Team Tournament - GTCL League 2016 - Regular Time control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Tournament - GTCL League 2016 - Regular Time control

Referring to the above, it has been held during the week days in Toronto.

For 2016, is it possible to hold it during the weekend - Saturday and Sunday ?

With so many chess clubs in GTA and surrounding areas, I believe there will be at least 20 teams or more. Non chess clubs also can form a team. Universities / schools also can participate as well.

Say if each team entry fees is $ 250 ( $ 50 each ) and say 20 teams entered, there will be $ 5k of entry fees.

And say 60% of the entry fees is distributed to winners ( top 3 and a class prize ), I think this should create great team tournament. Balance 40% for the cost to the organizer of the tournament. This should be a 5 rounds swiss system. Will it work ?

Will there be at least 20 teams playing ?

I personally like team tournaments as it build team co-operation among the players in the same team.

Any views on the above ?

Re: Team Tournament - GTCL League 2016 - Regular Time control

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    Any views on the above ?
    Prepare a bid and see :)

Personally I prefer a 1-game-per-week format.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Prepare a bid and see :)

Personally I prefer a 1-game-per-week format.
      It is not easy for non Torontonians to go to Toronto on a week night for like 5-8 weeks. It will be easier for them to play in the weekend. Hopefully the current GTCL organizers will take note of this request.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
        Hopefully the current GTCL organizers will take note of this request.
        Gary, Would you like to be a current GTCL organizer?
        Unfortunately, we don't have too many of them. And all of them have their own limitations, including space availability.

Willowdale Chess Club is preparing a bid for Greater Toronto Chess League 2016 event. The games will be on Tuesday night - it's the only day when the site is available.
        If you believe to play on the weekend is better - please prepare and submit your bid. It's always good to have a choice!
        But please do it soon - we're planning to make decision and announce Greater Toronto Chess League 2016 event by the end of November.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
          Gary, Would you like to be a current GTCL organizer?
          Unfortunately, we don't have too many of them. And all of them have their own limitations, including space availability.

Willowdale Chess Club is preparing a bid for Greater Toronto Chess League 2016 event. The games will be on Tuesday night - it's the only day when the site is available.
          If you believe to play on the weekend is better - please prepare and submit your bid. It's always good to have a choice!
          But please do it soon - we're planning to make decision and announce Greater Toronto Chess League 2016 event by the end of November.

Thanks
          Hi Michael, I am not ready at this point in time but definitely interested to hold future team events. Just want to point out my views. Thanks

Gary Hua

Comment

I'm wondering why 5-player teams. If there were 4 players, there would be an even number of whites and blacks. For out-of-town teams, 4 players can fit into a car. And it would be a bit easier to find 4 players to form a team, rather than 5.

I've got no skin in the game, I'm just wondering why the organisers choose 5-man teas,

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              I'm wondering why 5-player teams. If there were 4 players,
              GTCL team competitions are with 4 playing persons per team, and several reserves:
              in League over several weeks somebody can not come for a day or two, in the Cup (one day event) somebody is later from work.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification... I was misled by the post above that said "each team entry fees is $ 250 ( $ 50 each )" implying a 5-person team.

Comment

Hi Gary,

As some of the colleagues mentioned, it's about giving it a try. Many of the organizers continue doing what they know, assuming this is what people want, and can at least reasonably project their success rate. Organizers who go on an adventure risk running an unsuccessful event. Money does drive people, but it's not necessarily the only incentive.

The GTCL League Team competition has been reasonably successful with 8 teams from 6+ different clubs, over the past few years. There has not been entry fee and prizes were a symbolic medal / trophy. Still around 50 players compete in this, and the field and level of play is quite competitive.

Annex has hosted the rapid equivalent to this competition, very successfully. But it was a 4 hour event. Kitchener has had some success with Team Rapids as well. Again, one-day events. I don't think any of these competitions have had any real monetary value for the players, and any fees be more to cover fees (with a symbolic prize) than anything. Players meet to have fun, play some good chess, where the team event makes chess far more social than we're accustomed to.
                  One of your suggestions is to turn it into a regular weekender type event in regards to fees structures. Food for thought, but I prefer the social events to not have the financial burden hanging over heads.

It is common, during regular weekend tournaments, for about 20% of the players to take a bye at some point or another. That is a significant chunk of byes, that only affect X or Y player directly. About in teams? The once-a-week format observed at the Willowdale in the past for the GTCL League, allows for teams to have several 'subs' or 'alternates', or if you will, a team could be composed of maybe 10 players, only 4 of whom play at any given time. This allows for people to effectively 'take byes' without damaging anything. Alternatively, with one-day events, it's quite common that the same team of 4 players without an alternate show up, and everyone plays all games. How will it work for a weekend (two days, day one with 3 rounds? - or two and half days?) team swiss?

I agree 100% that teams competitions should have 4 boards, irrespective of number of alternates allowed. 2 whites and 2 blacks should be the right balance, unless we were to increase it to 6 boards. In some places in Europe team competitions have many boards per team, but we need to make team competitions more popular before we can discuss that, in my opinion. I might even prefer 4 boards competitions than 6 or 8. In a 4 player team match, every board and point counts far more dearly than if the field was doubled.

Note also that... where team chess is most successful (not in Canada), weekend tournaments are not a norm. In many cases, team competitions are the only rated chess that is played by many club players across the world. Distances are shorter in Europe and chess is more developed overall. So for them, team chess is often the only competitive chess they play. We are already 'spoiled' with all kinds of alternatives. Be it once-a-week rated chess at the club (not team), or weekenders, rapids and casual sessions booming everywhere, Internet, etc...

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    I'm wondering why 5-player teams. If there were 4 players, there would be an even number of whites and blacks. For out-of-town teams, 4 players can fit into a car. And it would be a bit easier to find 4 players to form a team, rather than 5.

I've got no skin in the game, I'm just wondering why the organisers choose 5-man teas,

Hi John,

I meant 4 players + 1 reserve player = 5 players. My mistake in not making it clearer.

Gary
                    Last edited by Gary Hua; Sunday, 8th November, 2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                      Hi Gary,

As some of the colleagues mentioned, it's about giving it a try. Many of the organizers continue doing what they know, assuming this is what people want, and can at least reasonably project their success rate. Organizers who go on an adventure risk running an unsuccessful event. Money does drive people, but it's not necessarily the only incentive.

The GTCL League Team competition has been reasonably successful with 8 teams from 6+ different clubs, over the past few years. There has not been entry fee and prizes were a symbolic medal / trophy. Still around 50 players compete in this, and the field and level of play is quite competitive.

Annex has hosted the rapid equivalent to this competition, very successfully. But it was a 4 hour event. Kitchener has had some success with Team Rapids as well. Again, one-day events. I don't think any of these competitions have had any real monetary value for the players, and any fees be more to cover fees (with a symbolic prize) than anything. Players meet to have fun, play some good chess, where the team event makes chess far more social than we're accustomed to.
                      One of your suggestions is to turn it into a regular weekender type event in regards to fees structures. Food for thought, but I prefer the social events to not have the financial burden hanging over heads.

It is common, during regular weekend tournaments, for about 20% of the players to take a bye at some point or another. That is a significant chunk of byes, that only affect X or Y player directly. About in teams? The once-a-week format observed at the Willowdale in the past for the GTCL League, allows for teams to have several 'subs' or 'alternates', or if you will, a team could be composed of maybe 10 players, only 4 of whom play at any given time. This allows for people to effectively 'take byes' without damaging anything. Alternatively, with one-day events, it's quite common that the same team of 4 players without an alternate show up, and everyone plays all games. How will it work for a weekend (two days, day one with 3 rounds? - or two and half days?) team swiss?

I agree 100% that teams competitions should have 4 boards, irrespective of number of alternates allowed. 2 whites and 2 blacks should be the right balance, unless we were to increase it to 6 boards. In some places in Europe team competitions have many boards per team, but we need to make team competitions more popular before we can discuss that, in my opinion. I might even prefer 4 boards competitions than 6 or 8. In a 4 player team match, every board and point counts far more dearly than if the field was doubled.

Note also that... where team chess is most successful (not in Canada), weekend tournaments are not a norm. In many cases, team competitions are the only rated chess that is played by many club players across the world. Distances are shorter in Europe and chess is more developed overall. So for them, team chess is often the only competitive chess they play. We are already 'spoiled' with all kinds of alternatives. Be it once-a-week rated chess at the club (not team), or weekenders, rapids and casual sessions booming everywhere, Internet, etc...

Alex Ferreira
                      https://www.fide.com/images/stories/...L_SCHEDULE.pdf

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...ival-2015.html

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am thinking the same line too in that the tournament is for 4 boards + 1 reserve player. Maybe regular time control may not be workable for 2 days weekend tournament. Maybe it should be rapid time control as what Kitchener had done for the past few years. If there is enough teams, then we can hold it over more than 5 rounds and over two days.

I have attached the two links ( above ) for some considerations / thoughts. That team tournament attracted lots of interest and players from regional countries play as well.

I just thought if the tournament has prize $$$ involved, it may be more successful.

Just some food for thoughts.

Gary Hua

Comment

Working...
                      X