Chris Mallon and Eric Van Dusen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Mallon and Eric Van Dusen

1. Is the OCA AGM being held this weekend at the Ontario Open?

2. Will the long-awaited report on Thorvardson and the Trillium grant be made public?

3. For those of us who can't attend the AGM, is there any reason why the Thorvardson/Trillium report can't be posted here?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: Chris Mallon and Eric Van Dusen

The OCA AGM has already been announced to be at the OYCC next weekend (May 23) in Kitchener at Kitchener City Hall.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

1. What Patrick said.
      2. As far as I know, no.
      3. Yes there is a good reason.... having not received any report, I can't post it.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
        The OCA AGM has already been announced to be at the OYCC next weekend (May 23) in Kitchener at Kitchener City Hall.
        Interesting, I must have missed the announcement. What time is the meeting?

The OCA website http://www.chessontario.com/ is moribund, to put it politely.

Comment

Re #2: So in other words, not a damn thing has happened. People are just going to be left to speculate about what happened with Thorvardson? People are just going to be left with their negative impressions of Thorvardson's term as president, and your term as well, Chris, because you failed to open the Trillium matter up for public scrutiny? $120,000 (from memory) spent on who knows what and we're all going to pretend it never happened? And yet the CFC continues to force Ontarians to pay OCA dues if they want to be CFC members. Why? What the hell does the OCA do that it deserves to have this kind of leverage? The CFC should cut the OCA loose and deal directly with its members. Let the OCA justify its existence if it expects people to fork over money.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            Re #2: So in other words, not a damn thing has happened. People are just going to be left to speculate about what happened with Thorvardson? People are just going to be left with their negative impressions of Thorvardson's term as president, and your term as well, Chris, because you failed to open the Trillium matter up for public scrutiny? $120,000 (from memory) spent on who knows what and we're all going to pretend it never happened? And yet the CFC continues to force Ontarians to pay OCA dues if they want to be CFC members. Why? What the hell does the OCA do that it deserves to have this kind of leverage? The CFC should cut the OCA loose and deal directly with its members. Let the OCA justify its existence if it expects people to fork over money.
            Last I heard, Eric was close to concluding the examination of the situation, but I don't know exactly where it stands nor what the parameters were...

Shouldn't this thread be on the CFC board? I suspect ChessTalk is more popular, but surely the CFC board is the best place for this?
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re #2: $120,000 (from memory) spent on who knows what and we're all going to pretend it never happened? And yet the CFC continues to force Ontarians to pay OCA dues if they want to be CFC members. Why? What the hell does the OCA do that it deserves to have this kind of leverage? The CFC should cut the OCA loose and deal directly with its members. Let the OCA justify its existence if it expects people to fork over money.
              None of that $120,000 came from OCA dues. Please don't mix the issues.

Half of the OCA Dues go to the four regional organizations who use the money for local championships trophies and rating fees. You wish to bankrupt the local organizations makes the situation worse. I assume that the half the OCA keeps is to be used for provincial championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Last I heard, Eric was close to concluding the examination of the situation, but I don't know exactly where it stands nor what the parameters were...
                But according to Chris it won't be made public. What the hell's the point in conducting a secret examination? Isn't the idea here to take a step toward restoring the OCA's credibility? Maybe Thorvardson's an effing hero; who's going to know? I don't know what the membership numbers are for Ontario but surely their total annual budget can't be more than a few thousand dollars. How freaking hard can it be to run a small not-for-profit organization in an open and above board manner?

Shouldn't this thread be on the CFC board? I suspect ChessTalk is more popular, but surely the CFC board is the best place for this?
                Sorry, Kerry, but I don't follow your comment. I suppose I might have posted there if I had really expected someone from the CFC to respond.

Comment

I understand your point, Eric, but it's hard not to mix issues when the same people are mixed into both sides. Also, just because the OCA goes doesn't mean that other Ontario chess organizations have to go. The CFC is already dealing directly with Northern Ontario, isn't it? Why can't it deal directly with SWOCL, GTCL and EOCA, too? These four Ontario organizations could have a joint council that would look after a small number of important things, like reviewing bids for, and awarding, fixture events.

Some might argue that the joint council would just be another OCA, but there would be some important differences, e.g.: (1) the joint council would have a miniscule budget (less temptation for the corrupt and ego-driven few); (2) it would be comprised only of the four regional heads who could communicate by email or phone; (3) it would be the tool of the four regions, not a self-important entity unto itself and NOT an affiliate of the CFC; (4) the four regional heads would be much closer to the ground (i.e. less chance of getting off on a tangent when the trust you'd be abusing belongs to the people you have to look in the eye every Thursday night at chess club).

I'm sure there could be other important differences but it's late and I'm tired. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Sorry, I just re-read the original posts. For question #2 I continued the "... at the AGM" thought process through, even though you didn't actually say that.

So what my answer meant was, as far as I know, it won't be made public at the AGM, because as far as I know, it isn't done. As I've previously stated, it WILL be made public when it IS done.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

1. Is the OCA AGM being held this weekend at the Ontario Open?

2. Will the long-awaited report on Thorvardson and the Trillium grant be made public?

3. For those of us who can't attend the AGM, is there any reason why the Thorvardson/Trillium report can't be posted here?

I'd like to say that I fully support all Peter's questions to be answered as soon as possible.
                      :(

Comment

Sorry, Kerry, but I don't follow your comment. I suppose I might have posted there if I had really expected someone from the CFC to respond.
                        J'adoube

I meant that this thread should be on the CFC board because I presume the CFC board is an archive of (some) of the discussions of the CFC business... but your point is well taken. Perhaps *this* board actually has a better chance of garnering some traction for the ideas you propose.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                        X