X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn Sacrifice (full movie) on YouTube

Original English version, with Portuguese subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXQjrSgmCc
    Last edited by Louis Morin; Tuesday, 29th December, 2015, 08:27 PM.

Re: Pawn Sacrifice (full movie) on YouTube

Pawn Sacrifice Movie on YouTube

December 29, 2015

I have just watched the movie online and when reading the end credits saw this:

The Producers Wish to Thank

The Dick Cavett Show
    Francine Larivee Interface
    University of Montreal
    University of Toronto Archives
    FIDE
    BBC News

and five other sources.

My question is what did U of M and U of T contribute to the film?

Comment

Re: Pawn Sacrifice (full movie) on YouTube

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      Original English version, with Portuguese subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhXQjrSgmCc
      360p is the max resolution - probably ok for viewing on a PC. I imagine it will be taken down soon enough by the Youtoob video police...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Chess in film and television (and photography)

I dunno if others feel this way but it felt like I was watching a mental illness film. A combination of factors - an active mother who was under (constant?) surveillance by the political police, a truncated education at the junior high school level, an obsession for chess and nothing else, an entanglement in Cold War politics, an involvement in a sectarian (and anti-Semitic) religious organization, providing him with a heterogeneous mixture of religious fundamentalist, bigoted, quasi-conspiritorial, and sectarian views, lacking the wherewithal to lead a more balanced life, and the people around him pandering to his obstinate selfishness and narcissism, (for their own, possibly, selfish reasons) etc., etc. - all these leading to the life, and death, of the tragic character by the name of Bobby Fischer.

The film made me think of all those people who may have, or did, helped Fischer along the way and then were repulsed by this or that action of his. I bet there were plenty.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 30th December, 2015, 02:03 PM.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Chess in film and television (and photography)

Pawn Sacrifice

December 30, 2015

I thought Tobey Maguire was an excellent Bobby Fischer. Liev Schreiber did a creditable job as Boris Spassky. I had forgotten that Paul Marshall (Michael Stuhlbarg) was the name of Fischer’s lawyer and I never would have been able to put Geller and Nei as the names of Spassky’s seconds from watching the movie. I suppose that Ivanovich was just a fictional player. I can’t think who he was meant to represent.

There were three stunt men, which even in a movie about chess, should not surprise me because in Julie and Julia (2009), a movie about cooking, there were nine stunt persons.

Comment

Working...
          X