R.I.P. John Barbatbun, 1929-2015, lifelong chess player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. John Barbatbun, 1929-2015, lifelong chess player

Kingston lost one of its keenest chess people this past Sunday, when John Barbatbun passed away at age 86.

John played chess for most of his very long life. He made a new home in Kingston, after immigrating from Hungary following the failed 1956 Revolution, which was crushed by the Soviets.

Soon after arrival, he joined the Kingston Chess Club, where he made many new friends, and was a big part of our Club until just recently.

John sure loved his chess. He could be a tough opponent for anyone on a good night.

He played in the 1966 Canadian Open in Kingston, and won a prize.

I still remember the night when John defeated IM Lawrence Day in a very nice game, at a Kingston simultaneous event in 1999. IM Day took on more than 30 opponents that night, and lost only three games. John, 70 at the time, wore a huge grin for weeks afterwards! :)

John impressed everyone with his classy behavior and gentlemanly manners, which is all the more impressive, considering the very difficult times he endured in his early life in Europe.

Rest In Peace.

Funeral arrangements and obituary: http://www.webwoods.com/jrfuneral/ob...ls&obitid=2789

Re: R.I.P. John Barbatbun, 1929-2015, lifelong chess player

John's funeral was a classy affair, just like the man himself, with a large turnout of family and friends.

John had been honoured by the Ontario Chess Association for his services over 15 years in chess development, being part of a long-running Kingston program to teach chess in area schools. :)

At the reception, there was a vintage photo of John playing in the 1966 Canadian Open in Kingston!

John's children and grandchildren all spoke fondly about learning chess from him in their youth.

My above post about John to this site had been sent (not by me) to his family, and was read aloud at the funeral.

Comment

Working...
    X