Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Talk literary awards

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Vlad Drkulec: " ... If you want to get rid of me stop scaring off my replacements."

Don't rush to judgment! On this thread anyway, my vote SO FAR goes to the following contribution by Vlad "the Impaler" Drkulec ...

But please. Let's give Sid and others a chance. There's always the possibility of some really, really inane remark that may evoke another gem from our beleaguered, but happily mischievous, CFC President.
    Hopefully Sid will settle down now that I have found a way to post again. The CFC board is under no compulsion to descend into the muck like chesstalk. I make no apologies for preventing that.

Comment

Re: Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Resp

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Its unfortunate what happened with Kirsan..
      While I expect a Kasparov presidency would have been a complete fiasco in the vein of the GMA and PCA, what happened to Kirsan is that he's a criminal. There's nothing "unfortunate" about it, no matter how much he did for chess.

Comment

Re: Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Resp

I don't what GM Kasparov would have been able to accomplish having not to sail into the wind ...but I have a strong sense it could have been on many levels prosperous fresh start for FIDE. GMA & PCA didn't have the roots as that of FIDE. Perhaps, not a fair comparison?

But David, those who are warned of such a criminal as Kirsan, as Drkulec surly was, then disregard those warnings, go ahead and support such a criminal as leading figure of national chess bodies such as the Chess Federation of Canada ... that character needs to be removed from representing our national interest(s).

We are better than that!

Thank goodness Sid Belzberg has repeatedly taken the time needed to painfully illustrate just how much so.

Enough already with those how persist to look the other way.

We are better than that!

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          While I expect a Kasparov presidency would have been a complete fiasco in the vein of the GMA and PCA, what happened to Kirsan is that he's a criminal. There's nothing "unfortunate" about it, no matter how much he did for chess.
          It probably would have been worse than the GMA and PCA.

No one is a criminal until they are convicted in a court of law or at least on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by some lonely guy
            as Drkulec surly was
            If I was posting on chesstalk of course I was surly.

Comment

It probably would have been worse than the GMA and PCA.
              That did not stop him to be part of the 2015 Grand chess tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drukelec
                That said, FIDE continues forward without him for now.
                Not really, take a look at the FIDE website. Still says he is president as Kirsan has stated himself. The idea that the US Treasury Department would find anything less then in his absolute divorce and complete dissociation from this organization acceptable is sheer folly.

http://FIDE.com

Originally posted by Vlad Drukelec
                No one is a criminal until they are convicted in a court of law or at least on YouTube.
                Sorry, wrong again sweetheart. Specially designated Nationals are considered criminals by the United States Government.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...s/default.aspx

As part of its enforcement efforts, OFAC publishes a list of individuals and companies owned or controlled by, or acting for or on behalf of, targeted countries. It also lists individuals, groups, and entities, such as terrorists and narcotics traffickers designated under programs that are not country-specific. Collectively, such individuals and companies are called "Specially Designated Nationals" or "SDNs." Their assets are blocked and U.S. persons are generally prohibited from dealing with them. Click here for more information on Treasury's Sanctions Programs.
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Tuesday, 26th January, 2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

The situation is explained on the FIDE website by Jorge Vega the Continental president of FIDE America.

Dear All,

I have read more than once, Mr. Filatov´s interview published on FIDE web site, and besides giving an excellent view of Russian chess and the tasks he faces as President of the RCF, he gives his personal point of view about FIDE and its future about which I would like to comment.

Before making any comments, it is necessary to speak about the origin of the situation created by the sanctions imposed by the US Treasury Department on the FIDE President, forbidding US citizens or companies having any economic dealing with him and freezing all his assets in the USA. Mr Iljumzjinov has filed a lawsuit against the US Treasury Department actions and shall fight against the sanctions in the US courts, claiming USD 20 billion for the damage done to his prestige.

Under these circumstances, at the 4Q Presidential Board meeting held at Athens in December 2015, Mr. Ilyumzhinov announced that he was asking to temporary step down, transferring all his functions in FIDE to the Deputy President according to FIDE Statutes. This was in order to protect FIDE and to have time to deal with the USA sanctions. His proposal was almost unanimously accepted by the Presidential Board and it was published on the FIDE web site.

First of all I agree with Mr. Filatov when he says that it will be very difficult for Mr. Ilyumzhinov to win the case. Personally, I believe that it will take a long time to reach a final decision, whatever it might be. I also agree with Mr. Filatov when he says that the sanctions are a serious blow to FIDE regarding the position of potential sponsors.

Then comes the question of the actual situation. As nothing has changed and the sanctions remain in force, I think the situation remains the same. So there is no reason to reverse the Athens PB decision, nor is it necessary to call for a vote to reverse it. I consider that at the moment the sanctions are lifted, Mr. Ilyumzhinov will recover all the powers as FIDE President.

Another question is what may happen in 2018. Mr. Filatov has said that he is not interested in running as FIDE President. Mr. Makropoulos, who is an excellent Chief of Staff, has said the same. Mr. Filatov also analyses the possibility that two Russian GMs may run in the 2018 Presidential race. I agree that although elections may seem very far off, it is necessary to think about it and be prepared well in advance. I am sure and shall not be surprised if other names are mentioned.

I appreciate very much the work Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done in the past as FIDE President, I cannot forget how he rescued FIDE from its financial problems in 1995 and how much he has spent from his own pocket for chess, nevertheless our main obligation is with FIDE as an institution and we must protect it from anything that may harm its work.

Jorge Vega

Continental President for America
                  Member of the Presidential Board

Comment

The situation is explained on the FIDE website by Jorge Vega the Continental president of FIDE America.

Dear All,

I have read more than once, Mr. Filatov´s interview published on FIDE web site, and besides giving an excellent view of Russian chess and the tasks he faces as President of the RCF, he gives his personal point of view about FIDE and its future about which I would like to comment.

Before making any comments, it is necessary to speak about the origin of the situation created by the sanctions imposed by the US Treasury Department on the FIDE President, forbidding US citizens or companies having any economic dealing with him and freezing all his assets in the USA. Mr Iljumzjinov has filed a lawsuit against the US Treasury Department actions and shall fight against the sanctions in the US courts, claiming USD 20 billion for the damage done to his prestige.

Under these circumstances, at the 4Q Presidential Board meeting held at Athens in December 2015, Mr. Ilyumzhinov announced that he was asking to temporary step down, transferring all his functions in FIDE to the Deputy President according to FIDE Statutes. This was in order to protect FIDE and to have time to deal with the USA sanctions. His proposal was almost unanimously accepted by the Presidential Board and it was published on the FIDE web site.

First of all I agree with Mr. Filatov when he says that it will be very difficult for Mr. Ilyumzhinov to win the case. Personally, I believe that it will take a long time to reach a final decision, whatever it might be. I also agree with Mr. Filatov when he says that the sanctions are a serious blow to FIDE regarding the position of potential sponsors.

Then comes the question of the actual situation. As nothing has changed and the sanctions remain in force, I think the situation remains the same. So there is no reason to reverse the Athens PB decision, nor is it necessary to call for a vote to reverse it. I consider that at the moment the sanctions are lifted, Mr. Ilyumzhinov will recover all the powers as FIDE President.

Another question is what may happen in 2018. Mr. Filatov has said that he is not interested in running as FIDE President. Mr. Makropoulos, who is an excellent Chief of Staff, has said the same. Mr. Filatov also analyses the possibility that two Russian GMs may run in the 2018 Presidential race. I agree that although elections may seem very far off, it is necessary to think about it and be prepared well in advance. I am sure and shall not be surprised if other names are mentioned.

I appreciate very much the work Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done in the past as FIDE President, I cannot forget how he rescued FIDE from its financial problems in 1995 and how much he has spent from his own pocket for chess, nevertheless our main obligation is with FIDE as an institution and we must protect it from anything that may harm its work.

Jorge Vega

Originally posted by Jorge Vega per Vlad Drkulec
                    at the moment the sanctions are lifted, Mr. Ilyumzhinov will recover all the powers as FIDE President.
                    The fact is he is still President but with reduced powers. FIDE is dreaming that the US Department of The Treasury would find this acceptable. Any organization in the US ie World Chess Championship sponsors would likely protect themselves by applying for an exemption with the US Treasury to do business with FIDE as long as Kirsan remains as president, reduced powers or otherwise. By the way when Canada follows suit as they have done in the past the CFC would also have to apply for an exemption in order to accept or transfer funds to FIDE with Kirsan at the helm.
                    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Tuesday, 26th January, 2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The posts on this thread indicate that:

1) FIDE has very serious ethical problems, which don't seem to be improving; this should be absolutely no surprise to anyone who has followed international chess during the past 40 years;

2) many Canadians who contribute to chess development have concerns with how past episodes have been handled by CFC leadership; I put myself in that category, with good reason;

3) Mr. Belzberg, who has contributed enormously to Canadian chess development and growth (many important events simply wouldn't have happened to the same degree of success but for his involvement) has significant issues with the current president of the CFC, Mr. Drkulec, and has chosen to withhold potential future sponsorship because of this.

I would urge Mr. Belzberg and Mr. Drkulec to meet face-to-face, as soon as possible, to discuss their differences, with aim towards mutual reconciliation.

The fact is that Mr. Drkulec has made important progress since becoming CFC president. Yes, there is much more to do. But very few things in chess would please me more than to see Mr. Belzberg once more involved in Canadian chess in a major way! :)

Cheers,
                      Frank Dixon
                      Kingston

Comment

... at the 4Q Presidential Board meeting held at Athens in December 2015, Mr. Ilyumzhinov announced that he was asking to temporary step down, transferring all his functions in FIDE to the Deputy President according to FIDE Statutes. This was in order to protect FIDE and to have time to deal with the USA sanctions. His proposal was almost unanimously accepted by the Presidential Board and it was published on the FIDE web site.

Jorge Vega

Vlad, I think this comment would have more credibility if Kirsan was not still shown on the FIDE website as President. Perhaps, we should urge them to update their website? I'm just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Vlad, I think this comment would have more credibility if Kirsan was not still shown on the FIDE website as President. Perhaps, we should urge them to update their website? I'm just saying...
                          Nothing for FIDE to update the statement clearly says Kirsan is still President with reduced powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                            I don't what GM Kasparov would have been able to accomplish having not to sail into the wind ...but I have a strong sense it could have been on many levels prosperous fresh start for FIDE. GMA & PCA didn't have the roots as that of FIDE. Perhaps, not a fair comparison?
                            I don't think anything with Kasparov ends up being a fresh start. I read a great quote about him once that went something along the lines of "He sees a project, he has a million giant ideas of how to do it, he takes control of it, and when the real work needs to start, something new catches his attention".

Cleaning up FIDE is going to be a major project with a ton of absolutely garbage work required, and a person like Kasparov is used to having their words go unchallenged. That's fine when you're talking about chess and you're quite likely the greatest player ever. Not so much in the business world, unless he can show a clear proven track record of how what he says has worked. His past record is a range of failed organizations, so it's unclear why (or even if) others should listen to him.

Essentially, where I come down on the side in Kirsan vs Kasparov...blech. Where's the none of the above option? The person out there might exist to clean up FIDE, but I'm 100% sure it's not Kasparov (or Kirsan).

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                              Nothing for FIDE to update the statement clearly says Kirsan is still President with reduced powers.
                              He is still president with no powers at the moment. If this is a stumbling block for the U.S., it will be a pity, as the U.S. has a strong team for the Olympiad as well as several players that might go far in the next world championship cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen
                                His past record is a range of failed organizations, so it's unclear why (or even if) others should listen to him.
                                Like many successful people Garry has had both failures and successes in his life. I am going to talk for a moment about some successes in his life outside of his chess games. For many years Alicia and I were on the board of the Kasparov Chess foundation. The goal of this organization is to make chess a part of the curriculum in schools and not just an after school optional activity. This organization has spread to many countries and the courses it has offered to allow non chess playing teachers to learn the basics of the game and pass on that knowledge to students has a great track record of working. I have watched Garry give master classes to talented young players that the system has produced and it really was a sight to behold.
                                Garry assembled a great team of strong financial supporters and delegated the organizations day to management to the very able president Michael Khordokvsky who has done a phenomenal job. Among others on Garry's team include chess patron Rex Sinquefeld who started the incredible St Louis Chess center that is a world class hub of chess activity. Garry has evolved over the years to a very capable leader that knows how to delegate and respect the input of others even if it is contrary to his views.
                                It is a great tragedy for the chess world that they did not seize on the opportunity to truly clean up FIDE. Now FIDE is in a state where it's very ability to function normally is in question with its fragile leadership structure where Kirsan remains president with certain powers reduced. Given reports by chess.com on "proposed agreements" that show secretly run operations by Kirsan see below I think it is very unlikely that the US Department of The Treasury would give FIDE an exemption from sanctions with Kirsan at the helm even with reduced powers. I think Kirsan would simply not be trusted by The US Department of The Treasury to stay within the boundaries imposed by FIDE on his presidency.
                                Originally posted by Chess.com
                                Chess.com has obtained a document that suggests that Agon, Andrew Paulson's company that holds the rights to organize chess events in the World Championship cycle, is secretly run by Kirsan Ilyumzhinov himself. According to the contract, which is signed by both the FIDE President and Mr Paulson, it is Mr Ilyumzhinov who owns 51% of the shares. Both Mr Ilyumzhinov and Mr Paulson deny that the contract is in effect, but according to Malcolm Pein, Mr Paulson “has said on at least two occasions that Kirsan is the majority shareholder.”

Note: Chess.com can neither confirm nor deny that the “logistics” and “operating procedures” listed in the contract below have been in practice for the last couple years. However, it has been confirmed by Andrew Paulson, among other sources, that the documents are valid (meaning they exist). Whereas one source (Mr Pein) told Chess.com that Mr Paulson stated the opposite in at least two conversations, it should be noted that the contract is currently being claimed (by Mr. Paulson among other FIDE representatives) as an “early draft” of the possible agreement between FIDE and Agon - and not something that has been in place.
                                In answer to assertions that the the fully disclosed Kasparov Leong deal somehow went against the rules for a charity such as the Kasparov Chess foundation it did not in any way as all interested parties in this organization were fully apprised and approved of this agreement. It was also suggested that Kirsan could not fulfill his promise to put $20,000,000.00 into FIDE because of sanctions is just silly. The promise was a full year and half before any sanctions were imposed.
                                Here is a post that Mig Greengard did on chess talk that is much more illuminating then what I can say that clearly shows why Canada would benefit from embracing Garry Kasparov.
                                Originally posted by Mig Greengard
                                Response to Canadian Fed Prez Drkulec
                                By Mig on July 30, 2014 15:05 | Permalink

[ The Chess Talk message board where I posted this reply to Canadian Federation president Vladimir Drkulec yesterday mysteriously shut down hours later. I'm not a suspicious guy, so I'm guessing it was caused by aliens. I'm just posting this in the long-dead Dirt (RIP) so I can send the link to a few people who wanted to read and/or share it. Sorry it's out of context, but it's clear enough. I fixed a few typos and unclear phrasings. - Mig ]

How do you spend money without first raising it? (And you miss that there are also KCF offices in Johannesburg, Brussels, Singapore, and Mexico City with their own budgets and programs and sponsors.) Do you think the money for this campaign and the private jets through LatAm and Africa were paid for on MasterCard? Do you think Rex Sinquefield is on the ticket so we can then not make good on the campaign's plans and promises? This election wouldn't even be competitive without massive amounts of private sponsorship so Garry could travel constantly and bring federation representatives together at events. Kirsan has done little but focus on how to retain power for 19 years and has rigged nearly every riggable thing possible. Combined with his Russian embassy support worldwide and very successful policy of keeping federations poor and dependent on FIDE and the Continental power verticals so they have to come begging for crumbs and tickets every four years, even challenging Ilyumzhinov was considered impossible.

When you're citing loony stuff like the above [Spraggett] there's obviously no hope of any rational dialogue about what is good for the chess world over the next four years. There are maybe six federations who would go against Kasparov because of his politics and they are all ex-Soviet and/or are tightly in the Kremlin orbit. If the rest actually cared about politics they'd be far more concerned about Ilyumzhinov's FIDE now being completely dependent on Putin's increasingly rogue and sanctioned Russia. As for the rest, as Nigel Short put it well, nobody who supports Kirsan talks about his recent record or his future plans at all. (Nor does Kirsan himself, and nobody on his ticket campaigns or speaks at all other than Makro.) His supporters are either getting something or are afraid of losing something (or both).

That's the way the system has been designed, so FIDE is the boss and every four years the federations come begging for chump change for their votes. And then, votes counted, all those nice Kirsan promises vanish every single time. This is why Kasparov and Leong put things in writing, which of course provided an easy target. Nobody likes to see the sausage being made but it's a lot better when everyone can see what goes into it. The contracts specify that all the money goes into chess, not to individuals. And it's signed, so win or lose, the money goes to chess. Chess! Imagine! Of course Kirsan wants to keep everything under the table. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to pay one guy than to actually support chess organizations in writing.

Eliminate the fees, the debts, and return power to the federations. Sponsor THEM, work with them to obtain local sponsorship, regional partnerships, and scholastic programs. We've been doing it for years; this isn't just theory or pretty words. FIDE should have been in education and online initiatives, oh, 19 years ago. Instead the only new initiatives have been repeated versions of Agon (FIDE Commerce, CNC, et al) where Ilyumzhinov, Makro, and their gang squeeze even more money out for themselves. You think that's going to be an issue with Garry? With anyone on his ticket? Pffft. Money out or money in, it's a pretty clear choice on that front.

Anyway, we hope for the best for Canadian chess, Mr. Drkulec. I do hope you got something that will benefit your organization and members for your support of Ilyumzhinov. Tromsø tickets for the teams, at least? A few seminars or an event or two? I mean, all of these impassioned attacks on Kasparov would be truly embarrassing if you were the only one in the world doing it for free.

My inbox is always open if you or anyone there would actually like to talk about building up the future of chess in Canada and the world. Garry's is as well. We don't give up on any president or any country because we don't give up on any players and kids who deserve better and who deserve not to be punished for political squabbles they care little about. Let's talk chess in schools in Canada. Let's talk bringing thousands of new members into the system by incorporating online players and bundling them into an attractive demographic for sponsors in Canada and globally. Let's talk you and Canada being an essential member of new FIDE commissions based on language and other more useful and rational categorizations than continents. (The official Americas Continental website is only in Spanish. Still blows my mind. Sorry, USA and Canada and most of the Caribbean!)

Saludos, Mig
                                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 28th January, 2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X