Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidates 2016, Moacow

From ChessBase's 'Express Report', Wayne:

And this is how the tiebreak scenario works – we confirmed everything with the Chief Arbiter and his assistants. Karjakin and Caruana play against each other and only one amongst the two have a chance to win. The one who wins the game becomes the champion and the Challenger.

However, in case of a draw it becomes complicated. Both Sergey and Fabiano reach 8.0/13. If Anand draws or loses to Svidler, then Sergey Karjakin is the champion because head to head is equal between him and Caruana, but Sergey has more wins, which is the second tiebreak.

However: if Vishy wins against Svidler then things change completely, because all three would be on 8.0/13. Then the three players are a group in head to head encounters, and Caruana has 2.5/4 (1.5 against Vishy and 1 point against Sergey) while Karjakin has 2/4 (1 each against Vishy and Caruana). Then Caruana wins the tournament.

Comment

If Karjakin v Caruana ends in a draw tomorrow before Svidler v Anand finishes. If you were Svidler would consider losing the game to take revenge that he beat you in World Cup Knock-out, of course Svidler should ask for a bit of bribe from Caruana and Anand if he does! or I guess Karjakin could bribe Svidler, Anand for a draw :p
      Last edited by Lee Hendon; Sunday, 27th March, 2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I think Svidler draws tomorrow, he won't get caught like he did against Anand before.
        Personally between Fabiano and Sergey I'm rooting for Sergey, he came in 2nd lowest in rating and left everything on the board, his wins have been nice and his losses showed he's willing to fight. Caruana has had multiple winning positions in the first half but couldn't close out the wins so he's had his chances. To take down Carlsen you need someone willing to fight.

Comment

Re: Candidates 2016, Moscow

Candidates 2016

March 28, 2016

Round Fourteen

The Half-Time Report

Nakamura-Aronian is an agreed draw.

At the press conference, both players seemed somewhat subdued. They said that for the first dozen moves they were each waiting for the other to make a plan.

In contrast to the violent end of their first game, this was a quiet ending with each player complimenting the other. Aronian found good lines for Nakamura and Hikaru said at one point that Aronian should have won the tournament!

Hikaru said that after the bad start he had no chance to win and he could only hope to play good moves after that.

Aronian said that in his first game at Wijk, against Michael Adams, it was a slow game from which he won a pawn and then realized that he was losing. So, he is still trying to learn from the Master of the Slow Move.

Round 14, March 28, 2016
          Nakamura, Hikaru – Aronian, Levon
          D38 QGD, Ragozin Variation

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. Qa4+ Nc6 6. e3 O-O 7. Qc2 Re8 8. Bd2 a6 9. a3 Bd6 10. h3 h6 11. Rd1 dxc4 12. Bxc4 e5 13. O-O Bd7 14. dxe5 Nxe5 15. Nxe5 Rxe5 16. f4 Bf5 17. Qb3 Re7 18. Qxb7 Bc2 19. Rc1 Rb8 20. Qxa6 Rxb2 21. Nd1 Rb6 22. Qa5 Bb3 23. Nf2 Qb8 24. Bxb3 Rxb3 25. a4 Qb7 26. Qf5 Bb4 27. Bxb4 Qxb4 28. e4 Nxe4 29. Nxe4 Qxe4 30. Qxe4 Rxe4 31. Rxc7 Rxa4 32. Kh2 Rb2 33. Rf3 ½-½

Shortly after that Giri-Topalov was a three-fold repetition, a draw.

Round 14, March 28, 2016
          Giri, Anish – Topalov, Veselin
          E01 Catalan, Closed

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 d5 4. Bg2 Be7 5. Nf3 O-O 6. Nc3 dxc4 7. Ne5 c5 8. dxc5 Qxd1+ 9. Nxd1 Bxc5 10. Nc3 Nc6 11. Nxc4 Rd8 12. Be3 Bxe3 13. Nxe3 Rb8 14. f4 e5 15. f5 Nd4 16. g4 b6 17. Rc1 Bb7 18. Bxb7 Rxb7 19. Kf2 h6 20. h4 g5 21. fxg6 fxg6 22. Rhg1 Ne6 23. g5 hxg5 24. hxg5 Nh7 25. Ne4 Kg7 26. Rc6 Nd4 27. Rc3 Ne6 28. Rc6 Nd4 29. Rc3 Ne6 ½-½

At the press conference Giri doesn’t let anyone get a word in edgewise at the first. He keeps interrupting Veselin, but that doesn't bother him at all.

Giri – Here I was confused.

Topalov – I was confused the whole tournament. (laughter)

How do you forgot this tournament? Topalov – “In twenty days I have Stavanger. I just want to remain above 2700. Everyone is preparing seriously.

I am not working much. Since my results were good, no one believed me. After this, now they will believe me!

Young players like Giri are working three times as hard as myself. My time has probably gone. I noticed when Karpov and Ljubo started to decline but now I think that it is happening to me. I don’t see a realistic possibility of fighting for the world championship.”

Anish – “I will go down in history for my record. There were a few games from which I had a good position but could not convert. I am afraid if I qualify next time, I might repeat my record of draws.

If you are going to make fun of me, like Nigel, make sure it is funny.”

Chessbomb remarks:

- Giri lost 4 rating points this tournament. And 67 invitations ...

- A record 14 draws for Giri

- Giri's favourite TV series. Drawtown Abbey

- favorite actress: drew Barrymore
          Last edited by Wayne Komer; Thursday, 31st March, 2016, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Great victory for Karjakin. Redemption for last time around when he came so close. It should be quite an encounter between Carlsen and Karjakin this Fall in New York. To date, Magnus has beaten Sergey by a 2:1 margin but match play is a different animal, especially when the World Championship is at stake.
            Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Chessgames.com has the classical score +3, -1, =15 in Carlsen's favour.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ezsea...sen+-+karjakin

Comment

Yes, Karjakin's time has come to face Carlsen. It should be an interesting match. Will his defensive resources hold against Magnus??

Comment

Candidates 2016

March 28, 2016

Round Fourteen (concluded)

Quiz Questions

1) What was the largest chess tournament in history? When and where was it played?

2) What player had the largest winning margin in the Candidates and in what year?
                  ______

The third game drawn of the day.

Round 14, March 28, 2016
                  Svidler, Peter – Anand, Vishy
                  A29 English, Bremen, Smyslov System

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. g3 Bb4 5. Bg2 O-O 6. O-O Re8 7. Ne1 d6 8. Nc2 Bc5 9. Rb1 a5 10. a3 Be6 11. d3 d5 12. cxd5 Nxd5 13. Ne3 Nce7 14. Ncxd5 Nxd5 15. Nc4 Bd6 16. d4 exd4 17. Nxd6 Qxd6 18. Qxd4 Qe7 19. e4 c5 20. Qd1 Nc7 21. Be3 b6 22. f4 Rad8 23. Qc2 Bd5 24. Rbe1 Bxe4 25. Bxc5 Bxc2 26. Bxe7 Rd7 27. Bh4 Rxe1 28. Rxe1 f6 29. g4 Nd5 30. Bg3 f5 31. gxf5 Nf6 32. Bf2 Rd6 33. Re6 Rd1+ 34. Re1 Rd6 35. Re6 ½-½

Dylan chairs the press conference between Svidler and Anand.

Svidler says he played six English Four Knights in this tournament. If he had to win today, he might have played another opening.

Vishy seems relaxed today and contributes to the analysis in a happy way.

Peter: If you give me three tempi here, I will be fine.

Vishy – I would like to score my first win against the English and giving you a couple of tempi won’t do it.

Peter: I’ve had much better positions against Vishy in my career and never won one of them.

Peter says that at the end of today there will be seven disappointed persons and one reasonably happy one. I didn’t play as well as Vishy or the two people still playing. I had chances. In the first half I had one bad position I lost to Vishy and five good positions, none of which I had won. In the second half I had to scrap in every game. There is this feeling that I could have done better.

Dylan: Vishy, Topalov said that he probably is not in competition for the World Title anymore.

Vishy: The tournament was positive. I had a very good run last year but then I hit a wall. On the one hand I am satisfied, but on the other, I have a sense of having missed an opportunity. There are some limitations with age now. You wonder why you are hitting a wall? You have to factor in age. There are four guys here who are half my age. Four of them were not born when I won the World Junior. I would feel better if Boris was around!

Peter: I am deputizing for him.
                  ______

Round 14, March 28, 2016
                  Karjakin, Sergey – Caruana, Fabiano
                  B67 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer, Rauzer Attack

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2 a6 8. O-O-O Bd7 9. f4 h6 10. Bh4 b5 11. Bxf6 gxf6 12. f5 Qb6 13. fxe6 fxe6 14. Nxc6 Qxc6 15. Bd3 h5 16. Kb1 b4 17. Ne2 Qc5 18. Rhf1 Bh6 19. Qe1 a5 20. b3 Rg8 21. g3 Ke7 22. Bc4 Be3 23. Rf3 Rg4 24. Qf1 Rf8 25. Nf4 Bxf4 26. Rxf4 a4 27. bxa4 Bxa4 28. Qd3 Bc6 29. Bb3 Rg5 30. e5 Rxe5 31. Rc4 Rd5 32. Qe2 Qb6 33. Rh4 Re5 34. Qd3 Bg2 35. Rd4 d5 36. Qd2 Re4 37. Rxd5 exd5 38. Qxd5 Qc7 39. Qf5 Rf7 40. Bxf7 Qe5 41. Rd7+ Kf8 42. Rd8+ 1-0

Fabiano went for the aggressive but risky Richter-Rauzer Attack of the Sicilian Defence, saying he booked up on games by Li Chao beforehand. As they near the time control, Fabiano is on the ropes. The commentators say that Sergey’s experience is jelling at the right time, everything has come together; he is at his prime. Fabiano will have nightmares about 36…Re4 for some time to come.

Finally, the game is over. Caruana has resigned and a cheer goes up in the auditorium. Sergey Karjakin is the official challenger.

Dylan thought it was an exciting tournament. Up until the last round, the final winner was not clear.

Nepo said that Caruana’s Rauzer Sicilian was the right choice and if it wasn’t for Re4 the result might be different because he was outplaying Sergey.
                  _______

The press conference was quite friendly.

Caruana: I saved some truly awful positions in this tournament and also saved some positions for my opponents too.

Karjakin: It was a good tournament. Everyone was fighting. In a tie-break, it should first be games against each other and then second, they should play a tie-break match.
                  _____

- Congratulations to Sergei Karjakin and it will be an interesting WC match, players being same age and Karjakin's opening preparation being really top notch

- Magnus is happy that Karja win as NY audience will boo him
                  _______

Nepo and Dylan:

Giri never was in any real trouble in this tournament. Karjakin did not miss any chances to take advantage of his opportunities. That separated him from everyone else.

Aronian always starts well and then, repeatedly, he does not well after. Topalov said that his time is past. Chess is a game of young people these days.

Anand and Gelfand stand out because, even though they are in their mid-forties, they can compete at a high level, but these are exceptions.

Giri and Caruana are young men that have not yet entered their primes.

Peter Svidler at 39 is one of the great talents of the last 20 years. He was in a lot of games here. Maybe he can come back again. Nakamura bounced back from -2. A terrible start and perhaps the incident with Aronian at the first had some effect. Nakamura is in his prime. He clearly prepares very hard.

Giri was only worse once in the tournament against Caruana. He messed up several of his chances.

Levon seemed to be in good shape here. A good first half and then worse in the second half. The loss against Svidler affected him. If he wins the game against Karjakin that changes everything in the tournament. He seems to have the most potential of the players. He deserves to play a World Champion match (Nepo). I disagree, he has to win his way in (Dylan).

Final Standing

Karjakin 8.5
                  Caruana 7.5
                  Anand 7.5
                  Nakamura 7
                  Aronian 7
                  Giri 7
                  Svidler 7
                  Topalov 4.5

Answers to the Quiz Questions

If they announced the results, I missed them. The probable answers:

1) The USSR Trades Union chess championships (Leningrad?) in 1935-6 with 700,000 entrants
                  2) Bobby Fischer in 1970, beating Taimanov 6-0, Larsen 6-0 and Petrosian in 1971, 6.5-2.5.

(answers subject to verification)
                  Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                    Chessgames.com has the classical score +3, -1, =15 in Carlsen's favour.
                    Yes, a slight edge to Carlsen, but it might be pointed out that his score is slightly lower than expected; in other words, he has lost rating points to Karjakin. A ray of hope for the Ukrainian/Russian!

Comment

Overall, this seems to have been a very successful tournament for FIDE, with no controversies, and 14 decisive games out of 56, or 25 per cent. Most of the draws were hard-fought, however, with many very long games.

Remarkably, seven of the eight Candidates finished with 50 per cent or higher, and only GM Topalov was minus, with 4.5/14, or minus five!

The decisive game in round 14, with the new challenger GM Karjakin winning in wonderful combinative style against GM Caruana, will be played over for years. I am looking forward to learning from this game!

Should be a fantastic World Championship match, set in the U.S.!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                        Yes, a slight edge to Carlsen, but it might be pointed out that his score is slightly lower than expected; in other words, he has lost rating points to Karjakin. A ray of hope for the Ukrainian/Russian!
                        I have a lot of respect for Anand, but I am really thankful that there isn't another Carlsen-Anand match.

Despite Anand's good performance in the Candidates, I think it is time for one of the young guns to challenge Carlsen. Karjakin showed nerves of steel in the final round (I was very impressed by him in the post-game analysis) and I think Caruana and Nakamura are tantalizingly close but not quite up to the challenge yet.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Candidates 2016

March 28, 2016

Interview with Sergey on his Candidates victory at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNHlT9ns-4

I believe he said that his seconds/coaches were:

Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Alexander Motylev, Vladimir Potkin and Yuri Dokhoian.
                          _________

Tarjei J. Svensen had this tweet today:

Karjakin won 100,000 Euro in Norway Chess '13, 100,000 in '14, 107,000 in FIDE World Cup '15 now 95,000 in the Moscow Candidates: for a sum of €402,000.
                          Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Sergey for this wonderful tournament victory. It is a long awaited moment for Russia and for the people who believed in him since his youth. The new generation took over and this tournament proved it best - Caruana played excellent chess, Giri finished undefeated (since Topalov did it in 2005 in the same format!), and Nakamura was the only one to score a 2:0. It was expected, because they proved the most consistent players over the last year or so.
                            It is good for chess, as these players (along with Magnus) seem to bring some "coolness" to the game.

Comment

Candidates 2016, Moscow

April 2, 2016

There is a pictorial report on the Candidates closing ceremony by Amruta Mokal:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/candida...mony-revisited

I found several photos to be of interest but two in particular, the ones with these captions:

1) Is Deputy Chief Arbiter Hal Bond trying to take a selfie with Vishy?! Hal has been the deputy chief chief arbiter for many important events like 2014 Candidates, World Championships 2008 and many more. He was also the chief arbiter in the 2012 Women's World Championship in Khanty Mansiysk, Russia.

2) Darya Tkachenko is a Ukrainian draughts player, FMJD (International Draughts association) Grand Master, multiple times World champion in international draughts (2005, 2006, 2008, 2011) and two-times European champion in international draughts (2004, 2006). She was here to support Karjakin at the event
                              ________

Darya is 32 years old but looks ten years younger

There is also a photo of Hal chatting with Hikaru and Kris, over a brew, at the post-ceremony party at:

http://www.chess-news.ru/node/21247

Comment

Vishy and Hal joined the CB April Fool's tradition? Unless FIDE recently became big fans of cell phones.

Comment

Working...
                                X