Sambuev - Hansen match OR .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sambuev - Hansen match OR .........

Total silence after the initial offer of a $10,000-plus purse for the thrash talking duo.
    ......but if the money were still available, how about a quad double round-robin with Canada's top four rated players (all over 2600 CFC).

1 Bareev, Evgeny, Toronto, ON 2708
    2 Hansen, Eric, Calgary, AB 2637
    3 Sambuev, Bator, Montreal, QC 2616
    4 Preotu, Razvan, Burlington, ON 2607

Would that be of interest to Canadian chess players? :)
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Monday, 28th September, 2015, 10:10 AM.

Re: Sambuev - Hansen match OR .........

An interesting question is which field is more difficult for the top seed to win or tie for first:

a) Single Round Robin with 2700 and three 2600s
    b) Single Round Robin with 2700, 2600 and two 1800s

It feels like it might be the former as it provides more margin for error. However, when single round robin changes to double round robin, then the latter becomes "more easier" to win for the top seed.

The analysis seems pretty straightforward but timing-consuming to do. Is any chesstalker interesting in taking this on?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
      An interesting question is which field is more difficult for the top seed to win or tie for first:

a) Single Round Robin with 2700 and three 2600s
      b) Single Round Robin with 2700, 2600 and two 1800s

It feels like it might be the former as it provides more margin for error. However, when single round robin changes to double round robin, then the latter becomes "more easier" to win for the top seed.

The analysis seems pretty straightforward but timing-consuming to do. Is any chesstalker interesting in taking this on?
      What's your point? Doesn't seem to have much to do with this thread. Or are you just practicing your trolling technique?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        What's your point? Doesn't seem to have much to do with this thread. Or are you just practicing your trolling technique?
        Hi Vlad,

You were asking about how people feel about your proposed quad, and I suggested that we evaluate how competitive it might be. A chess artist may get enjoyment out of watching games between top players, but a chess sports fan also gets excited about following a competitive tournament. I am just trying to figure out how excited I should get about the proposed quad :)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Total silence after the initial offer of a $10,000-plus purse for the thrash talking duo.
          ......but if the money were still available, how about a quad double round-robin with Canada's top four rated players (all over 2600 CFC).

1 Bareev, Evgeny, Toronto, ON 2708
          2 Hansen, Eric, Calgary, AB 2637
          3 Sambuev, Bator, Montreal, QC 2616
          4 Preotu, Razvan, Burlington, ON 2607

Would that be of interest to Canadian chess players? :)
          What about Anton Kovalyov?
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
            Hi Vlad,

You were asking about how people feel about your proposed quad, and I suggested that we evaluate how competitive it might be. A chess artist may get enjoyment out of watching games between top players, but a chess sports fan also gets excited about following a competitive tournament. I am just trying to figure out how excited I should get about the proposed quad :)
            So what would be the competitive aspect of two 1800 players playing against two grandmasters? And why would anyone sponsor such an event - perhaps two 1800 players with more money than brains would each kick in $5,000 in order to make fools of themselves. And where would you find two such people - usually people with lots of money didn't get it by being fools.

The reason I'm suggesting that you are trolling is because this double quad which I suggest has some chance of being reality as the money was already pledged for a Sambuev - Hansen match. And serious ideas are often derailed on ChessTalk by people who make fatuous comments causing anyone with a serious interest to go elsewhere.

But ChessTalk is replete with people who will avidly join in some silly dialog and so you would do everyone a favour by starting a separate thread - you will get a very active response, I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              What about Anton Kovalyov?
              You're right, Anton Kovalyov would be the logical fourth, but I was going by the current CFC rating list and I understand he is currently away at a school in Texas.
              Also, in Ontario there is a great deal of interest in the prospects of young Razvan Preotu and I suspect his inclusion would be more attractive to sponsors. And of course sponsors would have the final say in who gets invited.

Comment

I dunno, seems to me that someone that went 3 rounds in the recent World Cup is an easier sell to potential sponsers. No slight to Razvan, but we seem to consistently undersell Anton on this board. I don't understand why.

It would be easy to schedule this event around (for instance) university reading week. Eric has been hanging out in Montreal recently, so the logistics to have said tournament in Montreal would be relatively simple.

Comment

If anyone REALLY wants to put together the ultimate interesting Canadian chess event, for some serious money, how about also inviting GM Kevin Spraggett!!?? :)

GM Spraggett, the most successful Canadian player of all time, has NOT played an event in Canada since the 2004 Canadian Zonal in Toronto, the one with the 'funny' 8th round pairings.

If GM Spraggett were to take part, it would be a match of the generations!! I'd love to see it!!

Comment

Garland B, Frank D,
                    You want to see the players of your choice ? It's easy. Just line up the sponsors - and you're there!
                    Please feel free to pursue this idea. I do not claim ownership of the concept.
                    And if there are sponsors out there who would like to support either of the above concepts I'm sure you can find a way to contact any of the above (P.M. by way of ChessTalk). And you know my preference so if that would appeal to you, you can email me >>>>vladdobrich(at)gmail(dot)com

Comment

Working...
                    X