"Ilyumzhinov suggests suspending his authorities - head of FIDE" TASS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ilyumzhinov suggests suspending his authorities - head of FIDE" TASS

"ATHENS, December 6. /TASS/. President of the World Chess Foundation (FIDE) Kirsan Ilyumzhinov suggested the organisation's presidential council suspends his authorities, head of FIDE's representation in Russia Berik Balgabayev twitted on Sunday.

FIDE presidential council takes place in Athens on Sunday.

"FIDE president suggests suspending his authorities - to next presidential council," the official wrote.

The presidential council has meetings every quarter.

On November 25, the U.S. announced sanctions against Ilyumzhinov, 53, claiming he has relations with head of the Syrian central bank. Later on, Ilyumzhinov said he did not have any commercial interests in Syria."

http://tass.ru/en/sport/841881

Re: "Ilyumzhinov suggests suspending his authorities - head of FIDE" TASS

This is a start however, as long as Kirsan remains president FIDE is toxic to chess and no truly legitimate sponsor in their right mind would get involved with this organization. The man is a disgrace not only to chess but to humanity and the EU chess federations and the CFC that supported Kirsan have played a shameful role in this blow to the game.

It's interesting how Kirsan's involvement in enabling the financing of ISIS oil transactions is supported by irrefutable evidence but when Turkey's president requested proof from Russia of it's allegation of Turkey buying oil from ISIS they refused to offer any proof or substantiation of this allegation at all. Of course Kirsan's denials are about as credible as his promise to give FIDE $20,000,000.00 or his promise to visit New York last week and magically have the department of Treasury drop an executive order against him by simply telling them that he is innocent. What else would you expect from a man who claims he was abducted from aliens?

Parents of Canada, is it not wonderful to have the opportunity for kids to win the right to compete in FIDE tournaments?, you know, the FIDE where the president is involved with ISIS and is best friends with Vladimir Putin and was a murderous dictator where journalists "disappeared" during his regime. Nice job CFC, thank you for disgracing chess in Canada with your public endorsement of Kirsan.

This morning the journalist and author Sarah Hurst tweeted her article "My article on Ilyumzhinov's involvement in the murder of Larisa Yudina from 1998": http://anusha.com/chmurd.htm

All the lies and slander that were heaped upon Garry Kasparov by the CFC do not even come close to what Kirsan has actually done.

FIDE Statement

Statement from FIDE Print
    Sunday, 06 December 2015 14:18

official logo

Athens, 6 December 2015

Following the announcement by the US Department of the Treasury that the US levied sanctions against Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, Russian citizen and FIDE President, Mr. Ilyumzhinov has informed the Presidential Board that he will withdraw from any legal, financial and business operations of FIDE until such time as Mr. Ilyumzhinov is removed from the Office of Foreign Assets Control sanction list.

Mr. Ilyumzhinov advised that he has initiated legal procedures in the US aiming to request additional information and reverse restrictive measures put by the US Department of the Treasury. During the next Presidential Board meeting, Mr. Ilyumzhinov will update the Board as to the progress of the legal procedures.

Mr. Ilyumzhinov’s decision to withdraw from any legal, financial and business operations of FIDE is to enable him to concentrate on clearing the situation with the US Department of the Treasury.

Until further notice, under section A.9.5 of the FIDE Statutes, if the President: “duly authorises, then he can be represented by the Deputy President who shall exercise the powers of the President. The Deputy President can thus represent FIDE officially and can solely sign for FIDE.” Therefore Mr. Makropoulos will now be exercising these powers and representing FIDE officially.

Nigel Freeman
    FIDE Executive Director
    http://www.fide.com/component/conten...from-fide.html
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 6th December, 2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Chess Federation of Canada, on their website and in the next CFC Gov's Letter, publish an apology not only to Kasparov but also to you Sid. And while they're at it, publish a clear statement on this whole Ilyumzhinov affair.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        Chess Federation of Canada, on their website and in the next CFC Gov's Letter, publish an apology not only to Kasparov but also to you Sid. And while they're at it, publish a clear statement on this whole Ilyumzhinov affair.
        Did you mean to say the CFC "should ..." or are you implying they have done so? Please clarify.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Did you mean to say the CFC "should ..." or are you implying they have done so? Please clarify.
          Clearly we have not done so and are not contemplating such action. I am sure the lawyers will make lots of money from this situation. If it is true that Kirsan offered material support to ISIS that would in fact be a very serious situation and personally surprising but without more evidence I would not rush to judgement. I am sure the U.S. courts are capable of sorting out this situation and I am sure that Kirsan will retain some capable lawyers to vigorously represent him.

As for any apologies from the CFC, it is not likely. Kasparov was the wrong candidate for the job of FIDE president. I have no interest in reopening that debate again. The CFC was not the only chess federation that held that opinion.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 6th December, 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Did you mean to say the CFC "should ..."
            Yes, of course.

If they have already done so, forgive my lack of skill using their website's Search function.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              Clearly we have not done so and are not contemplating such action. I am sure the lawyers will make lots of money from this situation. If it is true that Kirsan offered material support to ISIS that would in fact be a very serious situation and personally surprising but without more evidence I would not rush to judgement. I am sure the U.S. courts are capable of sorting out this situation and I am sure that Kirsan will retain some capable lawyers to vigorously represent him.

As for any apologies from the CFC, it is not likely. Kasparov was the wrong candidate for the job of FIDE president. I have no interest in reopening that debate again. The CFC was not the only chess federation that held that opinion.
              Kirsan is now a Specially Designated National (SDN) under the Office of Foreign Assets Control. In OFAC"s history the courts have agreed to hear only a couple of cases and in those few cases some points were ruled in favor of the SDN but thus far there are no reported judicial decisions reversing an OFAC designation. OFAC in its current form has been around since 1962 and under a different name since 1950 and in a different form that dates all the way back to 1812. OFAC has very broad powers although almost but not 100 percent unfettered.
              Of the over 15,100 Specially Designated Nationals on the list not one has had a Judicial decision reversing an OFAC designation, in the two cases where a court has even heard a case. In short Kirsan's designation is basically immutable.

There is no "rush to judgement", he has been already judged and furthermore it is very likely that two other governments will follow suit with the same judgement and impose similar sanctions.

OFAC investigations are incredibly exhaustive and thorough so it can be safely assumed for these reasons that Kirsan's material support of ISIS is beyond reasonable doubt and he has no legal way of successfully appealing this.

For a more comprehensive report on this subject I refer you to this publication put out by one of the most well known law firms in this area.
              http://www.whitecase.com/publication...iciary-collide

Kirsan's statement that he was coming to the US and assuming that OFAC would even give him an audience never mind reversing their decision proved to be completely ludicrous and the notion that this can be fought in the US court system is equally ridiculous.
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 6th December, 2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

a steaming pile of animal droppings

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                If it is true that Kirsan offered material support to ISIS that would in fact be a very serious situation and personally surprising but without more evidence I would not rush to judgement. I am sure the U.S. courts are capable of sorting out this situation and I am sure that Kirsan will retain some capable lawyers to vigorously represent him.
                Rushing to judgement is the point. The only point. For those who haven't followed the latest US foreign policy fiasco in Syria, a brief summary:

1. Daesh (i.e., ISIS and affiliates) has been fighting the Syrian government for 4 years now. They have the support of countries like Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and others.

This is in addition to the "moderate terrorists" that the US and others support to overthrow the Syrian regime. You know. The moderates that opened fire on a Russian pilot parachuting to safety, after his aircraft was shot down by Turkey, killing him. Such an action, incidentally, is a prima facie war crime. Suffice it to say on this latter point that the whole idea of "moderate" terrorists is a self-evident absurdity.

2. The very idea, therefore, that the secular Syrian regime would trade with terrorists that have been trying, for four years now, to overthrow them and replace them with a fundamentalist Sunni caliphate is idiotic. I mean really idiotic.

3. So, whatever "evidence" exists linking Kirsan to the Syrian regime - other than his villainous distribution of chess sets with the evil Black Knights included! - is moot anyway, as the whole thing rests on an obstinately stupid claim; why would the Assad regime trade with people trying to kill them? There's no answer to this question. Just a lot of distractions and diversions.

4. Kirsan himself has pointed out that he was in the US a couple of weeks ago. About this "very serious matter" there was ... nothing. Nada. Squat. Why didn't the Treasury Department raise this issue then? The whole thing stinks of fabrication.

5. Finally, and this is premised on the bellicose Russophobia of US authorities these days, which is an obvious given; why not simply inform the Russian authorities that Kirsan has been trading with ISIS (which is illegal under Russian law) and embarrass (by providing "evidence") the Putin government to prosecute their favorite space alien abductee?

It's just a steaming pile of - politically motivated - animal droppings.

The US's NATO ally, Turkey, has been exposed rather badly about the open secret of Daesh oil supply routes through Turkey. The Neo-Ottoman President, Recip T. Erdogan, and his own family (esp his son Bilal) are implicated. The expressions of support from the US cannot hide the careful distance that the US is now putting between themselves and Gollum in Ankara. I rather expect a similar fate for Erdogan as for Saakashvili. Some other regime might find him useful, but not his own countrymen.

It is shame that international chess is being used in this short-sighted manner for political reasons. But the hubris of Empire seems to know no bounds.
                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 6th December, 2015, 05:44 PM.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                X