2016 North American Youth Chess Championship, CYCC, Canadian Open bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 North American Youth Chess Championship, CYCC, Canadian Open bids

Anyone interested in bidding on these three tournaments, please submit your bids to the CFC office before the beginning of the December 13th to December 20th, 2015 meeting of the CFC voting members.

Re: 2016 North American Youth Chess Championship, CYCC, Canadian Open bids

Vlad, what steps are you taking to solicit/encourage bids? What are your priorities?

Comment

The Windsor Organizing Committee had a meeting tonight with the intent of hammering out some issues pertaining to Windsor bidding for these three tournaments.

One likely scenario was to hold CYCC July 5 through July 8 with one round on July 5 and two rounds each subsequent day. Likely size of CYCC would be 300 players (last year was 285 or so and there should be at least 15 more Windsor kids).

Canadian Open would likely be Sunday July 10th through 17th possibly at a different hotel from CYCC. Hard to judge the size but if we got 150 the main room would be comfortable and could be ramped up to 250 or even 300 for a slightly higher cost.

There was some argument by non-players that there should be a Canadian Open format of nine rounds with two rounds a day. That was not popular with the players present.

NAYCC would be Monday August 22 through Friday August 26th with 300+ participants expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Vlad, what steps are you taking to solicit/encourage bids? What are your priorities?
        Right now my priority is that Windsor submits a bid for all three tournaments and we put into place a local infrastructure that will be able to pick up the slack whenever it becomes apparent that no one else across Canada is able to put together a bid for such national and international events. One of the chief organizers will be a person who does not have much chess experience but capably helped organize a very much larger Special Olympics event locally. We have several well connected chess parents and we already have $1500 in pledges on day one of fundraising. We also have strong expressions of support from Michigan chess organizers including Sal Chehayeb the Michigan Chess Association President, Ed Mandell who organizes a significant number of Michigan chess tournaments and Alan Kaufman of Michigan Chess Festival fame who is a large scale organizer who recently held the GM tournament the Friendship Games which featured Gata Kamsky and something like a dozen GMs not to mention Kevin Fite who is a key organizer of Detroit area junior tournaments and events (including the Nakamura simul) and a huge Detroit City chess club. We expect this will translate into significant participation by Michigan players in NAYCC and the Canadian Open. We will not be asking for any special support from the CFC other than some help from Hal Bond and Aris Marghetis with the arbiting chores. Both have recently indicated that they are amenable to the idea. We also have a pledge from FIDE to fund a trainers seminar at their expense if Windsor does the NAYCC if we can fulfill their requirements for female participation (ten women to take the seminar).

It is actually late to be putting together such significant tournaments. No Saturdays are available at the venues we originally considered. We jumped in when the other potential bidders faltered. Originally Windsor was interested in NAYCC after the CMA seemed to run into road blocks putting together their bid. They are apparently still exploring a bid for NAYCC as is Sault Ste. Marie.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 21st November, 2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Vlad,

Yes the cost for space in Toronto and Montreal has skyrocketed since 2013.

One of the CMA board members has suggested we look into doing the event in Kingston ON. I will be exploring this possibility next week. I was looking at Aug 15 - 19, 2016.

Before I make enquiries....is there a problem with these dates?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Hi Vlad,

Yes the cost for space in Toronto and Montreal has skyrocketed since 2013.

One of the CMA board members has suggested we look into doing the event in Kingston ON. I will be exploring this possibility next week. I was looking at Aug 15 - 19, 2016.

Before I make enquiries....is there a problem with these dates?

Larry
            There is no problem that I am aware of with those dates at least with respect to tournaments that have been announced. The Windsor dates are the result of asking the same venue where we held the Canadian Youth Chess Championships what the best dates in August would be to hold the tournament from their point of view (with the hope of getting the best price) and a somewhat spectacular downtown location.

We are also making parallel enquiries on some not so spectacular sites and one looks very interesting for the Canadian Open at least.

Has the cost of space gone up everywhere around Toronto?
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 21st November, 2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X