Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putt8ing up with an irritating kid

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Wow, everyone is quick to excuse the kids behaviour.
    John, I'm with you. I find this irritating as well.
    Again, point to us what rule is the kid infringing? The fact that it irritates you isn't covered anywhere in the chess rulebook.

Comment

This thread brought to you by the ppl wondering why the CFC is dying.

The kid is doing absolutely nothing wrong, and you are an old man shaking your first at a cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
        Again, point to us what rule is the kid infringing? The fact that it irritates you isn't covered anywhere in the chess rulebook.
        I did not claim that it was against the rules, only that this behaviour is irritating.
        However, rule 11.5 does states: It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever.

Nobody is trying to outlaw getting up and moving about the room between moves, everyone does it. Especially us old men should stretch our legs. But if the kid is in perpetual motion 95% of the game, he probably is distracting to other players as well.

I recall a recent case where a young lad was running about the playing hall constantly during and after his game. He was distracting not just to his opponent, but to numerous other players. Most were simply amused. At some point (at the TD's discretion), it does becomes a rule infraction.
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 28th September, 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          This thread brought to you by the ppl wondering why the CFC is dying.

The kid is doing absolutely nothing wrong, and you are an old man shaking your first at a cloud.

ppl?
          shaking my first what?

old man? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZaUwG50zI

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            One of the local kids - about 8 years old - is very irritating to play. He hardly sits at the board at all, and when it is his turn to move, he moves almost instantly, and then wanders off. There is nothing to complain to the TD about - the kid acts as if the position on the board is not worth spending any time on.

His parents have tried to persuade him to stay seated at the board, but then he watches neighbouring games, or doodles, or stares around the room. I personally find this disdainful behaviour somewhat insulting, but it doesn't really bother me. A couple of other adults have said they will refuse to play the kid - he's rated about 900.

Is it possible to change his condescending attitude, or do we just have to wait till he grows up a bit.

Edit: don't know where the random 8 in the title came from. Fat fingers?
            Do not make a move and press his clock without his knowledge and tell him that he forgot to stop his clock when he comes back or make two moves in each of your turn, who knows he could not memorize the position on the board. This is "no brainer"! as Bob G. fondly calls. The kid knows that you are an old dude who can not respond that quick that's why he left you every time because he does not want to baby sit you instead of you doing that to him.

Comment

When I was the youngest player at the RA chess club back in 1960 at the ripe old age of 16, I used to move very quickly then stroll around, not to distract my opponent but because I was trying to keep my own focus. In one event, I was playing the TD, a crusty old guy who smoked a filthy pipe. At one point he bellowed at me, "Stop stalling and play your move!" At that point the club champion wandered by, took a look at the clock and laughed out loud. He pointed out that I had taken less than five minutes to my opponents 1 hour plus (we played longer time controls in those days). He didn't need to add that I had much the better position. I returned and dispatched the old goat a few moves later.
              So long as one does not leave the tournament room, there is absolutely no prohibition on leaving the board when it is your opponent's turn to move. Indeed, up to the level of the world championship it often the case that one or sometimes both seats are vacant.
              Give yourself and the kid a break. If he simply suffers from ADD he will soon disappear from the scene. Otherwise, as he advances from his current rating he will find more to attract his attention.

Comment

This is hugely appropriate...

http://www.chess.com/news/svidler-qu...cup-final-1288

Watch the video interview... from about 6:30 to 7:00... Svidler talks about getting up from the board all the time.

:)

Comment

From another viewpoint:

One of the local elders - about 80 years old - is very irritating to play. He hardly gets up from the board at all, and when it is his turn to move, he takes forever to move, blunders, then blames it on the faster time controls, “when I was younger, we had time to play a proper game, not like now". There is nothing to complain to the TD about - the old cogger acts as if the position on the board is worth spending an infinite amount of time on.

Not directed at anyone in particular.
                  Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 28th September, 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Oh, right.

Comment

ppl?
                      shaking my first what?

Not directed at anyone in particular. but let's hear it for the old "codgers"!
                      Fred Harvey

Comment

Re : Re: Putt8ing up with an irritating kid

I remember about 10-11 years ago i was playing a kid about 9-10 years old he was already 1700 i was 1800 after my time pressure ( no incrementation at this time) it was a sunday morning round 4 game of a week-enmd tournament ...his mother bring to his son a happy pack from Burger King (a burger a fries and a Coke and maybe a toy :) and he open up the bag and eat it in front of me at the board ...i finally lost that game and go to eat at ...Burger King too ...before round 5 .

Comment

From another viewpoint:

One of the local elders - about 80 years old - is very irritating to play. He hardly gets up from the board at all, and when it is his turn to move, he takes forever to move, blunders, then blames it on the faster time controls, “when I was younger, we had time to play a proper game, not like now". There is nothing to complain to the TD about - the old cogger acts as if the position on the board is worth spending an infinite amount of time on.

lol ... I am not quite 80 (I just feel like it) but I *do* hate "tournaments" without increments... I don't want an infinite amount of time, just "a little bit more" ...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

From another viewpoint:

Good one! I have a few examples in mind, but I won't name names.

Remember the 'old' time control of 2h/40 + 1h/SD? Damn that was painful at times. One thing that happened to me quite a few times, and yes it was usually against old guys:

The guy blunders on move 35, with 30 minutes to make it to move 40. Yes, he's gonna take 6 minutes per move and get to the time control with seconds lefts. Then... it could be anything, but the guy will take all of that extra hour to postpone mate as much as possible. Even if he's playing a rook down with 0 counterplay and no chance for stalemate.

I once had to wait 50 minutes because it was mate in 1 and the guy wouldn't play.

None of that is against the rules, but it's a clear lack of respect towards the game and the opponent.

The increments alleviate that problem a lot. Because if you don't play, you don't get any extra time. So you can't just sit on a big time reserve anymore.
                            Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Monday, 28th September, 2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I agree with Tom O'Donnell. We both play lots of games like this against the best kids at chess camps. We try to get them to slow down, stay at the board and concentrate, but if they don't they don't. As far as the doodling goes, as Tom suggests, it could be considered as note taking and this I would protest. As for the rest, it is highly unlikely that the kid is being deliberately disrespectful, he is just a kid and is he acting like one. Try not to be annoyed or distracted.

Comment

Working...
                              X