CYCC and Open in Vancouver 16 years ago (1999)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC and Open in Vancouver 16 years ago (1999)

Making some order in my collection of EnPassants and other magazines, found one with reports on the sub.

That was the first time CYCC organized by the CFC (The report does not mention involvement of Echecs et Maths for this particular tournament.) The final stage attracted ~100 players, while ~1500 played in qualifying tournaments.

The Open trophy was won by K.Spraggett. Though he shared 1-2 places with G.Orlov - 9.5/11. Does anybody know/remember the tie-break system used in the tournament?

The tournaments were held in July, and reported in August issue (#157)

Re: CYCC and Open in Vancouver 16 years ago (1999)

My memory isn't awesome at times, but I believe this was in Richmond?! I think Peter Stockhausen was the Chief Organizer, and the playing hall had great lighting. Mr.Orlov had just published an opening book "something Knights something", and Mr.Spraggett was very impressive. I remember chatting with him by the hotel pool one afternoon, and I was impressed with how calm and laid back he was, just a few hours before demolishing his next opponent. One of my favorite COs ever (I did better than my "usual" 50%!)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      My memory isn't awesome at times, but I believe this was in Richmond?! ... the playing hall had great lighting....
      (I did better than my "usual" 50%!)
      Delta Pacific Conference and Resort Centre in Richmond, BC.

42. A.M. with 7/11, what gave you about ~80 rating points :)

Comment

I also played (6.5/11 - the last 11-round Open), and it was in Richmond at the Delta Pacific Resort (possibly the Sandman now - or the hotel next to it). I don't remember which tiebreak system was used. Knut Neven wrote the report - maybe he would know.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          My memory isn't awesome at times, but I believe this was in Richmond?! I think Peter Stockhausen was the Chief Organizer, and the playing hall had great lighting. Mr.Orlov had just published an opening book "something Knights something", and Mr.Spraggett was very impressive. I remember chatting with him by the hotel pool one afternoon, and I was impressed with how calm and laid back he was, just a few hours before demolishing his next opponent. One of my favorite COs ever (I did better than my "usual" 50%!)
          The book was "The Two Knights Tango" I believe.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X