More old Canadian publications - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More old Canadian publications - questions

I have found more Canadian publications during my "fall cleaning". :-)

(1) "The Open File": July/91 v1 n1; Sept/91 v1 n2.
    This is subtitled as "Chess News & Views from Eastern Ontario". Both are 3 double-sided pages stapled together. Editor was Robert N. Webb of Smiths Falls. Did this survive more than two issues?

(2) "Report on the Federation Internationale des Echecs 1952 International Chess Tournament at Saltzjobaden, Sweden, and the FIDE Fund designed to cover the Expenses of the Canadian Representative".
    Published by D.A. MacAdam (living in Montreal at the time), FIDE Fund Treasurer. There are three pages of ads - mostly chess-related, or New Brunswick businesses.
    At the top of the first page is written "Canadian Chess Chat", but I'm not sure if this was an actual issue of CCC. Paul Vaitonis was the Canadian rep.
    An appeal is being made ("without delay") for the $200 fare - by ship - to send Vaitonis to Sweden. The next page mentions that for an extra $200, he could go by air, and reservations were made. On this next page - dated July 10 - it mentions that the flights were scheduled for Sept. 12 and Oct. 18, 1952.

"Use the addressed envelope enclosed for your convenience - TEN DAYS is the time limit!".

There are periodic updates of the donors - with name, city, and amount. For example - Phil Haley of Sarnia gave $5. Eventually - $912.55 was collected. What was done with the excess? Was this the start of the Chess Foundation, maybe?

There is a typewritten collection of all the games Vaitonis played at the event. (he finished with 5/20 in 19th place out of 21 players).

Re: More old Canadian publications - questions

More old Canadian publications – questions

October 1, 2015

I have recently got several of the early years of Canadian Chess Chat (1952-1954 incl) to add my collection of that journal 1957-1984). The first twenty years in particular contain a wealth of material on Canadian chess for the historian. I am working to make the issues available before they disappear through not being archived at a public institution.

The FIDE FUND APPEAL is in the CCC for June-July, 1952. My guess is that they printed up a separate sheet, with envelope and enclosed it in each June-July issue. I don’t have it, but Page 2 contains much of the material.

Because it is of historical interest, I’ll give quotes which follow the story over the next two days or so.

So, from Page 9:

Vaitonis For Saltzjobaden

Many have asked, “Why has Canada only one Chess Master?” The answer is that Canadian Players have not had an opportunity to take part in International (or FIDE) Tournaments, where their achievements would entitle them to such a rating. To date, Yanofsky is the only one who has been so favoured.

In sending Vaitonis to Saltzjobaden, we give him the opportunity to garner laurels for himself and for Canada.

At the FIDE annual meeting in Paris, 1951, R. Wade presented a ‘Notice of Motion’ which will be made at the coming 1952 meeting, Sept. 6-13, Stockholm. This motion is to the effect that Canada should lose its rating as a “Zone” in the international field and Western Latin countries and all be known as the North American Zone. If we do not take part in International Tournaments, upon what grounds can we base arguments against the motion to ‘demote’ Canada?

In sending Vaitonis to Saltzjobaden, we are strengthening the position of Canada in the FIDE, and in the eyes of the chess world, and are improving our chances of successfully combating the above motion.

One of the arguments in favor of the motion to ‘reduce Canada’ to the ranks again, will be the low rating (comparatively) of our players. Now it is a well-known axiom that play against superior players improves one’s skill.

In sending Vaitonis to Saltzjobaden, we provide one of our leading players, our champion, the opportunity to improve his skill at chess, and, upon his return, to gradually impart the skill and knowledge acquired through his experiences abroad, to other top-ranking Canadian players.

Vaitonis is willing and ready to go. He is training and practicing for this venture among the chess giants of the world. He already has an enviable record. He writes: “I wish to give you, for your information, the following results against the players, qualified for the Interzonal Tournament, in previous meetings:”

Vaitonis vs. Keres (Estonia) 0-1
    Vaitonis vs. Najdorf (Argentina) 1/2-1 1/2
    Vaitonis vs. Szabo (Hungary) 1 1/2-1/2
    Vaitonis vs. Stoltz (Sweden) 1/2-1 1/2
    Vaitonis vs. Prins (Holland) 1-0
    Vaitonis vs. Bolbochan (Argentina) 1/2-1/2

He has proven himself to be worthy of our confidence and support. We cannot let him down.

But his GOING depends upon your action now. For the sake of Canadian honor and prestige, we urge you to send in your contribution to the FIDE FUND at once. We have only two weeks in which to complete arrangements! Please remit today. Send cash, cheque or money-order to D.A. MacAdam, Apt. #5, 2084 Decarie Blvd., Montreal 28, Que. – addressed envelope herewith for your convenience. Donations to be acknowledged in CHESS CHAT.
    _______

I’ll follow this story to the end in my next two postings.

Comment

More Old Canadian Publications 2

Vaitonis in Saltzjobaden (continued)

From Canadian Chess Chat, November 1952

$879 was subscribed for the FIDE FUND. Expenses were $912. The Canadian Federation covered the travel expenses while the Swedish Federation furnished quarters and meals to all participants from outside for the duration of the tournament.

He had practice matches with J. Noel Williams, the Montreal Champion and with Toronto Champion, Frank R. Anderson. He also gave a 13-board simul in Montreal on August 31, giving up two losses to Ignace Zalys and J. Noel Williams and a draw to Alex Garelick.
      _______

Hamilton, October 27, 1952

Dear Mr. MacAdam,

Enclosed you will find four games from the Saltzjobaden Tournament..for the December issue, I shall be able to furnish more interesting games with some of them annotated. Also, if you wish, a survey of openings that were played repeatedly at Saltzjobaden, and some new variations.

Kotov’s victory was already assured before the last round commenced. Grandmaster titles, on the results of this tournament were given to Taimanov, Petrosian and Averbach. To the finals (the Candidates’ Tournament), which most likely will be played in Switzerland this coming spring, go Kotov, Petrosian, Taimanov, Geller and Averbach. (With the same number of points as the last named were Szabo, Stahlberg and Gligoric, but Averbach was top-side on S.B. rating. Possibly the FIDE will decide to let them all play in the finals.)

To all participants in this tournament was accorded the title of International Chess Master.

My play in the tournament was terrible. As a bad excuse I could mention that I was too greatly exhausted before the tournament started. Anyhow, in view of the magnificent support given to me by all Canadian chess players, I feel desperate.

With many thanks to everybody,

Yours very sincerely

Paul Vaitonis
      ______

Note: We disagree with our Champion. He has no need for excuses. Of course his condition to start with and the fact he encountered 4 or 5 diamond-hard professionals to begin with, you’ll admit was discouraging and demoralizing. It is doubtful that any other Canadian player would have done better in such tough company. But we will give you the word of an expert on this, which we feel expresses the sentiment of the Canadian fraternity, from coast to coast:

Fort Garry, Manitoba
      October 24, 1952

Dear Mac,

I only had one game by Vaitonis, from Saltzjobaden, and therefore did not put it in (Dr. Divinsky furnishes the GAMES SECTION of CHESS CHAT in stencil form, and a very good job he makes of it, too!) wanting to keep them all together.

The last I heard, he had 5-14 and an adjourned game with Stahlberg. I feel this is very respectable, and that he has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, I think he did very well! After all, the 5 Russians are professionals in every sense of the word, whereas Szabo, Stahlberg, Gligoric, Unzicker & Eliskases are of the very best also!..

Regards,

Dr. N.J. Divinsky
      ______

From Wikipedia: Povilas (Paul) Vaitonis (15 August 1911, in Užpaliai, Lithuania – 23 April 1983, in Hamilton, Canada) was a Lithuanian–Canadian International Master of chess. He was a five-time Lithuanian champion, and was twice Canadian champion. Vaitonis was inducted into the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame on July 9, 2011 in Toronto.

(To be concluded)

Comment

More Old Canadian Publications 3

Vaitonis in Saltzjobaden (concluded)

From Canadian Chess Chat, November & December 1952

There are statements in these two issues, generally against R. G. Wade for suggesting FIDE take away Canada’s Zonal status. Also, Wade says that we will offend the Soviet Union by nominating Dr. Bohatyrchuk for the title of International Master and talks of Canadians having to decide whether to split the FIDE without probable gain of principle.

Putting that aside, Saltzjobaden was reported:

Saltzjobaden is an attractive pleasure resort, situated on the famous Stockholm archipelago only twenty minutes from the centre of the Swedish capital. Piercing the scenery’s foliage, the twin cupolas of graceful Grand Hotel catch the eye across the spread of sparkling wavelets, veiling the harbour depths.

The hotel accommodations are ideal: - surroundings, rooms, conditions, services – all promote mental calm, comfortable discussion and the peaceful play. No effort has been spared by the Swedish Chess Federation in the welcome and care of their guests from every corner of the globe. For six weeks the tournament has been in progress.

There are 21 players. Vaitonis’s results in the first ten rounds:

Round 1 Petrosian-Vaitonis 1-0
        Round 2 Vaitonis-Geller 0-1
        Round 3 Szabo-Vaitonis 1-0
        Round 4 Vaitonis-Kotov 0-1
        Round 5 Taimanov-Vaitonis 1/2-1/2
        Round 6 Vaitonis-Steiner 1/2-1/2
        Round 7 Eliskases-Vaitonis 1-0
        Round 8 Vaitonis-Stoltz 0-1
        Round 9 Vaitonis bye
        Round 10 Barcza-Vaitonis 0-1

In case you are wondering, he drew with R.G.Wade in Round 17 and ended up with a score of 5/20. Kotov won with 16.5 of 20 and no losses and was followed by Petrosian, Taimanov, Geller, Averbach and Stahlberg.

Two notes in CCC that foreshadow Bobby Fischer’s experience with the Soviet players later:

The five top men, the Soviet Contingent, take part in the Candidates Tournament to be held in Zurich, Switzerland, next year, to decide a challenger. One observant fan remarked the evident uniformity of strength of the Soviet entry, pointing out that all ten games between them were drawn. “Twould be a good idea to give 1/3 point in all Prima Donna tournaments for a draw!!”

It is of interest to note that the 10 games played by the five Russian masters among themselves all ended in draws and were of the following lengths: 21, 18, 20, 50, 21, 16, 16,19,23 and 18 moves. An average of only 22.2 moves per game. We do not contend that they do not deserve the top prizes, but we do feel that these “rest periods” are an unnecessary advantage and are simply cases of poor sportsmanship. Can the FIDE do anything (legally) about this??
        ______

Our Canadian Champion, Paul Vaitonis, played 20 games, 885 moves, thus averaging 44.2 moves per game.
        With the white pieces he opened with 10 queen pawn openings and was met with 5 King’s Indian, 2 Queen’s Indian, 2 Orthodox Defences and 1 QGA.

With the black pieces he defended against 6 queen pawn openings with 5 Orthodox and 1 King’s Indian Defences.

He defended against 4 king pawn openings with 3 Sicilians and 1 Caro Kann.
        ________

WK – Reading all of this 63 years after the fact, I have a great deal of compassion for Paul. Money was raised by donation in poor economic times after the war. He had to go alone to Sweden with no support like the Soviets for a tournament lasting six weeks. He had the burden of protecting our zonal status and of getting a good enough result to show Canada was worthy.

The interzonal system was changed in 1972 and 1982 and the last one was in Biel, 1993, won by Boris Gelfand.

Comment

Working...
        X