2016 New Year's Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 New Year's Resolutions

Aside from my usual New Year's resolutions that are handy to fall back on (improve my chess ratings, lose weight and save cash), for 2016 here are three special resolutions:

1. Donate blood at least twice (I have a rare blood type);

2. Try to watch less of CNN news on TV (it's going to be especially repetitive in 2016, in terms of topics);

3. Find the time to play chess and/or chess variants at least once this year on the internet or by email (I played chess a bit that way long ago with a dial-up connection, and I was disheartened repeatedly).
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: 2016 New Year's Resolutions

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Aside from my usual New Year's resolutions that are handy to fall back on (improve my chess ratings, lose weight and save cash), for 2016 here are three special resolutions:

1. Donate blood at least twice (I have a rare blood type);

2. Try to watch less of CNN news on TV (it's going to be especially repetitive in 2016, in terms of topics);

3. Find the time to play chess and/or chess variants at least once this year on the internet or by email (I played chess a bit that way long ago with a dial-up connection, and I was disheartened repeatedly).

Hi Kevin,

One thing you could try in 2016 (and this would help with your "usual" resolution to lose weight) would be to play a match of 7x7 Ping-Pong Chess. Here is the description, where I use the example of you playing Tom O'Donnell:

7x7 PING-PONG CHESS
    ==============

This is a game that combines the physical exercise of ping-pong with the mental work of chess.

We'll use the case of Kevin Pacey as White and Tom O'Donnell as Black in the chess game.

Play begins with each player making their first 8 moves of a standard chess game. They can either play this 8 move opening by choice, or have the first 8 moves chosen randomly from an encyclopedia of chess openings (the latter would add variety to the chess portion by making any opening, even gambits, equally likely to occur).

When it comes to Kevin's 9th move, play moves briefly to the ping-pong table, where Kevin gets to serve for a best-of-7 point set. That is, each point of this set begins with Kevin serving to Tom. The first player to win 4 points wins that set.

The winner of the ping-pong set gets to make the next move in the chess game. So if Tom were to win the ping-pong set 4-3, he would move next in the chess game even though he's playing the Black pieces.

Once Tom has moved (in this example), whoever lost the previous ping-pong set gets to serve all the points of the next ping-pong set. So Kevin would again get to serve, and again it's a best-of-7 points.

If Tom again wins the ping-pong set, he gets to move again in the chess game. If his previous move was to check Kevin's King, Tom can now capture Kevin's King and win this match. Yes: capturing the King is legal and wins the game.

Whenever a player wins 2 successive ping-pong sets and thus gets to move twice in a row in the chess game (or even 3 times in a row depending on who moved last before the 2 ping-pong sets happened), the opposing player gets to make a chess move reply without having to win a ping-pong set.

So in this example, Tom won the first two ping-pong sets and got to make two chess moves in a row (actually, three: his 8th move as Black to finish the opening, then a 9th move because he won the first ping-pong set, then a 10th move because he won the next ping-pong set). But then Kevin is allowed to make a chess move without winning a ping-pong set.

Now because Kevin made the last chess move, the next ping-pong set has Tom serving to Kevin. In other words, whoever made the last chess move is the player receiving serve in the subsequent ping-pong best-of-seven-points set.

Play continues like this until someone has won the chess game.

Because the chess game can end quickly due to one player getting 2 or even 3 moves in a row (the example was given of checking and then capturing the King which in this game is legal), a Match can be made to be Best of 7 Games, where "Game" means playing a single chess / ping-pong game as described above until there is a winner. This means that each Game must have a winner, there can be no draws -- or else a draw doesn't count for anything, and the players switch chess colors and resume the Match. The latter would mean a best-of-7 Match could actually have more than 7 games played. Hopefully there would be nothing to compare to the 1985 Karpov-Kasparov WC where draws also counted for nothing!

The name 7x7 Ping-Pong Chess derives from each ping-pong set being best-of-7 points, and the total Match is best-of-7 decisive Games. There could be quite a lot of ping-pong involved if neither player could win back-to-back chess moves for most of a game.

A Game scoresheet would record the scores of each ping pong set, with White's score on the left and Black's score on the right, and might look like this:

[Event: 7x7 Ping Pong Chess]
    [White: Kevin Pacey]
    [Black: Tom O'Donnell]
    [Opening: French Defense, Winawer]

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.exd5 exd5 5.Bd3 Nc6 6.Nge2 Nge7 7.0-0 0-0 8.Bf4 Bf5 [3-4] 9... Bxd3 [3-4] 10... Bg6 9.Bxc7 [4-0] 10.Bxd8 [3-4] 11... Raxd8 etc. etc.

I do hope if you play such a Match that you will report results to us here. And also your weight loss!
    Last edited by Paul Bonham; Friday, 1st January, 2016, 05:37 AM. Reason: last paragraph added
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Every chess player should resolve in 2016 to seek classic Meat Loaf status, 'Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad'. (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

Of course, that's something that neither Kramnik, Anand, nor Carlsen have been able to obtain with winning percentages, courtesy of chessgames.com, of 61.5%, 61.3%, and 61.9% respectively. Two out of three is obviously damn good! (:

Comment

* To play through all games from subscribed chess magazines on a real board :)
        ** To solve all puzzles from same magazines without setting up positions on a real board :)

Comment

1. Publish my top 50 games.
          2. Stop sac'n my B on move 3.
          3 ...more bacon.

Comment

I have zero of your games in my Canadian games database - how can I publish your top 50? :-)

Comment

Working...
            X