"Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Petty officials are so petty and officious.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Re: "Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Yes, a sad example of petty officialdom. I hope she gets both tickets overturned. If she's a law student perhaps she can, on her own, subpoena the petty officialdom's records on how many times this rail holding bylaw has been enforced. If it hasn't been enforced then that would underscore the pettiness and maliciousness of the incident.

On the positive side, at least this incident didn't happen in a community policed by the RCMP. In my opinion, the RCMP's goings-on at the Braidwood inquiry are a disgrace for all of us.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      Yes, a sad example of petty officialdom. I hope she gets both tickets overturned. If she's a law student perhaps she can, on her own, subpoena the petty officialdom's records on how many times this rail holding bylaw has been enforced. If it hasn't been enforced then that would underscore the pettiness and maliciousness of the incident.
      The charge for obstruction sounds serious. I'd get a lawyer for that one.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I can't read it all because some petty advertising person has put an Air Canada ad in the middle of the article that can't be closed or moved.

Seems plenty petty. However, sometimes there are reasons for these things, such as no skateboards in the subway, I unfortunately went down like a ton of bricks once holding a $7000 saxophone it its case because some inept skateboarder let his board get away from him to where it sailed right under my feet from behind. He was quite concerned, about his board that was. My first instinct was not pleasant but I managed to hold back because of his young age.

Comment

Yes, a sad example of petty officialdom. I hope she gets both tickets overturned.
          If she had of kept her mouth shut and not replied "I don't have three hands.” , she probably would not have been fined and confined.

The last thing that 'cops' want to hear is sarcasm when they are being paid to perform a job. Sarcasm is worse than saying 'NO' to a cop. At least by saying no, , they might ask why not. A smart ass answer gets smart ass treatment.

Sorry , but she gets what she deserves. --- Just my opinion on the limited facts presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            I can't read it all because some petty advertising person has put an Air Canada ad in the middle of the article that can't be closed or moved.
            The advertiser's ad cannot be removed, cut, deleted or moved. But the simple solution takes 2 seconds and the entire newspaper column can be read. Simply refresh the page by pressing the F5 key at the top of your keyboard. ( or again if necessary )

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
              If she had of kept her mouth shut and not replied "I don't have three hands.” , she probably would not have been fined and confined.

The last thing that 'cops' want to hear is sarcasm when they are being paid to perform a job. Sarcasm is worse than saying 'NO' to a cop. At least by saying no, , they might ask why not. A smart ass answer gets smart ass treatment.

Sorry , but she gets what she deserves. --- Just my opinion on the limited facts presented.
              I hear you, Anthony, and I agree that all of us have only the newspaper's hopefully unbiased account to go on (trusting that source is probably our first mistake). However, rudeness and sarcasm shouldn't be crimes in a free society. Police have to put up with a lot of abuse, probably 99%+ of it unwarranted. But a thick skin should be a job requirement for an aspiring police officer and a young woman's sarcasm shouldn't get her handcuffed and placed in a holding cell (whatever that is) just for being a smartass.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Last time I checked, there were 609 comments on the G&M website, about 99% regarding the police as heavy-handed. (Nope, I didn't read all 609, just a sample.)

Comment

The news item made John Dvorak's blog, and rather quickly:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/05/1...rail/#comments

so now Bela is Famous.

What is it now about Canadian cops, Eastern Europeans, and what they're holding in their hands?
                  -- kill a Pole who held a stapler
                  -- take down an 83-year-old Czech (named Smejkal !) holding his walking cane
                  http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
                  -- arrest an ex-Soviet woman for not holding the handrail.

... and maybe more. I'm not an assiduous news-follower.

Did * drive them mad and make them do it? Is this series of coincidences the proof sought through the ages that * exists? Does * have a wicked sense of humour?

Is there going to be a defence fund?

Is there any connection between these tickets and the increase in the quota of parking tickets as revealed by the Montreal Brotherhood of Police (and denied by the politicos / administration) ?

I would think that talking to a person unexpectedly on an escalator would be more dangerous than that person not holding the rubber hand rail.

As an ex-Soviet, Bela might have experienced the Moscow subway. There they determined the speed of the escalators by calculating on the peak required throughput. So their escalators go about twice as fast as what we're used to here in North America (or at least they did in the 1980s). From that point of view, the concept that you need to hold onto the handrail to be safe in the Montreal Metro is laughable.
                  Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Monday, 18th May, 2009, 01:27 PM. Reason: typo; add quota, safety, Moscow

Comment

However, rudeness and sarcasm shouldn't be crimes in a free society.
                    Agreed. ( exept in a court of law - contempt )

Perhaps we all should be looking at why the police are enforcing the handrail rule. Is it for safety, or really to avoid a possible lawsuit.

In any case, the best answer to try to get people to hold the handrail might be through an audio system with video surveilance. --- Keeps people employed in the electronics field too.

Comment

I need to re-read 1984...

Comment

This is all lovely but I wonder what the statistics are for people injured on the escalators on the Montreal subway system and what people would expect the system to do if they knew those statistics? Or are we just to consider those injuries a necessary sacrifice to a free society?

Comment

What is a penalty for squeezing into a subway car with almost closed doors in Montreal? Life imprisonment

Comment

No but you get to keep whatever you manage to break or injure as a parting prize. No lawsuits please.

Comment

I think we're seeing some perspectives here of people who grew up in cultures where officials are in general more heavy handed and this kind of police/army bahaviour is almost expected. In Canada, of course, these kind of actions are unacceptable and the police will be lucky to avoid an expensive lawsuit on this.

I think in Canada we have every right not to hold a handrail ( it's not reckless at all by any definition ) and we have a right to expect decency of behaviour from police men and women. Unfortunately, besides the indecency of the actions against Bela we the taxpayer can only end up paying for any lawsuits as the policeman in question gets a paid leave until he finds out if he keeps his job.

But thank god in Canada most of us have no acceptability of this kind of police action at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X