Calgary International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary International

I wanted to thanks Vlad Rekhson for an outstanding tournament. I know from help organizing international tournaments how much time and effort is required. Vlad made it seem very easy.
    Also I want to thank the Calgary Chess Club for hosting the event and the CFC for their sponsorship. There was a great rule that there could no draws agreed before move 30. This resulted in many decisive and hard fought games.
    All the players were extremely nice and although I played badly after a nine year layoff from slow chess, I look forward to playing again in the near future. I hope I can catch on to computer assisted preparation. It is a different game now then when I played in the 80's.

Re: Calgary International

It was a pleasure having you around Ian. I agree, all the players in the event were friendly and fought hard.
    The event details including standings and majority of the games can be found at: http://www.albertachess.org/2015normsalberta.html
    Most of the games have been entered with more to come. The players were in general agreement that the most interesting game of the tournament was the double corner rook sacrifice by Diwen Shi on his way to defeating Dan Kazmaier. It was interesting that only one round before that Gary Ng sacrificed both of his corner rooks against Dan, but wasn't as successful. I wonder if anyone ever had the corner rooks sacrificed against him in consecutive games?

Comment

Why was a player rated 1746 in the International section?

Comment

For experience. He is a junior and he actually scored 4/9 in the Calgary International this summer including some positive results against opposition over 2000. All his games were competitive including being pretty close to a draw against FM Kavutskiy in the last round.

Comment

PGN games are missing for round 9. Mark Crowther of "The Week in Chess" was asking me if I had them.
          Also - the Edmonton Invitational is missing all the games from round 3, and most from round 8. Round 1 is in there twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            PGN games are missing for round 9. Mark Crowther of "The Week in Chess" was asking me if I had them.
            Also - the Edmonton Invitational is missing all the games from round 3, and most from round 8. Round 1 is in there twice.
            Yes, should be updated in next few days thanks for reminder.

Comment

Working...
            X