2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 2 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 2 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM

Masters confirmed for Carnival Chess Tournament, 19-20-21 February 2016, $ 10,000 price guaranteed, 4 sections

Update: 6 december

Bator Sambuev, GM, 2567 FQE
    Alexandre Le Siège, GM 2537 FQE
    Thanh Nha Duong, IM, 2320 FQE
    Shawn Rodrigue Lemieux, FM, 2035 FQE

Section A (open) is FQE-FCE-FIDE rated.

Web site

Re : 2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 3 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM + 1 NM

Masters confirmed for Carnival Chess Tournament, 19-20-21 February 2016, $ 10,000 price guaranteed, 4 sections

Update: 9 december

Bator Sambuev, GM, 2567 FQE
    Alexandre Le Siège, GM 2537 FQE
    Thomas Roussel-Roozmon, GM, 2440 FQE
    Thanh Nha Duong, IM, 2320 FQE
    Steve Bolduc, NM, 2307 FQE
    Shawn Rodrigue Lemieux, FM, 2035 FQE

Section A (open) is FQE-FCE-FIDE rated.

Web site

Comment

Re: Re : 2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 3 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM + 1 NM

Bonjour, Charles! :)

I played in the 1973 Quebec Carnival Open, as my first ever weekend Swiss, and it was a very memorable event! Taking in the Carnival experience, with the parades, winter fun, along with the chess, and eating steak from a wooden plate in a tiny restaurant in the Vieux Ville, all made a wonderful impression! A young Jean Hebert triumphed over a large group of more experienced Masters, and this was the start of his meteoric rise, as he became Canadian champion in 1978, only five years later. I returned to the city to spectate the first two games of the 1989 Candidates Match between GM Kevin Spraggett and GM Artur Yusupov, and was invited by Kevin to a fantastic victory party following his tremendous win in game two!

I won't make it down to Quebec City in 2016 for the 50th anniversary tournament, as I am just returning to tournament chess after a five-year absence, and at this stage a weekend Swiss is a bit out of my range. Best wishes for a successful event in 2016!! I hope to return to Quebec to compete in the future.

What I was wondering, however, if your organization could put together, and list on your website, the champions of the previous 49 Carnival Opens. It is rare for any tournament to be renewed for so many consecutive years, and since this is a major fixture on the Quebec and Canadian chess calendars, it would be worthwhile to have available this historical perspective.

Salut!
      Frank Dixon
      Kingston

Comment

Re: 2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 2 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM

The champions are all listed here:

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/winqcarn.htm

It's the 50th anniversary tournament, but only the 44th tournament. It didn't happen in 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, and 2011.
        In 1973, there were 296 entries - but two years had more: 298 in 1975 and 323 in 1974.

Comment

Re: 2016 Carnival Chess Tournament (Quebec City), 2 GM + 1 IM + 1 FM

Thank you for the reference! :)

Comment

Working...
          X