... :)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hey Tom - Aris was the Chief of the top section and he mentioned that he had to forfeit Kamsky. I don't know about the others. It's a shame that norms were affected by some no-shows.

Did you follow the broadcast? I know the commentators were supposed to ham it up a little but I must admit I prefer the coverage at the World Rapid and Blitz.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                Hey Tom - Aris was the Chief of the top section and he mentioned that he had to forfeit Kamsky. I don't know about the others. It's a shame that norms were affected by some no-shows.

Did you follow the broadcast? I know the commentators were supposed to ham it up a little but I must admit I prefer the coverage at the World Rapid and Blitz.
                I watched a little myself and saw an interview with a Ukrainian woman (Can't remember her name but she was in the top event) who was forfeited because she arrived an hour late thinking that the start time was an hour later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

I did watch quite a bit of the playoff broadcasting. I'm generally not a huge fan of many of the broadcasters on the US feeds. I do like Yasser (at the US Championships, for example) and Hess seems good if a bit too energetic for my liking.

I prefer combos like Gustafsson and Svidler, so yes I prefer the World Rapid and Blitz commentary.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

David Smerdon has some apposite commentary re "Nakamura and McShane's big mistake" on his blog.

http://www.davidsmerdon.com/

Tangentially, I'm much amused by Smerdon's annotations in his 14-move Portuguese Scandinavian win vs GM Dennis De Vreugt. To wit, I love his comment that White will have difficulty in equalizing in the main line after 5.f3 (:

Comment

Working...
                    X