Candidates, World Title Match in the United States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidates, World Title Match in the United States?

Candidates, World Title Match in the United States?

October 4, 2015

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov is in Baku for the final of the World Cup and at an interview hinted that the Candidates and World Championship Match may be held in the United States.

There are three cautions here:

1) I have translated the relevant parts of his interview but I may have misinterpreted some of them. If your Russian is strong go to:

http://chess-news.ru/node/20199

2) Kirsan has made promises before that were optimistic and never saw fruition

3) He may be just getting other places, such as Russia and Azerbaijan, to up the ante to hold the matches in their countries.

But, it would be great to have the matches held in Chicago (say) where many Canadians could attend!
    ________

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: two weeks ago I was on a visit to the United States of America, in New York, met with potential sponsors of the match for the world title, which will be held next year. The exact time and venue is October 2016 onwards in the United States of America. And once we passed the information on that we're going to hold a match in the United States, there has been a lot of proposals. I met with five or six sponsors, already several cities offered their services on the venue of the match - New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, that is all very good.

E. Surov: You have a wide selection in front of you!

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: Yes, and now we think we may even do a dual proposal. I told them at a meeting that maybe we will give two events to the United States. The first is the candidates tournament which will be held in March, as a "warm up". That is, let's say, eight top players will play in New York, and the world will take place in Los Angeles or Chicago. I was in Chicago, in which chess is very popular. So, I think, in the near future we will solve something.

The United States is a great fit in terms of promotion of chess, their PR, because we haven't conducted tournaments in America recently; the last time we conducted the World Cup knock-out back in 1999, in Las Vegas, where Alexander Khalifman became world champion. So America has missed great chess. Whether the world will be held in the States is not yet debated, but the candidate tournament can go there or maybe not, 50 to 50.

Because, now the contender tournament doesn't include many of their leading chess players. And we have a rule: eighth place in the tournament is given to a player selected by the hosting country. Countries, whose representatives are the strongest chess players (say, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and others), now also have the chance to apply.

E. Surov: and who are these potential sponsors in the United States? You can call them?

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: They are working with our company, the representative of which is now Ilya Merenzon. He constantly flies there. By the way, some of the sponsors are coming October 9 to Berlin, where we will hold the world blitz and rapid chess championship. Of course, there are all the categories, the representatives of the United States will also fly there to look at it. But now I can not give you specific names because we haven't signed contracts. More negotiations on the amount and on the venue. So, choosing the place, will solve sponsor.
    _______

WK – Note - Ilya Merenzon’s company Agon was the organizer of the 2014 World Championship between Anand and Carlsen.

An article in chess.com said this about Merenzon:

He is from Russia, but his accent (or rather, lack of) suggests that he has lived in the U.S. as well. “I studies economics in New York, where I lived for 15 years,” confirms Merenzon, who is a new name in the chess world but in fact has been around for a while. He knows FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, and he has worked with Andrew Paulson, the former owner of Agon.

Merenzon knows Ilyumzhinov via Press Release Group, his media company with locations in New York, London and Moscow, where it's called Public Space. “I knew him from the [2010 Presidential] elections when he asked me to arrange a couple of interviews with western media. He felt his message wasn't being heard, so I helped him. Assisting Russians and others with PR and contacts with western journalists, that's what my company does.”

For the whole interview see:

http://www.chess.com/news/an-intervi...d-carlsen-4530

Re: Candidates, World Title Match in the United States?

Candidates, World Title Match, in the United States

October 4, 2015

Chess-news.ru have given their translation of the Ilyumzhinov interview and it removes some of the ambiguity of my translation:

In the interview to Chess-News, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced that the World Championship match has been scheduled for October 2016 and will be held in the United States of America. "It's all decided," - he added. The exact city to host the match is still unknown, but according to Ilyumzhinov it could be New York city, Los Angeles, or Chicago.

"I made another offer when meeting the sponsors: to give the US the right to organise also the Candidates Tournament, which is scheduled for March," Ilyumzhinov told us. According to him, there is 50% chance that the US will host the Candidates, since other countries, wishing to nominate their player, may also bid for the right to hold the competition.

Ilyumzhinov also mentioned the agreement with Monaco to host Women's World Championship match in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
      "It's all decided," - he added. The exact city to host the match is still unknown, but according to Ilyumzhinov it could be New York city, Los Angeles, or Chicago.
      Sounds fishy.

Comment

FIDE President's working visit to Yerevan

Thursday, 05 November 2015

On November the 4th, the FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov arrived on a working visit in Yerevan where he met with the President of Armenia, President of the Armenian Chess Federation Serzh Sargsian. The two Presidents discussed several issues related to the organization of the Candidates' Tournament. The FIDE President informed Mr. Sargsian that the event would be held in Moscow the next year as it has been planned. The organizers will be FIDE and AGON with the support of Russian Chess Federation. The partner of the tournament will be a famous Russian company Tashir. The organizer will nominate GM Levon Aronian to participate as their nominee.

From the FIDE site:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...o-yerevan.html

Egidijus said to be cautious and Jack broke the news that the Candidates is to be in Moscow. I wonder what the chance of the World Championship being in the United States are now?

Comment

World Title Match in the United States?

November 25, 2015

With Ilyumzhinov persona non grata in the United States accused of materially assisting the Syrian government, what does one make of this statement in the New York Times today? Will he be in New York next week? Jack, what are the betting odds on his coming?

“I didn’t have any commercial relationship with Syria, and all of my connections with that country and many others are purely humanitarian,” Mr. Ilyumzhinov said in an emailed statement. “As head of the large sport federation, I use all opportunities I have with heads of state to promote chess. ”

He added that he intended to hold next year’s world chess championship in the United States, and that he had planned to travel to New York next week as part of preparations for the event.

Comment

November 27, 2015

It looks like the World Championship will be played in New York, but…. This by Malcolm Pein in The Telegraph today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...-Treasury.html

(Ilyumzhinov) continued: “I have a Sunday visit to the US, which will host the talks and the signing of a contract for the World Chess Championship in November next year in New York.

"The fact that they put me on the list – well, we will investigate that. I will go to the Ministry of Finance and ask them what they have against me.”

Pein:
            I would stake a bottle of the best Kalmykian vodka that Mr Ilyumzhinov will not be knocking at the door of the US Treasury on Monday morning.
            ________

I think a very funny short story could be written where Kirsan gets into a Washington, D.C. cab and says, “Take me to the Ministry of Finance”.

Comment

January 13, 2016

According to Andrey Filatov, the sanctions of the U.S. Treasury against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov have hit FIDE hard.

“I believe that you should go to court before applying sanctions so that you can prove your case.”

Moreover, Filatov, says that the match for the World Championship is not guaranteed to take place in the United States.

The negotiations were suspended after the U.S. imposed sanctions against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. An agreement has not been reached and the final decision will be made in March. “I hope that the World Cup will be held in the United States and that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will reward the World Champion.”

It will not be easy for Ilyumzhinov to win a lawsuit against the authorities in the United States. He is not a US citizen and when you are under sanctions, you forfeit your rights and do not have legal protection. Judging by the statements made, he was punished for communicating with people who are in Syria. That is the only reason – communication.

Asked if he was ready to step in and lead FIDE if the situation becomes critical, he answered in the negative.

“No, I am not ready. There are no such plans. I intend to deal only with the Russian Chess Federation. I like my job with it and our main task is winning gold medals in the Olympics in Baku. It takes all of my time and that work has already begun.”

http://chess-news.ru/node/20776

Comment

"he was punished for communicating with people who are in Syria. That is the only reason – communication."

Of course a Russian chess "news" site would characterize why Kirsan was sanctioned this way. Kirsan was punished for being a major shareholder in a bank that included his own appointees to the board that facilitated transactions with ISIS. This is a provable fact that he would not be able to refute in any court (other then perhaps a Russian court). He was not shown much sympathy as an ex dictator where an opposition journalist was murdered by his own aides. A journalist who according to the book "Curse of Kirsan" among other things exposed that mothers who complained about not being able to feed their infants were dispatched to mental institutes.
                The book "Putins Kleptocracy" outlines how Kirsan rigged Putin's first election in his region in return for an investigation being dropped about his own involvement in murder. Putin returned the favor a year and half ago by corrupting the FIDE election with the help of Russian embassies world wide.

The CFC was part of this by accepting what is in my view tantamount to an $80,000.00 bribe in the form of FIDE tournament sponsorship (not offered at the time to federations that supported Garry), as well, it appeared, to ensure the continued employment of the Canadian FIDE representative as an arbitrator who was very much involved in the endorsement process even though he declared publicly at the prior election involving Karpov that he was conflicted out according to Kevin Spraggett's blog.

Meanwhile Kirsan continues to appear at FIDE sponsored events and has said himself that he is still President that contradicts what FIDE itself says. What a wonderful example of a man that our juniors can look forward to meeting at FIDE events.

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

January 13, 2016

According to Andrey Filatov, the sanctions of the U.S. Treasury against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov have hit FIDE hard.

“I believe that you should go to court before applying sanctions so that you can prove your case.”

Moreover, Filatov, says that the match for the World Championship is not guaranteed to take place in the United States.

The negotiations were suspended after the U.S. imposed sanctions against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. An agreement has not been reached and the final decision will be made in March. “I hope that the World Cup will be held in the United States and that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will reward the World Champion.”

It will not be easy for Ilyumzhinov to win a lawsuit against the authorities in the United States. He is not a US citizen and when you are under sanctions, you forfeit your rights and do not have legal protection. Judging by the statements made, he was punished for communicating with people who are in Syria. That is the only reason – communication.

Asked if he was ready to step in and lead FIDE if the situation becomes critical, he answered in the negative.

“No, I am not ready. There are no such plans. I intend to deal only with the Russian Chess Federation. I like my job with it and our main task is winning gold medals in the Olympics in Baku. It takes all of my time and that work has already begun.”

http://chess-news.ru/node/20776
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 20th January, 2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

STATEMENT REGARDING 2016 WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP

JANUARY 13, 2016

Today, Russian Sports New Agency (R-Sport) published an interview with Andrey Filatov, President of the Russian Chess Federation, where he stated that 'talks to hold the 2016 World Chess Championship Match in the US are on hold'.

Agon, which holds rights to organize the match, would like to inform the media that statement by RCF President is not accurate.

The Match will take place in the US on November 9 – November 30, 2016, negotiations with host cities are in the final stage and Agon together with FIDE will announce the host city this month.

http://www.agonlimited.com/news/2016...s-championship

Comment

Working...
                  X