Montreal - active tournament in support of chess in "inner-city" schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal - active tournament in support of chess in "inner-city" schools

Translated from the French at Seymour Gelet's request.

Hello everyone -

I am taking this opportunity to talk about a charity event that I am organizing (the poster should appear shortly on the FQE site if it's not already there). The tournament will be an "active" event (20m+5sec), and will start at 10 am on Saturday, January 30, at Collège de Brébeuf, 3200 Cote Ste-Catherine, Montreal. The College has provided the beautiful Chapel at no charge. The object is to raise funds to provide chess courses to less fortunate children - mostly in "inner-city" schools in Montreal. Personally - I have had the chance to benefit from chess lessons in school since my early childhood, and chess brought me a lot. The idea for the tournament came to me considering the current situation - not a single day goes by without the media discussing budget cuts that deprive schools of resources to support student development. This situation is even more dramatic in disadvantaged areas where the school is a protective factor for students. If the state can no longer provide adequate support, it is important that citizens' initiatives are taken to contribute to the educational success. Several studies have demonstrated the impacts of regular chess practice on school performance, especially in mathematics. Unfortunately, among the less fortunate, the costs associated with extracurricular activities are often the reason why students can not practice this activity yet it would be greatly beneficial. A charity tournament seems an appropriate way to raise funds to provide courses in these areas and thereby promote chess in Quebec.

The "official" entry fee is $20 ($30 at the door), but you can give more if you wish. I promise you a good atmosphere, door prizes and awards by section (which are improving daily). $1000 worth of various place prizes and door prizes.

I also want to thank the Chess and Math Association for their logistical and material support, Richard Bérubé for his help and Alexander Ber who will be the chief referee of the tournament.

If you want to get involved or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. I hope to see you there in large numbers and count on your promotional support. Moreover, there will be a section for unrated players, so if you have relatives who want to challenge other enthusiasts for a good cause, it is the opportunity!

Seymour Gelet

514-770-7762
    gelet.seymour@gmail.com

Re : Montreal - active tournament in support of chess in "inner-city" schools

Thank you so much Hugh for your excellent translation!

Otherwise, if you are interested to register you can do it online :

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/activi...rnoi-caritatif

or

Email me at gelet.seymour@gmail.com

Best regards,

Seymour
    Last edited by Seymour Gelet; Sunday, 13th December, 2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Re : Montreal - active tournament in support of chess in "inner-city" schools

Several of you asked me about the possibility to donate to the project, it is now possible :

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/activi...rnoi-caritatif

You can click on paypal «faire un don» to access.

Seymour

Comment

Working...
      X