Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChessBase 13 - serious bug??

(Also posted to ChessPub forum)

While working with ChessBase 13 (recently upgraded to Version 13.13) and the just-released Mega Database 2016 I noticed some very strange behavior that affects sorting and filtering.

When I open the database and click on the Elo W column heading to sort the games by descending rating, I expect to get a bunch of games by Magnus Carlsen at the top. Instead the list starts with Topalov rated 2812.

I also run into problems when I try to filter for games with players who are under a certain rating. It does not include all games by players without a rating. I found this out by attempting to delete games played by those under 2100. When I delete the filtered games some games with players without ratings still remain. There is no way to specifically filter for a blank rating (you can only enter valid numbers into the filter fields).

This behavior seems to be consistent for me when using any large (250,000+ game) database. It is also consistent on the two computers that I use for Chessbase 13 (both Windows 10, 64-bit. 16 Gb or more memory, fast CPU).

It does not occur with the free Chessbase Reader program which is based on Chessbase 12.

Would anyone else with CB 13 try the steps in my second sentence and post your results?

I contacted ChessBase support about a related problem before determining the real issues. Still no reply. I will be contacting them again tomorrow.

Many thanks

Re: ChessBase 13 - serious bug??

Originally posted by Dave Broughton View Post

While working with ChessBase 13 (recently upgraded to Version 13.13) and the just-released Mega Database 2016 I noticed some very strange behavior that affects sorting and filtering.

When I open the database and click on the Elo W column heading to sort the games by descending rating, I expect to get a bunch of games by Magnus Carlsen at the top. Instead the list starts with Topalov rated 2812.
    Ditto.

Also happens with CB13.13 when filtering Canbase, which is 126114 games, so the problem is not restricted to huge dBs.

Comment

I have been trying to fix problems with Chessbase 13 since July when suddenly people at Chessbase.com completely stopped responding, for no apparent reason. I had problems similar to yours along with some annoying dysfunctions with my largest database. The main problem I managed to fix using Chessbase 12, after months of uncertainty and no response from Chessbase. Af of now I have not returned to Chessbase 13.

Comment

I contacted ChessBase support about a related problem before determining the real issues.

I reported the sorting problem and got this email from chessbase today:

Thank you, will be solved with the next update.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Best Regards

Mathias Feist

Comment

Thanks John - I got a similar reply. It is good for them to hear it from a number of users.

I also hope they sort out how Chessbase treats players without ratings. Sorting and filtering seem to produce different results.

As an aside, if you look at the number of times an "upgrade" breaks things, vs the number of upgrades, it seems that there is about a 50% chance that any upgrade will break something! A few years ago I suggested that they have a beta test program, and even volunteered as a tester. They never took me up on it. I wish they would step up their quality control.

Comment

The ChessBase 13, version 14 update was available today. I noticed that it did appear to fix the sort order bug and you can now get rid of the unwanted preview window.

I hope nothing else got broken along the way!

Cheers

Comment

The ChessBase 13, version 14 update was available today.
              Avast gives a (false?) positive virus detection for the 13.14 update.
              AFAIK, Avast uses a heuristic that classifies exe files written with Visual STudio as Trojans, so that might be the problem here.

If anyone has this problem, you can temporarily disable Avast for 10 minutes while doing the update.

Comment

Working...
              X