Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controversy in a teacup

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
    Vlad, I have never heard of anyone contacting the Globe and Mail or in any way being upset with them. You have only yourself to blame with respect to the headline that represents the truth. The CFC publically endorsed the candidate that was and is very close with Putin and not surprisingly the Globe and Mail reported that in the headline. At the time on these forums you simply denied what was historical fact. For whatever reason you don't like Garry...no problem you vote for the other candidate, however....when you go the extra step and publicly endorse a candidate with a long history of being close to Putin, running a dictatorship where under his regime journalists "disappeared", was being investigated as a potential candidate for the sanctions list, claims he was abducted by aliens, consorts with all the worst dictators in the world, suspected self dealing with FIDE (AGON) etc etc etc don't expect glowing headlines. Yes, no doubt, you have disgraced chess in Canada so stop trying to blame others for the bad name you brought to chess in this country. I agree, it hardly matters, the deed is done and probably there will not be much left of FIDE or the CFC by the time the whole lot of you leave the chess scene.
    For all these flaws 70% of the chess world considered him a better choice than your boy. I don't believe Kasparov won on a single continent. If Kasparov hopes for a vote from Canada in the future perhaps he could try treating Canadian representatives with less contempt, especially individuals who had nothing to do with the decision on who to vote for in the last FIDE election. Anyway, I am not interested in rehashing Kasparov's defeat. Chess will go on both in the world and in Canada regardless of your chicken little pronouncements. Have a nice day, Sid.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 9th December, 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Re: The CFC Disgraced Chess in Canada -- Will Vlad Resign?

In the CFC's case the Globe and Mail published an article that stated that the CFC endorsed "Putin's choice"
      Wow, astonishingly dismal. Those are the only words I can find to describe the current condition of the Chess Federation of Canada. Seems to me a total collapse since the early 1990's. The CFC has squandered so many opportunities, practically laying to waste its very existence.

What an incredible burden this all must be for the ordinary rank & file of the CFC.

Comment

Re: The CFC Disgraced Chess in Canada -- Will Vlad Resign?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        For all these flaws 70% of the chess world considered him a better choice than your boy. I don't believe Kasparov won on a single continent. If Kasparov hopes for a vote from Canada in the future perhaps he could try treating Canadian representatives with less contempt, especially individuals who had nothing to do with the decision on who to vote for in the last FIDE election. Anyway, I am not interested in rehashing Kasparov's defeat. Chess will go on both in the world and in Canada regardless of your chicken little pronouncements. Have a nice day, Sid.
        Of course, you miss the point, it is not about who the CFC voted for, it is about giving chess a bad name by publicly endorsing a criminal. Of course chess will always go on, the public endorsement by the CFC was not helpful to this cause.

Comment

The lunatic fringe re-emerges

In order to be considered a criminal you have to have been convicted of something in a court of law. At the moment Kirsan has been convicted of nothing. With a White House and a State Department which has shown itself willing to politicize anything and everything and lie about just about everything in order to further their political narrative, we will have to wait for some real evidence to surface before we can assess the veracity of their current claims. Kirsan has stepped down until such time as he is able to clear his name. FIDE will have to continue without him until such time as he is able to refute those assertions.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 9th December, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Vlad's propaganda

In order to be considered a criminal you have to have been convicted of something in a court of law. At the moment Kirsan has been convicted of nothing. With a White House and a State Department which has shown itself willing to politicize anything and everything and lie about just about everything in order to further their political narrative, we will have to wait for some real evidence to surface before we can assess the veracity of their current claims. Kirsan has stepped down until such time as he is able to clear his name. FIDE will have to continue without him until such time as he is able to refute those assertions.
            The USA government considers him a criminal and have accordingly sanctioned him. That is a fact. You also never believed that Kirsan was closely involved with Putin but just like in this case your opinions do not negate facts. Like you,I would also like to believe that he has not been a disgrace to chess but what I want and what is are two different things.
            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 9th December, 2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Re: The lunatic fringe re-emerges

On a slightly different note, has the CFC recently looked into a deal with ICC? I noticed a number of USCF tournaments on ICC and couldn't help but wonder if CFC tournaments are in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                On a slightly different note, has the CFC recently looked into a deal with ICC? I noticed a number of USCF tournaments on ICC and couldn't help but wonder if CFC tournaments are in the near future.
                We looked into a deal with ICC and they did offer some fairly attractive terms but we have decided to go with Premium Chess which is the FIDE chess server people and also the platform that will be used for FIDE's Chess in the Schools program. Details will be forthcoming at the voting members meeting starting December 13th and ending December 20th.

Comment

Sorry to get off track here Sid, but I find this is simply appalling ...

Why doesn't the Chess Federation of Canada have its own chess server?

Comment

Leadership ...?

Comment

Aw shucks, just when the "debate" between Vlad and Syd was getting interesting, we had to get the lunatic fringe from Ottawa re-emerging from where-ever!
                      Fred Harvey

Comment

Kirsan ... the magnificent.

There is an interview with Kirsan from the Russian Chess Federation which is worth looking at. In this interview, Kirsan's unabashed positive attitude and willingness to clear his name is apparent. And something else. He's separated FIDE from himself in this struggle, presumably to make sure that FIDE's efforts in chess aren't hampered by the free-for-all with the Byzantine Treasury Department. It's the right thing to do but it takes some guts; in a dirty fight, you often need all the friends you can get as the other guys are sure to attack you in all sorts of underhanded ways.

Originally posted by Kirsan
                        This is my personal issue. And I didn’t inform anyone so as not to set FIDE up. I decided that I would resolve all my problems on my own and that Makropoulos, who became the acting FIDE President, would be in charge of chess competitions. And since I feel that this Treasury decision was made by individual people in the United States and not by the system, I decided not to ask for help from Russian officials.
                        RCF interviews Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Kirsan ... the magnificent.

Kirsan evidently plans to sue the U.S. Treasury Department for 50 billion dollars (:

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-.../27434171.html

Comment

Re: Kirsan ... the magnificent.

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                            Kirsan evidently plans to sue the U.S. Treasury Department for 50 billion dollars (:

That suit is about as credible as Kirsan's claim that aliens abducted him, that he would give $20,000,000 to FIDE when reelected, that opposition citizens that disappeared under his dictatorship had nothing to do with him, that he would come to New York (after sanctions were imposed...we are still waiting), that somehow he is not a major shareholder of a bank that facilitates Syrian transactions even though it has been on record for many years, that AGON kicking money back to him was just a "draft agreement" , etc etc etc ............if you believe anything he has to say I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Comment

Re: Kirsan ... the magnificent fraud.

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post

That suit is about as credible as Kirsan's claim that aliens abducted him, that he would give $20,000,000 to FIDE when reelected, that opposition citizens that disappeared under his dictatorship had nothing to do with him, that he would come to New York (after sanctions were imposed...we are still waiting), that somehow he is not a major shareholder of a bank that facilitates Syrian transactions even though it has been on record for many years, that AGON kicking money back to him was just a "draft agreement" , etc etc etc ............if you believe anything he has to say I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Comment

That debate was over before it began, Kirsan is done. Hopefully, as Sid has so rightly stated ...so too is Vlad.

And sad to read Fred that the old boys are still here still pushing the Chess Federation of Canada into the margin.

BTW, has the CFC got their Not For Profit status back in working order???

Keep the faith.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Saturday, 19th December, 2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X