X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Predictions

Here's my predictions for 2016:

Chess predictions:

1. Magnus Carlsen will be number one on FIDE's top player list at the end of 2016;

2. CFC members will be able to make use of a chess server in some way that's a benefit of their membership;

3. Canada will have at least one female 2016 WYCC champion;

4. At least one Canadian grandmaster who didn't play any CFC rated games in 2015 will do so in 2016;

5. There will be at least one Canadian Bughouse Chess tournament with a projected first prize of at least $300.

Non-chess predictions:

6. Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic Party's candidate for US President;

7. Donald Trump will be elected US President;

8. The Syrian civil war will not be over by the end of 2016, nor will ISIS be driven from Iraq by then;

9. The Canadian dollar will be below 65 cents US at the end of 2016;

10. Montreal will win the Stanley Cup.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 1st January, 2016, 02:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: 2016 Predictions

Happy New year Kevin.

I'll buy in on your chess predictions, but I will disagree on Trump, the dollar and Montreal.

Comment

My Top 10 2016 Predictions
      =======================

10. Vladimir Putin will attempt to further demonstrate his manhood by entering every event in the 2016 Summer Olympics... but has to withdraw when trying to do the splits in his Women's Gymnastics floor routine.

9. World stock markets will crash 60% when China builds a Great Dome of China which totally isolates it from the rest of the world. Planes flying over the dome and peering inside it's clear shell will show the Chinese people using American dollars as rolling paper for marijuana spliffs.

8. Pope Francis continues his liberal tendencies, having an affair with Justin Bieber.

7. Global warming will finally melt the permafrost in the Arctic, releasing not just methane but also old flip-phones, floppy disks and VHS movie tapes from the last time man was in this situation thousands of years ago.

6. Google, Microsoft, Apple and Amazon will merge to become one huge company whose main product will be devices that search the internet and find the most relevant malware to match a customer's preferences, which they deliver to the customer's front door using drones and markup the price by 1000%, knowing people will pay because it is "hip" to do so.

5. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will again be abducted by aliens, who now tell him that he misinterpreted them the previous time and it was actually Tiddlywinks that they passed on to humanity eons ago, not chess.

4. There will be more pictures from the Mars Rover found to contain statues, ladies, rats and.... oh, yes, rocks.

3. Donald Trump does not win the Republican nomination, and when it's apparent he's going to lose, he runs as an Independant for President. He hires Arnold Schwarzenegger as his VP running mate, and they win the election in a landslide with their slogan "We gonna do dis and dat and the uder ting to make America Great Again."

2. Due to bad publicity from the movie "Concussion", the NFL will change it's name to the NFFL: National Flag Football League. Tackling will become a distant memory, and as a bonus, women will make up 50% of each team's roster -- the league will merge with the Lingerie Football League ( youtube.com/watch?v=AfkKjATCu4E ).

... and the Number 1 Prediction for 2016:

1. The cast of Seinfeld will reunite to bring the show back to TV, with a slight name change: "Senor Seinfeld". The reason for the name change becomes apparent on the pilot episode: Seinfeld, George Costanza, Elaine Bennis and Cosmo Kramer (all still single in their 50's) cross over into Mexico to try their luck as new Mexican immigrants, since they just could not achieve the American dream. George is now the relaxed comedian making big money, doing nightclubs in Mexican tourist resorts. Seinfeld goes from job to job, not able to hold any of them, and constantly frets over his failures with women. Elaine gets a secretarial job with Peterson's Mexican subsidiary, while Kramer starts Kramexico Enterprises and hires an intern.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kevin Pacey;100534]Here's my predictions for 2016:

7. Donald Trump will be elected US president:

If you truly believe that to be the case, Kevin, you can currently get 6 to 1 odds. (:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/...on-2016/winner

Comment

I made my predictions with a light heart, to give chesstalkers something extra for entertainment at the the start of 2016, since my lot is not to be a prophet. It seems like The Donald will go far in the race, whatever happens.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
          X