X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Anniversary of Ilyumzhinov’s FIDE Presidency

20th Anniversary of Ilyumzhinov’s FIDE Presidency

November 24, 2015

Certainly a controversial President and a man about whom many have strong opinions. Putting aside one’s personal feelings for him, we ask, “Has FIDE and world chess made progress under him?”

The FIDE website lists his achievements and I give the complete text below. The press release is at:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...-in-fide-.html

20th anniversary of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov's Presidency in FIDE 20 years of progress

With 20 years anniversary of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov’s accession to the office of the FIDE President this November, 24, it is proper to recall his achievements as FIDE President, whose contribution in the history of the world chess cannot be underestimated.

When Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was elected as FIDE President in 1995, the issues he faced, had been primarily a divided chess world (after Kasparov and Short created the "Professional Chess Association" (PCA) and started to organize their own world championships), a poor FIDE chess calendar, FIDE permanent financial problems and a few major achievements are as follows.

1) Recognition of Chess as a Sport

In 1999 the International Olympic Committee recognized FIDE as an international sports organization, confirming the fact that chess is a sport. The FIDE President's present aim is to include chess in the Winter Games and to join the family of Olympic Sports in the future and he is working hard in this direction. So far chess has been participating in continental (Asian, African), regional (Games of the Caribbean, South-East Asia), Arab Games, Universiade and Maccabi games and many others.

During the last meeting in June 2015 IOC and FIDE representatives made a decision to meet on a regular basis in order to discuss issues of mutual concern.

Chess federations are full or affiliate members recognized by the National Olympic Committees in 127 countries, and chess as a sport is recognized in 155 countries.

2) Unification of the World Chess Championship

Since 1993 the chess world fell apart and there had been two different organizations representing chess players with two different world championship cycles and two different world champions. It was unacceptable for the image of chess and FIDE, therefore Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has done his best to unify the chess world. Over years several attempts to re-unify the world championship failed for various reasons. In 2002 the unification agreement has been signed in Prague and in 2006 a unification match between Vladimir Kramnik and Veselin Topalov was played. Since then the only chess federation representing chess players from around the world is FIDE and only FIDE has exclusive rights to organize the World Championships.

3) Stable financial situation of FIDE

It's not a secret that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov donated millions of dollars from his own funds for chess development. He was helping chess well before he had become FIDE President, including the sponsorship of the Moscow Chess Olympiad 1994. When Kirsan Ilyumzhinov became FIDE President, there were very few events in the FIDE calendar and FIDE could hardly find sponsors for these events.

Thanks to the efforts of the FIDE President, the prize funds reached an absolutely different level. Prizes for players and stipends for principles as well as organizational costs have been increased tremendously. The FIDE President managed to attract many sponsors from around the world and at the moment, FIDE has a stable income to its budget also by introducing new events and continuously finding new organizers and sponsorship. Only in the last two years the total amount of the prize funds for the FIDE events reached approximately 10 million dollars. The FIDE budget has also increased accordingly and nearly doubled in 2014 as compared to 2008.

4) Complete FIDE calendar

The moment when Kirsan Ilyumzhinov became the FIDE President the calendar included only few events (World Chess Olympiads and World Championships). Being a huge chess supporter, numerous events were introduced by the FIDE President to the FIDE calendar not only for chess professionals but also for amateurs and young players, including absolutely new events as World School Championships, World Cup, Grand Prix series, World Rapid and Blitz Championships etc. Nowadays the FIDE calendar is full of tournaments.

5) The number of people playing chess increased more than ten times

In July 1995 there were 18162 FIDE rated players and in November 2015 the number reached 227751 players, thus, the number of active chess players increased more than 10 times in the last 20 years. In November 2015 there are 547747 registered players.

In 2010 the FIDE President announced his main target - to reach 1 billion people who can play chess. (According to a study of British company YouGov, more than 600 million people play chess in the World (March 2012)). Every year he visits many countries promoting the ‘Chess in Schools’ programme, inspiring people of all ages to play chess.
    Since the FIDE President launched the knockout system a lot of players have been taking part in all knock out events during all these years. The new World Championship cycle system allowed many more chess players to make their living and benefit from chess. This was not possible before 1995, when only a dozen of top players were enjoying the advantages of elite players.

6) The FIDE family has substantially increased

In 1995 in Paris, France 149 federations were present. In 2015 there are 186 federations members of FIDE, making FIDE one of the largest sports organizations in the world.

In 1996 during the 32nd Olympiad in Yerevan 114 teams representing 111 nations participated in the Open section and 74 teams representing 72 nations in the women’s section took part.

In 2014 in Tromso there were 177 teams from 172 countries in the open section and 136 from 131 countries in the women's section.

However, the FIDE President doesn't intend to stop at this stage: he believes all nations should join the international chess community. The main target is to achieve a significant growth in the number of people of all ages participating in chess events at all levels and to develop chess by increasing the level of tournament participation globally.

7) Development of women’s chess

The data of Elista FIDE office shows that the number of women players increased from 1650 women players in 1995 to 22046 in November 2015! The number of female players with titles was 545 in July 1995 and reached 3056 in November 2015.

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov is a huge supporter of women’s chess. He has done a lot to attract the sponsorship and media to the women’s chess. The current Women’s championship circle system, which includes a knockout tournament, Women Grand Prix series and the Women World Championship Match with a decent prize fund always attracts the strongest women players.

Re: 20th Anniversary of Ilyumzhinov’s FIDE Presidency

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    5) The number of people playing chess increased more than ten times

In July 1995 there were 18162 FIDE rated players and in November 2015 the number reached 227751 players, thus, the number of active chess players increased more than 10 times in the last 20 years. In November 2015 there are 547747 registered players.
    Apples to oranges - What was the minimal rating to get a FIDE rating twenty years ago? (2200, 2000, or maybe 1800) What is now? I don't know where it stopped falling (1100 or 1000) these days.

Comment

Re: 20th Anniversary of Ilyumzhinov’s FIDE Presidency

US sanctions those helping Syrian gov't buy oil from Islamic State. The sanctions target Russian Financial Alliance Bank for its role in financial transactions with the Syrian government as well as two individuals linked to the bank, Mudalal Khuri and Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, the Treasury Department said in a statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/25/us-sa...mic-state.html

Comment

Orwellian US sanctions

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
        US sanctions ...(etc)
        Wow. That's just Orwellian. US ally Turkey - including President's Recap Erdogan's own son who owns/manages the trucking company that transports ISIL oil - is implicated in buying oil from Daesh (ISIL). This is beside the fact that Daesh and other proxies are attacking Syria and claim to have attacked a Russian passenger jet in Egypt. Odd that they would trade with people that they're trying to kill, don't you agree? But the State Department is a strange place. They think "moderates" shooting unarmed pilots in a parachute is "self defense".

*****************************************************************************************

"No person parachuting from an aircraft in distress shall be made the object of attack during his descent."

Protocol 1, from 1977, of the Geneva (war crime) convention, article 42.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 25th November, 2015, 04:50 PM. Reason: added protocol 1, 1977 of Geneva Convention
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Ilyumzhinov, FIDE President

Ilyumzhinov, FIDE President

I suppose we have all wished at some time or another that there was an information portal of all things Ilyumzhinov. Well, there is and here is the latest:

http://kirsan.today/en/interview/ite...sanctions.html

May 12, 2016

Ilyumzhinov: "I intend to come to New York despite the sanctions "

FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov said that he deliberately proposed a match of the World Chess Championship in Empire State Building in New York at the opening ceremony of a chess school named after Vladimir Kramnik in Sochi:

“It's like a return to the confrontation of the two great systems! Besides, Sergey Karjakin is from the Crimea and this is an additional nuance. Moreover, what a nuance it is! Former Ukrainian ... In general, all came together here. Excitement grows at a scary pace!”

- Wait a minute, you are under US sanctions. They banned you to enter the USA.

“Yes”, acknowledged Ilyumzhinov. “They banned me to enter US in for my relationship with Bashar al-Assad because I was in Syria and presented the Syrians with a thousand chessboards for the development of chess. Surprisingly I was accused of financing the regime.
          I filed a lawsuit to protect my honour and dignity estimating damage at 50 billion dollars. They claimed 50 billion dollars for Yukos so in return I arranged the same payback to them. Moreover, I did not seek to hide from investigation. I have answered 200 questions already ...”

- What kind of questions?

“They dig far down. They look through all my travels from country to country, tickets and financial transactions. Two FBI agents arrived in Russia to work with a bank because of myself. I explained each case and did not hide anything. Yes, I travelled all over the world and will do as FIDE President.

I wrote them that I was ready to undergo the polygraph test and confirm that I did not fund any regime including Assad’s. According to their regulations, if they would not be able to prove anything within three months that is until 29th of May, then they will have to present evidence upon which I was banned to enter the United States. Thus, we shall see ...”

- In other words, you still intend to come to New York in November?

“Probably, I will go to the court soon”, did not rule Ilyumzhinov.

Comment

Re: Orwellian US sanctions

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            Odd that they would trade with people that they're trying to kill, don't you agree? But the State Department is a strange place.
            Nigel is Chesstalk's local troll who ran as a candidate for The Communist Party of Canada during the Soviet era. The report he cites about Erdogan's son being involved in ISIS oil is unsubstantiated propaganda put out by his beloved hero Putin. Here is a good research paper on ISIS oil and Turkey. The paper is objective and does fault Turkey for not properly sealing its border to ISIS oil but no proof has been offered of Turkish Government Involvement or Erdogan's son.

Research Paper: Turkey-ISIS Oil Trade
            12/15/2015 11:31 am ET | Updated Dec 15, 2015

David L. Phillips
            Director of the Program on Peace-building and Rights, Columbia University’s Institute for the Study of Human Rights

Introduction

The sale of oil products by ISIS garners about $500 million/year. The US led multinational coalition has pledged to destroy ISIS. Its strategy includes depriving ISIS of financial support. Allegations abound that Turks are engaged in oil trade with ISIS. Additionally, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his family are allegedly implicated. Erdogan takes these charges seriously. He promised “to vacate his post of Turkey’s presidency if the claims are substantiated by concrete evidence.”

The Program on Peace-building and Rights at Columbia University’s Institute for the Study of Human Rights appointed a team of researchers in the United States, Europe, and Turkey to investigate the allegations. Researchers focus on secondary media sources. This research paper cites relevant reports.

Smugglers transport oil using a variety of means, generating significant revenues for ISIS. Smuggled oil finds its way into Turkey’s export facilities and onto tankers in Ceyhan bound for international markets. There is no “smoking gun” linking the Government of Turkey or Erdogan directly to ISIS oil sales. It is apparent, however, that Turkey turned a blind eye to ISIS oil trade. Turkey failed to seal its border, facilitating ISIS oil exports. Turks have profited at stages of the supply chain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...b_8808024.html

Comment

Orwellian US sanctions and the neo con longing for the big one

That's pretty rich coming from a supporter of neo-cons like Kasparov who publish books in which they outline their fervent longing for World War III. I've got to admit that my views have changed, unlike those with such cannibalistic longings, but I still object to war-mongers and always will.

The prospect of Kirsan in NYC I have to say is pretty amusing. I actually predicted it.

The failure of the US and its client regimes (Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Qatar, etc.) in the region to overthrow the legitimate government of Syria has made the neo-cons apoplectic with rage. First it was the chemical weapons - like the fabrication that led to the atrocities and a million dead in Iraq - supplied by Turkey (according to a Turkish Parliamentarian who hasn't yet been arrested for "insulting the President") to the terrorists and blamed on the Damascus regime; then the fake efforts to defeat the terrorists for years, while bombing Syrian infrastructure; then the astounding success of the SAA and the Russian AF (etc) in pummelling the Daesh and other terrorists.

In all this, Kirsan provides chess boards to Syria and the Byzantine US regime tries to equate that with terrorism. On and on it goes.

For those who really want a laugh, have a look at some of the critical questions posed to the State Department imbeciles in their briefings. It's truly comedic.

Comment

Re: Orwellian US sanctions and the neo con longing for the big one

That's pretty rich coming from a supporter of neo-cons like Kasparov who publish books in which they outline their fervent longing for World War III. I've got to admit that my views have changed, unlike those with such cannibalistic longings, but I still object to war-mongers and always will.

The prospect of Kirsan in NYC I have to say is pretty amusing. I actually predicted it.

The failure of the US and its client regimes (Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Qatar, etc.) in the region to overthrow the legitimate government of Syria has made the neo-cons apoplectic with rage. First it was the chemical weapons - like the fabrication that led to the atrocities and a million dead in Iraq - supplied by Turkey (according to a Turkish Parliamentarian who hasn't yet been arrested for "insulting the President") to the terrorists and blamed on the Damascus regime; then the fake efforts to defeat the terrorists for years, while bombing Syrian infrastructure; then the astounding success of the SAA and the Russian AF (etc) in pummelling the Daesh and other terrorists.

In all this, Kirsan provides chess boards to Syria and the Byzantine US regime tries to equate that with terrorism. On and on it goes.

For those who really want a laugh, have a look at some of the critical questions posed to the State Department imbeciles in their briefings. It's truly comedic.
                I C, so when you are proven wrong you just publish mindless rhetoric. May I remind you that in your very early posts to me you said that the murder of a journalist under Kirsan's regime was ok because organizations like FIFA also are involved in murder so Fide under Kirsan is aok. You also have expressed a disdain that democracy in earlier posts, i.e. chess talk posters/cfc members should not vote on certain matters such as the election of the FIDE president but let the elite few decide. Your outlook has not changed at all since Soviet times.
                You really do not deserve to live in a free country like Canada or America. Hope you go to Russia soon. You can ask your hero Snowden about how he now likes it there.

How much would you like to wager that Kirsan will not be in New York this year?
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 16th May, 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

libel, the idolatry of money, and some serious analysis, ho hum

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  May I remind you that in your very early posts to me you said that the murder of a journalist under Kirsan's regime was ok because organizations like FIFA also are involved in murder so Fide under Kirsan is aok.
                  Publishing lies, even on a discussion board, comes under the heading of libel and defamation. I will just save your odious remark and if any thoughtful lawyer wants to help pro bono, then please get in touch. This is also one of your typical personal attacks on this board, one of many, in which, since you are unable to address arguments you simply attack the person making the arguments. Pathetic. Mis-representing someone's opinion, lying, etc. is all part of this style of attack.

How much would you like to wager that Kirsan will not be in New York this year?
                  Have you ever noticed that political illiterates, unable to argue a point, wind up indulging in personal attacks and "macho" offers to bet on this or that political event? It's because they can't argue a point and therefore betting and idolatry of money takes the place of intelligent thought.

(Not for Sid) Serious political analysis: the US game plan in Syria seems to be, as it has been, the overthrow of the legitimate government by the sponsoring of different flavours of Salafist jihadists. You know, friends of bin Laden. Whether it is re-arming, re-branding, they're all affiliates of Al-Qaeda: al-Nusra, CIA mercs, etc., and they get help from the regional allies of the US (NATO member Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Israel, etc.)

Some of these terrorists recently carried out a massacre and kidnappings of Alawite civilians in Syria in an act of ethno-religious cleansing. This past week, the Russian Federation brought a (draft) resolution to the UN Security Council on sanctioning these terrorists and guess what? The US, UK, and French delegations vetoed the resolution.

Who's supporting the terrorists, again? That's why all the blather from the State Department and Tim Kirby's idiocy, Treasury Department missives, and all the rest of it is just a pack of lies. The US wants to overthrow a government, regime change, and they don't much care who they support to carry it out nor do they care who gets in their way. Except that they have a pathological hate for Russia, they can't contain their rage at the Russian AF success against the terrorists, and that too becomes a motive for trying to make Syria another failed state like Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Ukraine, etc., etc. They want to trip up the Russians, kill anything they are successful at, and shit on their chessboard.

So Kirsan is, in a sense, simply collateral damage around bigger issues and aims in US foreign policy. If he does show up in NYC, then it will be a yet another foreign policy disaster. ho hum.

More details about the terrible massacre in al-Zara, Syria:

On May 12, terrorists carried out an attack against the village of al-Zara, located in Syria's Hama province, slaughtering (20) local residents and abducting women and children. The attack took place early in the morning while the villagers were asleep, although several of the locals managed to flee the massacre....

The massacre was perpetrated by members of Ahrar ash-Sham and Jaysh al-Islam groups. Earlier attempts by Russia to officially add these two factions to the list of terrorist organizations list were blocked by the UN Security Council, with the US, France, the UK and Ukraine voting against it.
                  French MP Condemns ‘Moderates’ Massacre in Alawite Village in Syria

I guess they're the "moderate" terrorists that the US, UK, France and Ukraine support.
                  Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 16th May, 2016, 03:19 PM. Reason: "moderate" terrorists

Comment

Re: Nigels's poor memory

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan
                    Publishing lies, even on a discussion board, comes under the heading of libel and defamation. I will just save your odious remark and if any thoughtful lawyer wants to help pro bono, then please get in touch.
                    Nigel, take a look at the first few posts you did to me back on May 26 2014. Here it is, I am glad you did not edit it. To your credit you implied that despite other organizations killing people that does not make it right but never the less you still very much supported Kiran despite the murder of an opposition journalist by his own political aides. You brought up these comparisons to imply that Kiran being elected is perfectly ok because all kinds of sporting organizations like FIFA etc are involved in murder.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC), FIFA (the governing body for soccer), and FIDE should probably be compared for corruption and awfulness. They're much the same, only the sums of money vary. And they all kill people. [That doesn't make it right. But let's use chess criteria to evaluate chess issues. Politics tends to poison sports and do them harm.]Even the Olympics in Vancouver had a controversial death that was swept under the rug.
                    By the way here is your post about May 12 2014 7:41Pm about why you think it is dumb for the CFC members votes to be used to "assess the realpolitik" when deciding who they want for FIDE President.
                    An online poll isn't really a good way to determine the views of a membership, even if participation is free. Furthermore, people are elected to positions of responsibility in order to make decisions on behalf of the membership. They have access to more information and can assess the realpolitik of a situation better than most members. To me, ignoring realpolitik would be naiive and block-headed in the worst way- not immoral, but rather just dumb.

Anyway, carry on.
                    Next time you want to call me a liar know what you are talking about!
                    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 23rd May, 2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Sid the wise one

It's very wise of you to avoid discussing US policy objectives around Syria, who's actually supporting terrorism, and where sanctions against Kirsan fits into all that.

Comment

Re: Sid the wise one

It's very wise of you to avoid discussing US policy objectives around Syria, who's actually supporting terrorism, and where sanctions against Kirsan fits into all that.
                        It's very unwise of you to try deny things you posted here.

Comment

more odious remarks by Sid

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                          It's very unwise of you to try deny things you posted here.
                          Nice edit after the fact, Sid, but your disgusting interpretation of my remarks are still that; just more of your odious and probably libelious blathering.

Comment

Re: more odious remarks by Nigel

Nice edit after the fact, Sid, but your disgusting interpretation of my remarks are still that; just more of your odious and probably libelious blathering.
                            Nothing to do with my interpretation, your original post from 2014 is just that ...disgusting.
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 16th May, 2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X